Old May 3rd 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Things Named After The Current Queen

In message , at 08:27:15 on Wed, 3 May
2017, d remarked:

OTOH cars are looking pretty good these days, its hard to find
a really ugly one anymore

Plenty of them are really ugly. The Nissan Joke, for example.
Old May 3rd 17, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 May 2017 10:13:06 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:27:15 on Wed, 3 May
2017, d remarked:

OTOH cars are looking pretty good these days, its hard to find
a really ugly one anymore

Plenty of them are really ugly. The Nissan Joke, for example.

Well alright, I didn't say there weren't any. But everyday car design (obviously
not ferraris etc) went down the toilet from the mid 70s to about the late 90s
but in the last 15 or so years its improved immensely IMO.

--
Spud

Old May 3rd 17, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 May 2017 10:04:38 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 3 May 2017 00:25:14 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2017\05\02 22:59,
wrote:

Phew , I half expected to open that and find that it had been
demolished by an errant road sweeper or worse been uprooted and swiped
for some town or city's twee improved pedestrian area with newly laid
cobbles and reproduction Edwardian lampposts till I noticed the 2014
date.

Either a thing looks nice or it doesn't. Why was it okay for Edwardians
to make things that looked nice but it's not okay for us? The people who
make beauty in the age of ugliness deserve praise, not criticism.

Was there an age of beauty? Every era has a proportion of both
pleasant and nasty ambiences.
We often forget the latter, Terminal stations were fairly unpleasant
places with the fug of numerous steam and later diesel locos exhaust
filling the air but a single celebrity steamer into such a station now
brings out nostalgia most of which is now inherited memories rather
than first hand experience.
Agree things should look nice but just loosely copying Edwardian
street furniture sometimes looks a bit contrived, it needs the area
covered in Horse muck to be realistic.
There is plenty of good modern design around.

Anyway the Gist of my post was that something genuine and still in its
original location may have been swiped for use elsewhere to add
something authentic amongst all the replicas.

G.Harman

You might enjoy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTaAZMgDPI

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 8th 17, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 00:33:07 +0100
wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:44:31 +0000 (UTC),

Fashions change, of course. For example, the late Victorian Tower Bridge is
now highly regarded as one of London's icons, but was much criticised when
built.
The Eiffel Tower was widely seen as hideous when it was built but now its
the de facto symbol of France. However I'm probably in the tiny minority who
think its detractors were right - it is butt ugly and looks like an
electricity pylon on steroids IMO.

You'll be glad the English one was stillborn then.
http://spiritofmirko.com/wp-content/...tower_1900.jpg

I presume there would have been more to it than that? Unless thats all they
could afford!

That's when the money ran out. It had been intended to be 150' taller than
the French original. All part of Watkin's Metroland vision. Wembley
Stadium's Twin Towers were later built on top of the old tower's
foundations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkin%27s_Tower