London Banter

-   -   Oyster and Contactless on NR (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15416-oyster-contactless-nr.html)

[email protected] September 1st 17 11:14 AM

Oyster and Contactless on NR

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 11:20:33 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 01/09/2017 09:33, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
They are not quite real time online, but the Deny list is propagated within

a few minutes to the bus ticket machines.

Sounds pretty much like the architecture I described then!

I wonder if an alert goes off if a denied card has been used recently and
the person could still be on the bus. Or whether for 1.50 its not worth the
hassle of calling the police.

--
Spud

John Levine September 1st 17 12:23 PM

In article , wrote:
I wonder if an alert goes off if a denied card has been used recently and
the person could still be on the bus. Or whether for 1.50 its not worth the
hassle of calling the police.

What are they going to do -- stop the bus and frisk everyone until
they find the wicked card? At whicn point the holder will (quite
possibly truthfully) say, oh, sorry, I meant to use my other card.

There's a reason that transit systems increasingly use proof of
payment rather than gates.

Neil Williams September 1st 17 12:39 PM

On 2017-09-01 12:23:05 +0000, John Levine said:

There's a reason that transit systems increasingly use proof of
payment rather than gates.

Er, do they? European countries seem increasingly to be adding gates
to allow CPCs to be used.

It's only a matter of time before a CPC authorisation will be possible
in a fraction of a second.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] September 1st 17 12:46 PM

Oyster and Contactless on NR

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 12:23:05 -0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
In article , wrote:
I wonder if an alert goes off if a denied card has been used recently and
the person could still be on the bus. Or whether for 1.50 its not worth the
hassle of calling the police.

What are they going to do -- stop the bus and frisk everyone until
they find the wicked card? At whicn point the holder will (quite
possibly truthfully) say, oh, sorry, I meant to use my other card.

Buses have CCTV. They can match the bad card with the person quite easily.
And what if the card was stolen in a robbery? I imagine the police would be
quite happy to nick the person.

--
Spud

Matthew Dickinson September 1st 17 01:53 PM

Oyster and Contactless on NR

The 10p charge is authorised, or not within minutes.

It is then collated with all other touches during the day, and an amount is calculated with regard to capping that is debited the next day.

If the card has been placed on the Deny list, it will remain there until the outstanding fare for the card has been paid on the web page.

Clank September 1st 17 04:24 PM

On 2017-09-01 12:23:05 +0000, John Levine said:

There's a reason that transit systems increasingly use proof of
payment rather than gates.

Er, do they? European countries seem increasingly to be adding gates
to allow CPCs to be used.

It's only a matter of time before a CPC authorisation will be possible
in a fraction of a second.

Here in Buc we now (finally) have Contactless on all the Metrou gates (until
this year it was one or two of the old gates at each station with a
somewhat botched-on card reader, but now all the gatelines seem to have
been replaced with shiny new ones.) On the other hand, they replace (well,
supplement really) the old-school cardboard carnet style tickets with a
little dot-matrix printer that prints your remaining journeys on the ticket
each time you check in (in case anyone thinks this is uniquely backward,
I'm pretty sure NY had the same type last time I was there, although it was
a while ago), so contactless is no slower. The sort of throughputs that
(say) Victoria tube station requires are not the norm internationally.

Anyway, this still doesn't assume it's pay-later. In Bucharest the
communications infrastructure is top notch (my home broadband is 350Mb/s
actual achieved speed for 10eur/month - I could have 1Gb/s for about two
euro more) so all card transactions are authorised online. That's one
reason we have no limit for contactless transactions. (Here we implement
the Contactless+PIN part of the EMV standard that the UK ignores, because
the PIN is always validated online and not by the card chip.)

Matthew Dickinson September 1st 17 08:02 PM

Oyster and Contactless on NR

Barclays use online PIN for their app which is their alternative to Android Pay.

tim... September 4th 17 02:16 PM

Oyster and Contactless on NR

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:14:27 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017,
d remarked:

Isnt't the max for contactless £40, hence that has to be the limit of
liability.

It seems to go up all the time.

I'm not aware it's increased above £30, a limit set in Sept 2015.

1) it's hasn't

2) was it really that long ago :-)

tim

tim... September 4th 17 02:22 PM

John Levine wrote:
In article , wrote:
I wonder if an alert goes off if a denied card has been used recently and
the person could still be on the bus. Or whether for 1.50 its not worth
the
hassle of calling the police.

What are they going to do -- stop the bus and frisk everyone until
they find the wicked card? At whicn point the holder will (quite
possibly truthfully) say, oh, sorry, I meant to use my other card.

Buses have CCTV. They can match the bad card with the person quite easily.
And what if the card was stolen in a robbery? I imagine the police would
be
quite happy to nick the person.

yes but,

getting on a bus and using a card linked to an account which you didn't
realise was overdrawn is not, in anyone's world, going to be a criminal
offence

It a transport operator wants to deny travel to this type of customer, they
have to do just that "deny travel at point of entry", not attempt to
prosecute the pax with a non-existent law after you have let them travel.

tim