London Banter

-   -   Waterloo international (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15419-waterloo-international.html)

[email protected] August 8th 17 01:57 PM

Waterloo international

Wandered down to the refurbished platforms at waterloo international at
lunchtime which are now opened for suburban trains (for the time being). So
in ten years they've managed to reduce the length of the platforms to provide
a concourse, built a temporary bridge to the main concourse and put some
destination boards up.

Well I'm impressed. To think in the same time period the chinese have only
managed to build half a dozen new cities + infrastructure. Amateurs.

--
Spud

[email protected] August 8th 17 03:45 PM

Waterloo international

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 16:12:58 +0100
Tony Dragon wrote:
On 08-Aug-17 2:57 PM, d wrote:
Wandered down to the refurbished platforms at waterloo international at
lunchtime which are now opened for suburban trains (for the time being). So
in ten years they've managed to reduce the length of the platforms to provide
a concourse, built a temporary bridge to the main concourse and put some
destination boards up.

Well I'm impressed. To think in the same time period the chinese have only
managed to build half a dozen new cities + infrastructure. Amateurs.

--
Spud

Who are 'they'?

Santas little elves of course. Who did you think I meant, Network Rail?

--
Spud

[email protected] August 8th 17 03:52 PM

Waterloo international

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Well I'm impressed. To think in the same time period the chinese have only
managed to build half a dozen new cities + infrastructure. Amateurs.

True, but being a communist dictatorship with no need to worry about individual or property rights and environmental protection probably helps.
--
Roy

[email protected] August 8th 17 04:00 PM

Waterloo international

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 08:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Well I'm impressed. To think in the same time period the chinese have only
managed to build half a dozen new cities + infrastructure. Amateurs.

True, but being a communist dictatorship with no need to worry about
individual or property rights and environmental protection probably helps.

Even so, 10 years to do what amount to minor alterations and cosmetic changes
is just farcical. Given the overcrowing problems there have been at waterloo
for years this should have been done the minute the eurostar moved to St P.

--
Spud

e27002 aurora[_2_] August 8th 17 05:00 PM

London Waterloo international

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 13:57:53 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Wandered down to the refurbished platforms at waterloo international at
lunchtime which are now opened for suburban trains (for the time being). So
in ten years they've managed to reduce the length of the platforms to provide
a concourse, built a temporary bridge to the main concourse and put some
destination boards up.

Well I'm impressed. To think in the same time period the chinese have only
managed to build half a dozen new cities + infrastructure. Amateurs.

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

And surely the "hole" in the main concourse should have been covered,
rather than build a new remote concourse.

Graham Murray August 8th 17 07:50 PM

e27002 aurora writes:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

Why? Before the Waterloo International conversion, the Windsor line
services always used the high numbered platforms.

[email protected] August 9th 17 12:42 AM

London Waterloo international

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern trains
after the Waterloo blockade.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 12:59 AM

London Waterloo international

wrote:
In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern trains
after the Waterloo blockade.

Yes, I was intrigued by that: has it been used for service trains since
Eurostar decamped for SPIL?

[email protected] August 9th 17 08:43 AM

London Waterloo international

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 18:00:39 +0100
e27002 aurora wrote:
[...]

The best part is that in building this new concourse they've had to drastically
shorten all but one of the platforms there so scuppering any possibility of
stabling two 8 car trains in them. There was plenty of room down below where
the old eurostar concourse and waiting areas were, but no, thats not in use
any more. No doubt it'll just be more shops in 5-10 years time when they finally
get around to finishing the project.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 08:54 AM

e27002 aurora wrote:
[...]

Is that meant to be fact, or just opinion?

There was plenty of room down below where
the old eurostar concourse and waiting areas were, but no, thats not in use
any more. No doubt it'll just be more shops in 5-10 years time when they finally
get around to finishing the project.

How long do you think it is since this project started? How long will the
project take, from start to finish?

[email protected] August 9th 17 09:12 AM

London Waterloo international

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 08:54:23 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And surely the "hole" in the main concourse should have been covered,
rather than build a new remote concourse.

The best part is that in building this new concourse they've had to

drastically
shorten all but one of the platforms there so scuppering any possibility of
stabling two 8 car trains in them.

Is that meant to be fact, or just opinion?

A eurostar is approx 400m long. An 8 car 3rd rail EMU is 8*20 = 160m. x2 gives
320m. I'd have thought even you could have managed that maths. However now
they've lopped a considerable amount off the length of the platforms I doubt
two 8 cars would fit.

As for stabling 2 trains in the same platform - it happens elsewhere on the
network, why not at waterloo? Are you saying waterloo is somehow special?

There was plenty of room down below where
the old eurostar concourse and waiting areas were, but no, thats not in use
any more. No doubt it'll just be more shops in 5-10 years time when they

finally
get around to finishing the project.

How long do you think it is since this project started? How long will the
project take, from start to finish?

Well its taken BRB & NR 10 years to get this far, and its been over a year
since building work actually started for them to do frankly not very much.
I have little confidence the refurbishment of the 2 floors below will be
finished anytime soon.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 09:23 AM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And surely the "hole" in the main concourse should have been covered,
rather than build a new remote concourse.

The best part is that in building this new concourse they've had to

drastically
shorten all but one of the platforms there so scuppering any possibility of
stabling two 8 car trains in them.

Is that meant to be fact, or just opinion?

A eurostar is approx 400m long. An 8 car 3rd rail EMU is 8*20 = 160m. x2 gives
320m. I'd have thought even you could have managed that maths.

Yes, and unlike you, I'm not ignorant.

However now
they've lopped a considerable amount off the length of the platforms I doubt
two 8 cars would fit.

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room for 2x8
car trains.

As for stabling 2 trains in the same platform - it happens elsewhere on the
network, why not at waterloo? Are you saying waterloo is somehow special?

No — where did I say that?

There was plenty of room down below where
the old eurostar concourse and waiting areas were, but no, thats not in use
any more. No doubt it'll just be more shops in 5-10 years time when they

finally
get around to finishing the project.

How long do you think it is since this project started? How long will the
project take, from start to finish?

Well its taken BRB & NR 10 years to get this far, and its been over a year
since building work actually started for them to do frankly not very much.
I have little confidence the refurbishment of the 2 floors below will be
finished anytime soon.

I'm sure they'll be devastated that an ignoramus like you has little
confidence in this large project you know so little about.

From
http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...pgrade-london/

The site preparation works on the station upgrade began in October 2015 and
construction works began in December 2015. The Waterloo International
station was closed for all trains services in April 2016 for construction.

Platform 20 will be returned to Network Rail and train services will be
reinstated by February 2017, while platforms 21 to 24 will be returned in
July 2017, and former international terminal will be opened for temporary
use in August 2017. The station will be closed again for passenger services
so that the remaining construction works can be completed.

Platforms 1 to 4 on the suburban network will be operated with ten-carriage
services from December 2017 during the morning and evening peak periods.

Platforms 21 to 24 will be opened and additional train services operating
on a new timetable starting from December 2018.

…

The consortium consisting of Skanska, Colas Rail, Aecom and Mott MacDonald
was awarded with a £400m ($592.08m) contract to upgrade the Waterloo
station in January 2016.

The contractual scope includes bringing the international terminal at the
station back into use for domestic train services and increasing the length
of certain station platforms.

It also includes delivering track alterations, signalling, communications,
buildings and civil infrastructure along the Wessex Route and at Waterloo,
Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Richmond, Wimbledon and Surbiton stations.

——

It all seems to be going exactly to plan so far, even without your expert
guidance.

Now, what was that about you claiming you didn't pour scorn on projects you
knew little about?

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 09:55 AM

BrianW wrote:
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes. I imagine they'll be about as devastated as HS2 were to learn that
Mr Bell lost all respect for them.

At least Mr Bell makes a real effort to understand the official plan before
politely denouncing it. Spud routinely scorns projects about which he knows
nothing.

[email protected] August 9th 17 10:55 AM

London Waterloo international

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 09:23:25 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
A eurostar is approx 400m long. An 8 car 3rd rail EMU is 8*20 = 160m. x2

gives
320m. I'd have thought even you could have managed that maths.

Yes, and unlike you, I'm not ignorant.

I guess you were just having a senior moment and couldn't work it out then eh?

However now
they've lopped a considerable amount off the length of the platforms I doubt
two 8 cars would fit.

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room for 2x8
car trains.

It looks somewhat more than 50m to me.

As for stabling 2 trains in the same platform - it happens elsewhere on the
network, why not at waterloo? Are you saying waterloo is somehow special?

No — where did I say that?

Then what exactly were you wibbling about then? Or any excuse to have a go eh?

Well its taken BRB & NR 10 years to get this far, and its been over a year
since building work actually started for them to do frankly not very much.
I have little confidence the refurbishment of the 2 floors below will be
finished anytime soon.

I'm sure they'll be devastated that an ignoramus like you has little
confidence in this large project you know so little about.

I don't need to know the details to know that 10 years to do such a small
amount of work is a ****ing joke.

The site preparation works on the station upgrade began in October 2015 and
construction works began in December 2015. The Waterloo International
station was closed for all trains services in April 2016 for construction.

Your cut and paste skills are impressive, you could get a job as a secretary
yet. Keep trying.

It all seems to be going exactly to plan so far, even without your expert
guidance.

Yes, and we all know how reliable timescales are on the railways when it comes
to engineering works.

Now, what was that about you claiming you didn't pour scorn on projects you
knew little about?

You willful misunderstanding of someones position in a feeble attempt to score
points really are tragic.

--
Spud

Graeme Wall August 9th 17 11:46 AM

e27002 aurora wrote:
[...]

As far as I can make out the platform ends are at the same place they
were in E* days.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 12:06 PM

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\08\09 10:23, Recliner wrote:

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room for 2x8
car trains.

They've moved the trains 50 metres further from the tubes / buses /
taxis? Why?

Only on the former international platforms. As I said, to create the new,
higher level concourse and gate line.

Roland Perry August 9th 17 12:14 PM

London Waterloo international

In message , at 13:07:05 on Wed, 9 Aug 2017,
Basil Jet remarked:

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room
for 2x8 car trains.

They've moved the trains 50 metres further from the tubes / buses /
taxis? Why?

DfT's keep-fit fanatic has moved his attention to Waterloo, given his
huge success at St Pancras and Kings Cross.

Graeme Wall August 9th 17 12:36 PM

On 09/08/2017 13:07, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\08\09 10:23, Recliner wrote:

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room for
2x8
car trains.

They've moved the trains 50 metres further from the tubes / buses /
taxis? Why?

If they provide another route down to the TfL ticket office area from
the new concourse they could actually shorten the distance to the tube.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] August 9th 17 03:08 PM

London Waterloo international

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 13:07:05 on Wed, 9 Aug
2017, Basil Jet remarked:

They've moved the buffer stops by 50m, so there will still be room
for 2x8 car trains.

They've moved the trains 50 metres further from the tubes / buses /
taxis? Why?

DfT's keep-fit fanatic has moved his attention to Waterloo, given his
huge success at St Pancras and Kings Cross.

Given we had to walk from KGX platform 0 to St Pancras Eurostar departures
in the rain, having to register a railcard on an Oyster card on the way, our
walking distance was surprisingly short and entirely dry.

Just took two attempts at the card registration. Not only does the old main
Kings Cross St Pancras Underground ticket hall with its huge bank of
machines only have one person supporting it but he didn't have his requisite
card to log in to do the registration. So he sent us to the Western ticket
hall, not a problem today as it's on the way to Eurostar in the dry. There
were four staff there, even though it has fewer machines, one of whom was
able to do the registration quickly enough.

It also helped that we took the 1417 from Cambridge, at least half an hour
earlier than necessary and it arrived an unprecedented 5 1/4 minutes early.

So here we are waiting for our train, having got through security & passport
control more than an hour before our train departure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

e27002 aurora[_2_] August 9th 17 04:59 PM

London Waterloo international

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 20:50:43 +0100, Graham Murray
wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

Why? Before the Waterloo International conversion, the Windsor line
services always used the high numbered platforms.

IMHO it makes more sense for the longer distance, higher fare paying
passengers, to come into the more modern, better appointed facility.
There may also be opportunities for further platform and train
lengthening. Clearly opinions vary.

e27002 aurora[_2_] August 9th 17 05:02 PM

London Waterloo international

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 19:42:39 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern trains
after the Waterloo blockade.

One must ask why? South-eastern commuters can already access
Victoria, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Canon Street, London Bridge,
and Saint Pancras. Isn't that enough?! Do they really need access to
the SW side of Waterloo?

e27002 aurora[_2_] August 9th 17 05:05 PM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

More reason to make responsibility for track and infrastructure part
of the franchise commitment. D(a)ft and Network Rail together are
worthless.

e27002 aurora[_2_] August 9th 17 05:13 PM

London Waterloo international

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:10:45 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:36:34 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:05:22 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 13:59:05 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:
If by on time you mean 9 years later than it should have been completed due
incompetance, indifference and procrastination then sure.

This complex project is bang on time, so far at least.

Complex compared to what? Certainly not any of the other rail projects
happening in London at the moment.

Blame someone else for the long gap between Eurostar's departure and

Network Rail are to blame.

No, NR doesn't have the independence, authority or budget to launch huge
speculative station and track redevelopments like that. The DfT is in
charge and holds the purse strings tightly. Perhaps it has different
priorities to you for its finite investment funds?

The eurostar terminal could have been used pretty much as was. All they'd
have had to install would be gates and departure boards downstairs in the
former eurostar concourse and the track was already linked to the rest of the
network.

The platforms were the wrong height. Moreover, the track layout and
signalling may not have been appropriate for domestic traffic.
But, you are correct, in that after the international service moved to
Saint Pancras, DfT and Network Rail should have been considering
re-utilizing the station.

Roland Perry August 9th 17 05:44 PM

London Waterloo international

In message , at 18:13:20 on
Wed, 9 Aug 2017, e27002 aurora remarked:

you are correct, in that after the international service moved to
Saint Pancras, DfT and Network Rail should have been considering
re-utilizing the station.

They were, but it took a while for them to decide.

Graeme Wall August 9th 17 06:38 PM

d wrote:
[...]

Who actually owned it?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Tony Dragon August 9th 17 07:02 PM

d wrote:
[...]

IIRC the track layout gave access to only a couple of the lines out of
Waterloo, those that were used by Eurostar.

---

Tony Dragon August 9th 17 07:07 PM

On 09/08/2017 18:02, e27002 aurora wrote:
On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 19:42:39 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern trains
after the Waterloo blockade.

One must ask why? South-eastern commuters can already access
Victoria, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Canon Street, London Bridge,
and Saint Pancras. Isn't that enough?! Do they really need access to
the SW side of Waterloo?

IIRC they are only using Waterloo because of the London Bridge work.

---

Basil Jet[_4_] August 9th 17 08:08 PM

wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

Why? Before the Waterloo International conversion, the Windsor line
services always used the high numbered platforms.

IMHO it makes more sense for the longer distance, higher fare paying
passengers, to come into the more modern, better appointed facility.
There may also be opportunities for further platform and train
lengthening. Clearly opinions vary.

I think that is the maddest suggestion I've ever seen here. Surely it
would be better value for money to leave the flyover alone and renovate
the low numbered platforms up to the quality of the international
platforms, so that all passengers would have a high quality terminal.

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 08:46 PM

Tony Dragon wrote:
On 09/08/2017 18:02, e27002 aurora wrote:
On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 19:42:39 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

The whole thing is pitiful. The Nine Elms flyover needs to be torn
down and replaced with a flyover to take the Windsor lines over the
fast-main pair. Bournemouth and Portsmouth passengers should be
arriving into the "International" platforms, not Staines and Windsor
passengers.

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern trains
after the Waterloo blockade.

One must ask why? South-eastern commuters can already access
Victoria, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Canon Street, London Bridge,
and Saint Pancras. Isn't that enough?! Do they really need access to
the SW side of Waterloo?

IIRC they are only using Waterloo because of the London Bridge work.

And only for a week, I think.

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 08:56 PM

e27002 aurora wrote:
[...]

I think that will be used to provide natural light to the new retail zone
beneath:

https://www.corstorphine-wright.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/D_Internal2.RGB_color_with-people.jpg

The bridge, of course, is sloped, as the new platforms and concourse are
about 5 feet higher than the old ones.

Graeme Wall August 9th 17 09:15 PM

wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

[...]

I doubt there's a lot of difference between the actual platforms.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] August 9th 17 09:29 PM

wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

[...]

Presumably Adrian would prefer to arrive in the high numbered former
international platforms as they're in the extreme right wing of the
station?

[email protected] August 9th 17 09:47 PM

London Waterloo international

wrote:

The Nine Elms flyover is being pressed into service for Southeastern
trains after the Waterloo blockade.

One must ask why? South-eastern commuters can already access
Victoria, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Canon Street, London Bridge,
and Saint Pancras. Isn't that enough?! Do they really need access to
the SW side of Waterloo?

IIRC they are only using Waterloo because of the London Bridge work.

Indeed. Southeastern tweeted just that earlier today. Only some are being
diverted to Waterloo. others are going to Victoria and elsewhere.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 9th 17 09:47 PM

Recliner wrote:

Well its taken BRB & NR 10 years to get this far, and its been over a
year since building work actually started for them to do frankly not very
much. I have little confidence the refurbishment of the 2 floors below
will be finished anytime soon.

More reason to make responsibility for track and infrastructure part
of the franchise commitment. D(a)ft and Network Rail together are
worthless.

That's all very well until more than one company runs trains on the tracks,
especially freight companies.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 9th 17 09:47 PM

d wrote:
If by on time you mean 9 years later than it should have been
completed due to incompetance, indifference and procrastination
[...]

Eurostar's approach to Waterloo International from Linford St flyover was
essentially single track. Even with the alterations, trains from platforms
20-24 can only reach two of the eight tracks to Vauxhall. There was a plan
to fit an extra link in which would have given access to all 8 tracks but it
was cut to save money.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] August 9th 17 10:05 PM

wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

[...]

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, except for the pretty roof.
But imagine that the east half of Victoria was tarted up, and they
decided to build a flyover so the Brighton lines could use it. Then
twenty years later the west half is tarted up to be nicer than the east
half, so they demolish the flyover. Then twenty years later they tart up
the east side again and rebuild the flyover. Even Michael Bell wouldn't
dream of advocating such a thing.

Graeme Wall August 10th 17 06:58 AM

wrote:

e27002 aurora writes:

[...]

ROTFL

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] August 10th 17 08:29 AM

London Waterloo international

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 18:13:20 +0100
e27002 aurora wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:10:45 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
The eurostar terminal could have been used pretty much as was. All they'd
have had to install would be gates and departure boards downstairs in the
former eurostar concourse and the track was already linked to the rest of the
network.

The platforms were the wrong height. Moreover, the track layout and

I'll have to go back and see if they've raised them. It didn't look as though
they had when I went there on tuesday and lowering the track is obviously
not feasible.

signalling may not have been appropriate for domestic traffic.

Sure, they'd have had to install some points and redo signalling interlocking
but how long would that take at worst, 6 months?

But, you are correct, in that after the international service moved to
Saint Pancras, DfT and Network Rail should have been considering
re-utilizing the station.

Given the recent new rail projects given the go ahead one can only hope the
view of rail being a liability that seems to have been prevelant in the DfT
for years is slowly going by the wayside.

--
Spud