Old August 19th 17, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A New Yorker's simple wonder at LU+LO

We take things for granted in London. But here's a New Yorker's reaction to
a fairly straightforward journey through London:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/london-underground-better-than-nyc-subway-2017-8/#canonbury-safe-and-sound-20

[Yes, I know 378s aren't articulated, and that the LO tunnels are a *lot*
more ancient than the JLE.]

Old August 19th 17, 12:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\08\19 00:07, Recliner wrote:
We take things for granted in London. But here's a New Yorker's reaction to
a fairly straightforward journey through London:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/london-underground-better-than-nyc-subway-2017-8/#canonbury-safe-and-sound-20

[Yes, I know 378s aren't articulated, and that the LO tunnels are a *lot*
more ancient than the JLE.]

Lovely picture of Shoreditch, not!

I notice the Overground at Canada Water has what look like National Rail
next train displays, which use the second line to list intermediate
stations. Surely it had LU ones when it was part of LU. Since LO doesn't
have multiple calling patterns (apart from Hackney Downs - Bethnal
Green), I'm not sure why they downgraded the displays. Were the LU ones
junked? They must be an expensive bit of kit.
Old August 19th 17, 01:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\08\19 00:07, Recliner wrote:
We take things for granted in London. But here's a New Yorker's reaction to
a fairly straightforward journey through London:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/london-underground-better-than-nyc-subway-2017-8/#canonbury-safe-and-sound-20

[Yes, I know 378s aren't articulated, and that the LO tunnels are a *lot*
more ancient than the JLE.]

Lovely picture of Shoreditch, not!

I notice the Overground at Canada Water has what look like National Rail
next train displays, which use the second line to list intermediate
stations. Surely it had LU ones when it was part of LU. Since LO doesn't
have multiple calling patterns (apart from Hackney Downs - Bethnal
Green), I'm not sure why they downgraded the displays. Were the LU ones
junked? They must be an expensive bit of kit.

It's now an NR line, and will use the same data feeds at the former LU
stations as at NR stations. I'm sure any old LU kit that's still relevant
could have been re-used elsewhere on LU. I don't recall how the now-LO
platforms were fitted out when they served the LU ELL. I wouldn't be
surprised if it was fairly basic, like most things on the old ELL.

Old August 19th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 00:48:38 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

I notice the Overground at Canada Water has what look like National Rail
next train displays, which use the second line to list intermediate
stations. Surely it had LU ones when it was part of LU. Since LO doesn't
have multiple calling patterns (apart from Hackney Downs - Bethnal
Green), I'm not sure why they downgraded the displays. Were the LU ones
junked? They must be an expensive bit of kit.

Surely that's an upgrade? Now you know where the train will stop.
Anyway, it's NR, whatever the staff think!

Richard.
Old August 19th 17, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I notice the Overground at Canada Water has what look like National Rail
next train displays, which use the second line to list intermediate
stations. Surely it had LU ones when it was part of LU. Since LO doesn't
have multiple calling patterns (apart from Hackney Downs - Bethnal
Green), I'm not sure why they downgraded the displays. Were the LU ones
junked? They must be an expensive bit of kit.

Surely that's an upgrade? Now you know where the train will stop.

Why waste a line to tell you that every train stops everywhere?

If it was down to me, there would be an enamel sign that said "Next two
trains to Dalston Junction wx,yz minutes" with the wxyz replaced by LED
digits, and one that said "Next two trains to Highbury & Islington wx,rs
minutes". Beneath that a single row dot matrix could display general
messages.

Old August 21st 17, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 19 August 2017 00:12:12 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
We take things for granted in London. But here's a New Yorker's reaction to
a fairly straightforward journey through London:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/london-underground-better-than-nyc-subway-2017-8/#canonbury-safe-and-sound-20

[Yes, I know 378s aren't articulated, and that the LO tunnels are a *lot*
more ancient than the JLE.]

I'm more bemused as to how Canonbury is Stoke Newington. Newington Green is walkable from Canonbury but Stoke Newington itself is a bus ride away.

I know New Yorkers are having real problems with their public transit system at the moment but it wasn't exactly dire when I travelled on it a number of years ago. The Subway was pretty frequent, the trains were clean and air conditioned and buses seemed regular enough. Subway stations were a bit delapidated but track and signal repair / upgrades had the priority then. I wonder if the writer would have the same view if he travelled in the rush hour in London? Doubtful given how hard it can be to crush inside tubes and trains.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old August 28th 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
We take things for granted in London. But here's a New Yorker's reaction
a fairly straightforward journey through London:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/london-underground-better-than-nyc-subway-2017-8/#canonbury-safe-and-sound-20

I bet he didn't need to make a journey at 3am on a Tuesday

he might get a different answer to that problem :-)

tim