London Banter

-   -   SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15435-swt-nr-deep-alliance-deep.html)

[email protected] August 26th 17 05:23 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:13:52 on Sat, 26 Aug 2017,
remarked:

Network cards are not relevant to Oyster because
they can't give rise to discount entitlements on Oyster.

Why not, if you are using Oyster to make an NR journey (I've
travelled Vauxhall to Waterloo on SWT before now).

Not sure what this means with my response corrected.

It means: where's the justice in being able to use a Network Card to
get a cheaper paper ticket, but not a cheaper Oyster trip?

Yes, there are some minimum fares with Network Cards but not at
weekends, and now Oyster is accepted at Gatwick and Shenfield that
must be more than £15 on weekdays [Later: yes fares Gatwick-Shenfield
at least £20]

Whatever. The Network Card has never been included in Oyster discounts.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell August 30th 17 01:32 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 02:14:56PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

There are no restrictions on when the discount for a Disabled railcard
applies.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Computer Science is about lofty design goals and careful algorithmic
optimisation. Sysadminning is about cleaning up the resulting mess.

David Cantrell August 30th 17 01:35 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 05:13:52AM -0500, wrote:

"Holders of Disabled Persons Railcards can also get discounted travel during
peak hours"

I wonder how that works if the Railcard flag doesn't distinguish railcard
types?

I don't know (and frankly don't care) how it's implemented, but I can
confirm that the disabled railcard discount on Oyster PAYG works at any
time of day.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

You know you're getting old when you fancy the
teenager's parent and ignore the teenager
-- Paul M in uknot

Roland Perry August 30th 17 03:03 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In message , at 14:32:34
on Wed, 30 Aug 2017, David Cantrell remarked:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

There are no restrictions on when the discount for a Disabled railcard
applies.

If true, it makes it even stranger that TfL are refusing to
differentiate between different railcards when applying discounts.

[email protected] August 30th 17 07:34 PM

wrote:

In message , at
14:32:34 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017, David Cantrell
remarked:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

There are no restrictions on when the discount for a Disabled railcard
applies.

If true, it makes it even stranger that TfL are refusing to
differentiate between different railcards when applying discounts.

We are assuming that the railcard number, which is recorded against the
card, doesn't make the railcard type clear.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Someone Somewhere August 30th 17 08:54 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

On 30/08/2017 20:34, wrote:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
14:32:34 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017, David Cantrell
remarked:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

There are no restrictions on when the discount for a Disabled railcard
applies.

If true, it makes it even stranger that TfL are refusing to
differentiate between different railcards when applying discounts.

We are assuming that the railcard number, which is recorded against the
card, doesn't make the railcard type clear.

But isn't the key thing about the Oyster card system is that it is
somewhat disconnected - ie it doesn't rely on a backend query to be able
to do anything?

[email protected] August 30th 17 11:52 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 30/08/2017 20:34,
wrote:
In article ,

(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message , at
14:32:34 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017, David Cantrell
remarked:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard
is "off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled
Railcard is "After 9.30am".

There are no restrictions on when the discount for a Disabled railcard
applies.

If true, it makes it even stranger that TfL are refusing to
differentiate between different railcards when applying discounts.

We are assuming that the railcard number, which is recorded against the
card, doesn't make the railcard type clear.

But isn't the key thing about the Oyster card system is that it is
somewhat disconnected - ie it doesn't rely on a backend query to be
able to do anything?

The number is recorded on the Oyster card.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Martin Coffee[_4_] September 28th 17 12:12 PM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

On 25/08/17 14:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:23:53 on
Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Richard remarked:
[Choice of Railcards on SWR]
This is an ongoing trend. When I had TfL u my senior card onto my Oyster
recently, the only option the hilariously mardy and untrained roving
chappie had to pick was "National Rail Cards". He insisted they were all
treated as one now when it came to validity (mainly time of day, I
suppose). I very much doubt that!

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

With the exception that the Senior Railcard has identical morning
restrictions as the Network one for journeys wholly within the Network area.

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...discounts-and-
concessions/railcards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but for
National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.

[email protected] September 28th 17 11:06 PM

(Martin Coffee) wrote:

On 25/08/17 14:14, Roland Perry wrote:

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is
"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

With the exception that the Senior Railcard has identical morning
restrictions as the Network one for journeys wholly within the
Network area.

No. From my actual experience, Roland is right. Only the Network Card has
the "no travel before 10 am" restriction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 29th 17 05:46 AM

SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In message , at 13:12:13 on Thu, 28
Sep 2017, Martin Coffee remarked:
[...]

No!!! That's precisely the point I was making.

For example, from where I live (within the NSE area) the first trains I
can use a

Senior Card: depart 08:58, arr London 10:13 (1st opportunity to arrive
after 10am)

Network Card: depart 10:07, arr London 11:32 (1st opportunity to depart
after 10am)

in practice, one would get the next, and faster, train:

depart 10:25, arr London 11:35.

The Senior card has the same restriction as an Off-peak ticket, whereas
the Network Card is so restricted as to be useless for doing anything in
London before noon.