Old April 9th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Trams

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:21:38 +0100, in uk.transport.buses "Alan J.
Flavell" wrote:

|On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Neil Williams wrote:
|
| On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:02:06 +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
|
| Even the tired old things that I remember from school days in
| Wolverhampton provided a fine service (occasional dewirements
| excepted). Journey times were increased by a considerable factor when
| they were replaced by motor buses.
|
| The motor buses *of the day*.
|
|Sure. What else would it be fair to compare them with?
|
| Today, acceleration is much faster, and emissions much lower.
|
|Recent trolleybuses are also much better than those old 1950's models
|that I dimly remember. I can't help suspecting that some of those
|folks who are so anti trolleybuses haven't travelled on a recent one,
|and are comparing modern diesel buses with their memories of old
|trolleybuses.

I occasionally drive trolleybuses for the Black Country Museum and
they still out perform the buses I drive for work.

--
Pete Baggett
My Web Page:-

Old April 9th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Boltar) wrote:

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
. gla.ac.uk...
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Boltar wrote:

Indeed. Trolleybusses have the disadvantages of trams and busses
but the advantages of neither.

Untrue. They have some of the advantages and some of the
disadvantages of both.

Like busses they have a high rolling resistance, can only carry a
limited amount of people and will get stuck in traffic jams on ordinary
roads. Like trams they're limited to the routes of the wires. They're
only saving grace is being electricaly powered. Other than that I see no
advantage at all.

An advantage of both trams and trolleybuses over diesel buses that this
thread seems to have overlooked is that diesel engines are heavy
reciprocating machines. Therefore they tend to shake vehicles to bits,
shortening the life of diesel vehicles compared to electric vehicles.

A diesel engine also represents a much larger deadweight, especially in
these days of power electronics allowing lightweight three phase AC
motors. That's quite a few extra passengers on its own.

There are exceptions to this. Due to the Rolls Royce maintenance standards
in the first half of their lives, Routemasters have lasted longer than
their trolleybus predecessors by some margin. But in general electric rail
vehicles are good for a service life of 40 years while few buses pass half
that lifetime in service.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 9th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Pete Baggett" wrote in message

I occasionally drive trolleybuses for the Black Country Museum and
they still out perform the buses I drive for work.

Which buses are they?

Old April 10th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:18:47 +0100, in uk.transport.buses "David B"
wrote:

|"Pete Baggett" wrote in message
.. .

| I occasionally drive trolleybuses for the Black Country Museum and
| they still out perform the buses I drive for work.
|

|Which buses are they?

Optare Deltas, Optare Solos, Transbus Enviro 300s and a handful of Mk
1 Metrobuses. The Trolleybuses are Sunbeams the two fast ones dating
from 1955 and 1960.

Old April 10th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Pete Baggett wrote:

The Trolleybuses are Sunbeams the two fast ones dating
from 1955 and 1960.

Interesting to compare with (sorry about their clumsy URLs):

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Franc...SSIEMENS36.htm

Described as "Mégatrolleybus articulé" (57 seats plus 122 standing;
24m long overall, it says). OK, so TPG possess a grand total of 1 of
these beasts; I've no idea which route it might be found on, I've
never seen it in service myself (but have frequently used the number
10 trolleybus to/from Geneva airport). They appear to have several
dozen trolleybuses of a more conventional (bendy-bus) length, judging
from their list.

Overview of all their vehicles is at

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Franc...cVehicules.htm

Trams Rob Ferguson London Transport 0 April 1st 04 11:41 PM
Trams Boltar London Transport 1 April 1st 04 11:12 PM
Trams Robin Payne London Transport 1 April 1st 04 06:06 PM
Trams David Splett London Transport 0 April 1st 04 12:57 PM
Trams Edward Cowling London Transport 0 April 1st 04 11:03 AM