London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 31st 17, 04:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,004
Default London Bridge canopy detail

Parts of the canopies are linked by metal grids over the trains. They
look like they were put up to support a glass roof but the roof was
cancelled. Does anyone know what's going on? And why are they only a few
carriages long?

  #2   Report Post  
Old October 31st 17, 04:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 374
Default London Bridge canopy detail

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:00:00 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

Parts of the canopies are linked by metal grids over the trains. They
look like they were put up to support a glass roof but the roof was
cancelled. Does anyone know what's going on? And why are they only a few
carriages long?

People tend not to walk too far from the entrance even with a full
length canopy IME. Full length trains (TL being probably the main
exception) don't run all day but when they do there will tend to be
less time to wait while at other times the trains will be shorter.
Finally - it costs less money not to go all the way with canopies.
  #3   Report Post  
Old October 31st 17, 04:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,004
Default London Bridge canopy detail

On 2017\10\31 04:36, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:00:00 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

Parts of the canopies are linked by metal grids over the trains. They
look like they were put up to support a glass roof but the roof was
cancelled. Does anyone know what's going on? And why are they only a few
carriages long?

People tend not to walk too far from the entrance even with a full
length canopy IME. Full length trains (TL being probably the main
exception) don't run all day but when they do there will tend to be
less time to wait while at other times the trains will be shorter.
Finally - it costs less money not to go all the way with canopies.


The canopies are, I believe, full length, but the metal grid joining the
canopies over the tracks is a few carriages long.
  #4   Report Post  
Old October 31st 17, 06:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 374
Default London Bridge canopy detail

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:47:05 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2017\10\31 04:36, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:00:00 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

Parts of the canopies are linked by metal grids over the trains. They
look like they were put up to support a glass roof but the roof was
cancelled. Does anyone know what's going on? And why are they only a few
carriages long?

People tend not to walk too far from the entrance even with a full
length canopy IME. Full length trains (TL being probably the main
exception) don't run all day but when they do there will tend to be
less time to wait while at other times the trains will be shorter.
Finally - it costs less money not to go all the way with canopies.


The canopies are, I believe, full length, but the metal grid joining the
canopies over the tracks is a few carriages long.

Having looked at how the canopies' columns on the platforms were
flapping around in the breeze during construction in some of the time
lapse films, they look like the current function is horizontal bracing
so that in effect there is one overall roof (with holes) across
several tracks.

They might also come in handy for hanging some proper electrification
off at some time in the future. ;-)
  #5   Report Post  
Old October 31st 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 11
Default London Bridge canopy detail

On 31/10/2017 06:10, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:47:05 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2017\10\31 04:36, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 04:00:00 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

Parts of the canopies are linked by metal grids over the trains. They
look like they were put up to support a glass roof but the roof was
cancelled. Does anyone know what's going on? And why are they only a few
carriages long?

People tend not to walk too far from the entrance even with a full
length canopy IME. Full length trains (TL being probably the main
exception) don't run all day but when they do there will tend to be
less time to wait while at other times the trains will be shorter.
Finally - it costs less money not to go all the way with canopies.


The canopies are, I believe, full length, but the metal grid joining the
canopies over the tracks is a few carriages long.

Having looked at how the canopies' columns on the platforms were
flapping around in the breeze during construction in some of the time
lapse films, they look like the current function is horizontal bracing
so that in effect there is one overall roof (with holes) across
several tracks.

They might also come in handy for hanging some proper electrification
off at some time in the future. ;-)


Overhead at 6.6kV AC?




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
London Waterloo to London Bridge Crossrail e27002 aurora London Transport 0 October 9th 16 07:51 AM
Canopy design e27002 aurora London Transport 6 July 9th 15 08:42 PM
Waterloo to London Bridge for cheapjacks (London Terminals ticket) Michael R N Dolbear London Transport 31 December 15th 14 01:24 PM
Diversion of the South London Line from London Bridge Mwmbwls London Transport 13 October 28th 07 11:12 PM
East London Line - what happens to the London Bridge services? [email protected] London Transport 2 March 30th 06 11:35 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017