Old April 2nd 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
W K W K is offline

Default Green Party lunacy

"Redonda" wrote in message

In my Honda with its 2 litre, 12-valve, computer-controlled fuel-injection

can reach 80mph on a motorway with very little throttle movement and then
ease off the gas until I'm just feathering the pedal to maintain that

speed.
In this way I get better fuel consumption than in the urban cycle.

There's
no public road in this septic isle that will allow me to use full throttle
at maximum torque.

In town traffic I can do the same, ie keep in a higher gear at lower
revs/speed (20mph in 5th gear) and still be able to accelerate smoothly

with
just a twitch of my right toes. The only thing that adversely affects
consumption is driving in London (and other major cities in the rush-hour)
where the stop/go/stop conditions force me to use 1st gear most of the

time.

Ah, I see.
Made up figures then with no facts.

Old April 2nd 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

W K wrote:
snip

Ah, I see.
Made up figures then with no facts.

No, not 'made up' figures. Just *my* personal experience in 37 years of
driving including road rallying (in the '60s and '70s with the RAF Motor
Sport Association), 7 1/2 ton trucks and small van deliveries (multi-drop
and long distance). When I've worked for companies with fleets of similar
vehicles I was always able to get better mpg than all the other drivers by
using some of the techniques employed by drivers in the old Mobil Economy
Run (does anyone know if the MER - or its equivalent - still takes place?).

--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Old April 2nd 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
W K W K is offline

"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
snip

Ah, I see.
Made up figures then with no facts.

No, not 'made up' figures. Just *my* personal experience in 37 years of
driving including road rallying (in the '60s and '70s with the RAF Motor
Sport Association), 7 1/2 ton trucks and small van deliveries (multi-drop
and long distance). When I've worked for companies with fleets of similar
vehicles I was always able to get better mpg than all the other drivers by
using some of the techniques employed by drivers in the old Mobil Economy
Run (does anyone know if the MER - or its equivalent - still takes

place?).

No science then.
Just figures that you think you remember.

What is the fuel consumption of a modern, standard CAR at 20, 30 and 40?

Do you have any idea.

Old April 2nd 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

W K wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
snip

Ah, I see.
Made up figures then with no facts.

No, not 'made up' figures. Just *my* personal experience in 37
years of driving including road rallying (in the '60s and '70s with
the RAF Motor Sport Association), 7 1/2 ton trucks and small van
deliveries (multi-drop and long distance). When I've worked for
companies with fleets of similar vehicles I was always able to get
better mpg than all the other drivers by using some of the
techniques employed by drivers in the old Mobil Economy Run (does
anyone know if the MER - or its equivalent - still takes place?).

No science then.
Just figures that you think you remember.

What is the fuel consumption of a modern, standard CAR at 20, 30 and
40?

Do you have any idea.

Enlighten me.

--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Old April 2nd 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"MeatballTurbo" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
[...]

Define modern define standard?
Can you be anymore vague?
Are we talking Smart car or Maybach (both modern Mercedes cars)?
Are we talking fully loaded, or single driver occupant?
See level or on the M62 over the pennines?

Also: when the engine is cold just after starting (viscous engine oil,
richer fuel/air mixture) or after it's been running a while and the
temperature has stablised.

Let's take the definition of modern car to be:

- Ford Focus 1.6i Zetec (petrol) and 1.8 TDCi (diesel), manual - both 100 hp
- warm engine: cooling system at normal operating temperature
- one person in car, no luggage
- at approx sea level
- no head-/tail-wind
- figures for steady 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 mph

Old April 2nd 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
W K W K is offline

"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
[...]

I don't actually know.

YOU made an assertion that pollution would be greater at 20 than at 40 or
50.
If that assertion has any basis of truth, you could do with telling us.

Old April 2nd 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
W K W K is offline

"MeatballTurbo" wrote in message
WK
What is the fuel consumption of a modern, standard CAR at 20, 30 and 40?

Define modern define standard?
Can you be anymore vague?
Are we talking Smart car or Maybach (both modern Mercedes cars)?
Are we talking fully loaded, or single driver occupant?

Any facts at all would be useful.

See level or on the M62 over the pennines?

It was related to london

Old April 2nd 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Redonda wrote:
W K wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
[...]

That's the whole point! Without actually measuring, nobody seems to have a
clue whether fuel consumption will be more or less in different gears or
revs. The best I can do personally is to apply my scientific knowledge to
the situation, but I don't state things like they are facts when I don't
have any!

Anyone feel like fitting some sort of flow rate thingy to their fuel line?

Old April 2nd 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

W K wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
W K wrote:
[...]

I doubt there are any facts behind that comment.

Try this for a laugh, swim 10 lengths as fast as you can, then 10 lengths
quite slowly. Which one do you think you've used most energy for? Which
has produced more heat "pollution"? I know cars are very different, but you
still have the basic mechanics of pushing an object through a fluid at
speed.