London Banter

-   -   Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15615-mail-rail-post-office-railway.html)

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 12:28 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:44:49 on Sun, 11 Mar
2018, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
- They told me that the rest of the railway is still owned and
maintained by the Royal Mail. There is at least the theoretical
possibility of the museum trains doing a longer circuit, perhaps to
the next station, but there appear to be no current plans for such an
expansion. It would obviously need Royal Mail's agreement, and there
would be a significant costs. The current trains may not have the
battery capacity for the extra distances involved.

Problems include lack of emergency exits.

From the site's FAQ:

"Evacuation requirements mean that access to the Mail Rail train ride is
restricted to those who are able to walk unaided on uneven terrain, in a
confined space for up to 100m before climbing 70 steps to the surface."

Going further into the tunnels would mean a walk back to Mount Pleasant for
emergency access. The next station in either direction is 1.4km...

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 12:28 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:29:30 on Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:44:49 on Sun, 11 Mar
2018, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
- They told me that the rest of the railway is still owned and
maintained by the Royal Mail. There is at least the theoretical
possibility of the museum trains doing a longer circuit, perhaps to
the next station, but there appear to be no current plans for such an
expansion. It would obviously need Royal Mail's agreement, and there
would be a significant costs. The current trains may not have the
battery capacity for the extra distances involved.

Problems include lack of emergency exits.

From the site's FAQ:

"Evacuation requirements mean that access to the Mail Rail train ride is
restricted to those who are able to walk unaided on uneven terrain, in a
confined space for up to 100m before climbing 70 steps to the surface."

If the ride was extended to loop round the next station,

Just so you know, I'm not advocating an extension.

But that's what was being discussed in the post you replied to.

there would need to be an evacuation route through that station.

Every station will have some kind of access to ground level.

They used to have, obviously, but I believe that most are now blocked off.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 12:28 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septem
ber.org, at 09:58:59 on Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Just so you know, I'm not advocating an extension.

there would need to be an evacuation route through that station.

Every station will have some kind of access to ground level.

They did when they were active stations on Mail Rail. And even then, they
were used by the workers on the railway, and probably emerged inside the
mail sorting area above. That may be owned by someone else now, and the
route to the tunnel sealed off.

Or it may not. (Plus, it's commonplace for closed tunnels to maintain an
inspection access, even when the building on the surface has been
re-purposed).

I believe most of them are sealed off. The inspection access is via Mount
Pleasant...

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 12:28 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message 2132316179.542480534.571005.recliner.ng-
, at 17:05:04 on Sun, 11 Mar
2018, Recliner remarked:
Additionally the conductor rail has to be removed to allow the passenger
train to run; this is not a problem in itself but it does prevent future
demonstrations of automatic trains (something I'd love to see, but I don't
know if it's on anyone's agenda) if you remove too much of it.

I didn't know the line had been used for trials of automatic trains? How
would they get them up and down, given that the old depot can no longer be
used for surface access?

Here's how they took out some of the remaining trains in 2011:

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...ving-the-mail-
rail/

One of the pictures in that post answers a question from another post,
thanks! There's a handle on the power units with a plate behind which reads
'point handle in direction for running'.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 12:28 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:04:07 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message 2132316179.542480534.571005.recliner.ng-
, at 17:05:04 on Sun, 11 Mar
2018, Recliner remarked:
Additionally the conductor rail has to be removed to allow the passenger
train to run; this is not a problem in itself but it does prevent future
demonstrations of automatic trains (something I'd love to see, but I don't
know if it's on anyone's agenda) if you remove too much of it.

I didn't know the line had been used for trials of automatic trains? How
would they get them up and down, given that the old depot can no longer be
used for surface access?

Here's how they took out some of the remaining trains in 2011:

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...ving-the-mail-
rail/

Some quite thin chains given how heavy those locomotives must be.

Surely the single yellow fabric strap is the more concerning part of the
set up?

I'm sure it was all risk-assessed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Graeme Wall March 12th 18 01:31 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The fabric strap has a steel core I assume.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] March 12th 18 03:19 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Depending on what they're made of fabric straps can be exceptionally strong.
Plus I doubt that carraige is as heavy as the locos.

I'm sure it was all risk-assessed.

I'm sure these were too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mu9jT2DUpQ

Anna Noyd-Dryver March 12th 18 03:51 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

There are four yellow straps lifting the carriage. There's just one lifting
the power units.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

[email protected] March 12th 18 03:59 PM

Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I saw 4 metal chains lifting those. Rather thin looking chains IMO given
those loco sections must be at least a ton each.

John Williamson March 12th 18 04:16 PM

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
Depending on what they're made of fabric straps can be exceptionally strong.
Plus I doubt that carraige is as heavy as the locos.

There are four yellow straps lifting the carriage. There's just one lifting
the power units.

I saw 4 metal chains lifting those. Rather thin looking chains IMO given
those loco sections must be at least a ton each.

Those chains look to me as if they are rated at a couple of tonnes each,
with the strap being wrapped a few times round the support and hook, for
a load rating of about 4 to 6 tonnes.

The straps used on the carriages are a size I've seen used to lift a 7
tonne narrowboat in a similar configuration.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.