London Banter

-   -   New tube map has mistake (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15691-new-tube-map-has-mistake.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] May 23rd 18 12:31 PM

New tube map has mistake

https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

Offramp May 23rd 18 05:39 PM

New tube map has mistake

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 12:31:45 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

That is pretty poor. Surely proofreading these isn't hard: just give one each to about 10 people and ask for opinions.

Basil Jet[_4_] May 23rd 18 07:27 PM

New tube map has mistake

On 2018\05\23 17:39, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 12:31:45 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

That is pretty poor. Surely proofreading these isn't hard: just give one each to about 10 people and ask for opinions.

Surely the author should have had the ability to have this version in
the foreground and have the previous one in the background and flip
between them repeatedly to make sure all differences are intentional?

John Levine[_2_] May 23rd 18 08:12 PM

New tube map has mistake

In article you write:
On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 12:31:45 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

That is pretty poor. Surely proofreading these isn't hard: just give one each to about 10 people and ask for opinions.

Actually, proofreading is amazingly hard, particularly for stuff like
this that's all details.

Once I found an egregious grammatical error in the mss for one of my
books and looked back and found that it was also in the previous two
editions despite both of the authors and multiple editors proofreading
them.

I'm not saying this is an excuse, but it's definitely a reason.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Basil Jet[_4_] May 23rd 18 11:38 PM

New tube map has mistake

On 2018\05\23 12:31, Basil Jet wrote:

https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

I've now got the hand-held version of the new Tube map. I can't work out
what the purple things on the front are... shrapnel from an exploding
Crossrail substation?

tim... May 24th 18 10:56 AM

New tube map has mistake

"John Levine" wrote in message
In article you
write:

tim... May 24th 18 10:58 AM

New tube map has mistake

"John Levine" wrote in message
In article you
write:
On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 12:31:45 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...s-new-tube-map

That is pretty poor. Surely proofreading these isn't hard: just give one
each to about 10 people and ask for opinions.

Actually, proofreading is amazingly hard, particularly for stuff like
this that's all details.

Once I found an egregious grammatical error in the mss for one of my
books and looked back and found that it was also in the previous two
editions despite both of the authors and multiple editors proofreading
them.

Oops

I latterly discovered that I had been sending my CV out for 20 years with "a
through" instead of "a thorough" (understanding of ...)

tim

jon b May 29th 18 09:49 AM

New tube map has mistake

There is another error (by omission) on there. LHR is shown in Zone 6 for both tube and TfL Rail. However it is only Z6 for travel cards and season tickets. For PAYG on TfL Rail the fare is 12 quid each way from Paddington as opposed to 6 by tube. There is a daily cap in operation but that only helps if you are going both ways, I assume TfL don't care on the assumption that they will generally fleece departing visitors but in these social media days it won't take long before people start leaving negative comments. Clearly TfL now prioritise cash over reputation...

John Levine[_2_] May 29th 18 06:38 PM

New tube map has mistake

In article ,
jon b wrote:
There is another error (by omission) on there. LHR is shown in Zone 6 for both tube and TfL Rail. However it is only Z6 for travel cards and
season tickets. For PAYG on TfL Rail the fare is 12 quid each way from Paddington as opposed to 6 by tube.

Hey, it's now a super cheap £10.20 peak, £10.10 off peak, £6.65 with a railcard.

It is not my impression that many tourists ever took the Connect.

They take the heavily touted HeX or the underground. I even know
people who swear by the coach to Victoria, but I don't understand why
other than that they believe that all airports are the same and their
home airport only has coaches.

Arthur Conan Doyle May 29th 18 09:11 PM

New tube map has mistake

John Levine wrote:

It is not my impression that many tourists ever took the Connect.

I think that's intentional. HEX signage in the T2/T3 walkway is overwhelming,
along with the agents selling tickets in the hallway. LU platform is easy to
find and buy tickets for.