Old April 4th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

But nowhere does it obviously tell you that the diamonds are express and
the
circles are local; if you look very closely in the corner of the map, in
very small print, you may notice that the word 'express' tends to be seen
near diamonds, but it's far from obvious. The squares seem to be
terminating points, but I'm not certain about that. The previous poster
said "The map is huge and confusing", I would say that is an

understatement.

And I thought the tourists in London were bad with their maps. If I lived
there I'd probably end up punching someone who opened out a huge map in a
busy subway
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways

Old April 4th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

According to some sources, they can't do the "next train"
indicators that we have, as it's "too complex", which I think
is b*ll*cks, but there you are.....

Well, LUL can't do the next train indicators either, at least they can't do
them properly!

But at least once you know where you are going, and
which train to take, you get a 24-hour service, on
admittedly less comfortable, but also less crowded trains.

You can't really complain about them being less comfortable and then praise
them for being less crowded, because the two go together. As soon as a
transport system starts using plastic seats, it is seen as a distress
purchase and is shunned by anyone who thinks they are above the hoi poloi,
solving any overcrowding problem within weeks.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 4th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

This map really could do with receiving the
attention of Mr. H. Beck. .

Have a go your self....could be fun...
Old April 4th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
bob bob is offline

For more information on the Hudson Tubes with a history, sightseeing
tour and three picture galleries, go to:
http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/gatewaytubepage.html
==================================
"Stephen Furley" wrote in message .."Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

It's a pity that the Metrocards are not valid on the other rail systems in
the area. The Subway is operated by the MTA, I think the suburban rail
lines in New York are too, but cross the Hudson, and you're in New Jersey.
Linking the two are the old Hudson Tubes, now known as PATH, operated by the
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, this links the World Trade Centre
and 33rd Street in New York with Newark and Hoboken in New Jersey. This
charges $1.50, but you can buy a card with 11 rides for the price of 10.
You cannot however use Metrocards, though there has been talk of it for the
future. It shouldn't be difficult, fit Metrocard readers to the gates,
record the number of triips made with them, and allocate the apppropriate
revenue to the Port Authority.

Once in New Jersey the suburban rail lines are operated by NJ Transit, as
are two light rail lines, the newly-built Hudson-Bergen, and the Newark city
Subway, which has recently received new vehicles, and been extended. All of
these systems have their own tickets. It's rather like needing one
Travelcard type ticket South of the Thames, another one on the Waterloo and
City, and different tickets on each underground line in the North.

The Hudson-Bergen line is impressive, the stops, stations or whatever
they're called, are better those on British tram/light rail systems, and
there seems to be almost no vandalism.

I seem to have said a lot about what's bad with these systems, but there's a
great deal which is good, A lot of money is clearly being spent on the
railways over there, to the fury of many of the local people, but they do
seem to be getting something to show for the investment. With certain
notable exemptions, we seem to be pouring large amounts of money in, but
getting little improvement out.

One thing I didn't say in my previous post was how marvellous the
commuter trains seemed to be compared to SouthCentral and Thameslink! We
took the commuter train to Trenton, New Jersey, and changed there to
another commuter train to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and it was
wonderful. Really comfortable, for local trains, with staff on the
trains to check your ticket and reduce vandalism, clean lavatories that
worked...... enough said! Left SC and TL absolutely standing!

I've only been one stop, from the new station serving Newark International
Airport Station to Newark Penn to change to PATH. I will be over there in
three weeks, probably for the last time, and will be going to Trenton to see
the new New Diesel powered light rail line, the 'River Line', which NJ
Transit opened from there to Camden three weeks ago

Old April 4th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Well, LUL can't do the next train indicators either, at least they can't
do
them properly!

I've always seen them working properly, except once when it was turned off

Old April 4th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well, LUL can't do the next train indicators either, at least they can't

do
them properly!

I've always seen them working properly, except once when it was turned off

Well, LUL can't do the next train indicators either, at least they can't

do
them properly!

I've always seen them working properly, except once when it was turned off

Well, LUL can't do the next train indicators either, at least they can't

do
them properly!

I've always seen them working properly, except once when it was turned off

Last week at Victoria [Westbound District} the indicator said "Northfields"
....it was a Parsons Green's train..p46
Old April 4th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" wrote in message

This map really could do with receiving
the attention of Mr. H. Beck. .

Have a go your self....could be fun...

I have a 1970s New York Subway map which is Beck-like. ISTR there is a scan
of it on the web somewhere (not on my site...)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 4th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland:
I have a 1970s New York Subway map which is Beck-like.

That map is sort of Beck-like, but it uses a different stripe for
each route, and the route variations are rather more complex than in
London. Imagine London's triple line for Circle / H&C / Metropolitan
turned into six, with a separate coloured stripe for each branch of
the Met, and you'll get the idea. (Since many routes have express
and local trains, station stops were shown on each individual route
as dots within the colour stripe.)

I always liked it, but many people found it, shall we say, more
successful as abstract art than as a route map, and so the current
design was introduced to replace it.
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."