London Banter

-   -   Electric buses at waterloo (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15833-electric-buses-waterloo.html)

[email protected] July 12th 18 03:04 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". Now knowing the quality
of journalism in the standard I wonder if they meant generator or substation
because if its the former it completely defeats the point of having electric
buses in central london if a generator is just shoving out diesel fumes in
their place (and probably more due to inefficiencies with battery charging).
Anyone know which it is?

John Leach July 12th 18 04:10 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from 2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...n.html#art-top

[email protected] July 12th 18 04:21 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 12th 18 05:01 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

They may have a back-up generator so the buses can still run in a power cut.

--
Basil Jet - listening to (Mi-Mz)... Michael Chapman. Michael Karoli.
Michael Nyman. Michael Rother. Mick Karn. Mick Ronson. Mickey Hart.

Robin[_6_] July 12th 18 05:03 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

Not necessarily. A combined heat and power system could work out both
more efficient and less polluting than 50-odd diesel engines running
most of the time at far from peak efficiency.

--
Robin

Mark Bestley[_2_] July 12th 18 10:59 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s/press-releas
es/Ele ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

For a more detailed view see Ian Visits
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2018/06/26/do-londoners-dream-of-electric-buses/

"They also needed 2.5 megawatts of electricity to recharge the buses
overnight — although the use of smart monitoring means they never reach
that full load.

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot. Four fast chargers at 800 volts are
also available if needed."

--
Mark

Roland Perry July 13th 18 08:09 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 22:59:39 on

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...dream-of-elect
ric-buses/

"They also needed 2.5 megawatts of electricity to recharge the buses
overnight — although the use of smart monitoring means they never reach
that full load.

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only one
and a half Eurostars.

Four fast chargers at 800 volts are also available if needed."

John Williamson July 13th 18 08:57 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 08:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:39 on
Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only one
and a half Eurostars.

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Another good argument against HS2, as a normal train only draws a
quarter of that.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 13th 18 10:27 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 08:57:53 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 13/07/2018 08:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:39
on Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only
one and a half Eurostars.

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Only on 25kV, look again at its consumption on DC, and it's the amps I'm
highlighting anyway.

[email protected] July 13th 18 10:36 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
[...]

True, but don't forget you have battery charging losses.