London Banter

-   -   Electric buses at waterloo (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15833-electric-buses-waterloo.html)

[email protected] July 12th 18 02:04 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". Now knowing the quality
of journalism in the standard I wonder if they meant generator or substation
because if its the former it completely defeats the point of having electric
buses in central london if a generator is just shoving out diesel fumes in
their place (and probably more due to inefficiencies with battery charging).
Anyone know which it is?

John Leach July 12th 18 03:10 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from 2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...n.html#art-top

[email protected] July 12th 18 03:21 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 12th 18 04:01 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

They may have a back-up generator so the buses can still run in a power cut.

--
Basil Jet - listening to (Mi-Mz)... Michael Chapman. Michael Karoli.
Michael Nyman. Michael Rother. Mick Karn. Mick Ronson. Mickey Hart.

Robin[_6_] July 12th 18 04:03 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus garage
near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric buses.
Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s-releases/Ele
ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

Not necessarily. A combined heat and power system could work out both
more efficient and less polluting than 50-odd diesel engines running
most of the time at far from peak efficiency.

--
Robin

Mark Bestley[_2_] July 12th 18 09:59 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s/press-releas
es/Ele ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

For a more detailed view see Ian Visits
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2018/06/26/do-londoners-dream-of-electric-buses/

"They also needed 2.5 megawatts of electricity to recharge the buses
overnight — although the use of smart monitoring means they never reach
that full load.

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot. Four fast chargers at 800 volts are
also available if needed."

--
Mark

Roland Perry July 13th 18 07:09 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 22:59:39 on

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...dream-of-elect
ric-buses/

"They also needed 2.5 megawatts of electricity to recharge the buses
overnight — although the use of smart monitoring means they never reach
that full load.

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only one
and a half Eurostars.

Four fast chargers at 800 volts are also available if needed."

John Williamson July 13th 18 07:57 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 08:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:39 on
Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only one
and a half Eurostars.

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Another good argument against HS2, as a normal train only draws a
quarter of that.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 13th 18 09:27 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 08:57:53 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 13/07/2018 08:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:39
on Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only
one and a half Eurostars.

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Only on 25kV, look again at its consumption on DC, and it's the amps I'm
highlighting anyway.

[email protected] July 13th 18 09:36 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Leach wrote:
[...]

True, but don't forget you have battery charging losses.

[email protected] July 13th 18 09:50 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:27:30 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:57:53 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 13/07/2018 08:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:39
on Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.
2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only
one and a half Eurostars.

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Only on 25kV, look again at its consumption on DC, and it's the amps I'm
highlighting anyway.

I wonder if the old eurostars have any of their DC equipment still on board?
If they do perhaps they could solve the overcrowding issues on Southern and
south eastern instead of being scrapped! :)

John Williamson July 13th 18 09:51 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 10:36, wrote:

Not necessarily. A combined heat and power system could work out both
more efficient and less polluting than 50-odd diesel engines running
most of the time at far from peak efficiency.

True, but don't forget you have battery charging losses.

You also need a use for the waste heat, which is unlikely in a bus
depot, especially in Summer.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson July 13th 18 10:14 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 10:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:57:53 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:

Not even a quarter of a Eurostar. They draw 16 megawatts flat out.

Only on 25kV, look again at its consumption on DC, and it's the amps I'm
highlighting anyway.

The lower power and speed restrictions on the third rail sections of the
original route was a deliberate restriction to prevent overload damage
to the ageing trackside equipment and speed related damage to the
collection shoes. As the third rail shoes have now been removed, this is
academic. They used to jog along at 65mph in the UK. accelerate to 85
mph or so for the tunnel, and then to full speed for the French and
other parts of the trip. They now do full speed along the HS1 track,
slow down to 85 for the tunnel, then accelerate again as they leave it.

The traction motors on a Eurostar are rated to draw 12 megawatts per
train at start, the garage is drawing a fraction of that. The 12
Eurostar motors are likely running at 600 volts or so, which means they
draw about 1,600 Amps each, at a megawatt a pop, but this is only of
concern to the designers and engineers. To everyone else, it's a black
box system that needs a megawatt per motor at whatever voltage and
frequency the pantograph is supplying at the time.

What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC), by the distribution network. It will come into the
site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[email protected] July 13th 18 10:37 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:14:39 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC), by the distribution network. It will come into the
site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

Is 11KV the standard voltage for distribution within UK cities? I wonder
why they chose that particular value. Just curious...

John Williamson July 13th 18 10:53 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Williamson wrote:
What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC), by the distribution network. It will come into the
site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

Is 11KV the standard voltage for distribution within UK cities? I wonder
why they chose that particular value. Just curious...

If you check, there is a whole network of different standard voltages
starting with the 400kV supergrid, right down to the 415 Volt 3 phase
plus neutral feeder that runs under or over your street, with branches
off to give a single phase 230 Volt supply to your house or flat.

In general terms, the current at each stage is similar.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 13th 18 11:35 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 11:14:39 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
The traction motors on a Eurostar are rated to draw 12 megawatts per
train at start, the garage is drawing a fraction of that. The 12
Eurostar motors are likely running at 600 volts or so, which means they
draw about 1,600 Amps each, at a megawatt a pop, but this is only of
concern to the designers and engineers. To everyone else, it's a black
box system that needs a megawatt per motor at whatever voltage and
frequency the pantograph is supplying at the time.

But the DC power supply wasn't capable of 19,200 amps!

What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC),

I used the 400 volts quoted earlier (which is highly likely to be the
same stuff that you've called 415 volts; three phase). We don't know how
many blocks of chargers that'll be split into, but thirty at 200 amps
each for two buses each seems rather spaghetti-like.

by the distribution network.

It will come into the site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

The copper I'm admiring is that carrying the 6,250 amps (for however far
before branching off to individual blocks of chargers).

Graeme Wall July 13th 18 11:54 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 10:51, John Williamson wrote:
On 13/07/2018 10:36, wrote:

Not necessarily.Â* A combined heat and power system could work out both
more efficient and less polluting than 50-odd diesel engines running
most of the time at far from peak efficiency.

True, but don't forget you have battery charging losses.

You also need a use for the waste heat, which is unlikely in a bus
depot, especially in Summer.

Making the tea?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Robin[_6_] July 13th 18 12:00 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 10:36, wrote:

Not necessarily.* A combined heat and power system could work out both
more efficient and less polluting than 50-odd diesel engines running
most of the time at far from peak efficiency.

True, but don't forget you have battery charging losses.

You also need a use for the waste heat, which is unlikely in a bus
depot, especially in Summer.

Yes, CHP often works best as an area heating scheme. I'd thought
redevelopment was planned in that area which would offer scope. If not,
TfL could at least offer really, really warm seats on buses entering
service at Waterloo :)

--
Robin

[email protected] July 13th 18 02:51 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

John Williamson wrote:
What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC), by the distribution network. It will come into the
site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

Is 11KV the standard voltage for distribution within UK cities? I wonder
why they chose that particular value. Just curious...

If you check, there is a whole network of different standard voltages
starting with the 400kV supergrid, right down to the 415 Volt 3 phase
plus neutral feeder that runs under or over your street, with branches
off to give a single phase 230 Volt supply to your house or flat.

240V isn't it or did it get dropped down at some point?

John Williamson July 13th 18 02:59 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 15:51, wrote:
240V isn't it or did it get dropped down at some point?

It used to be 240 plus or minus 5%, it's now 230 plus 10 - 0%. Not even
the transformer taps in the substations have been changed. Blame the EU.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Graeme Wall July 13th 18 03:04 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 15:51, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:53:44 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC), by the distribution network. It will come into the
site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

Is 11KV the standard voltage for distribution within UK cities? I wonder
why they chose that particular value. Just curious...

If you check, there is a whole network of different standard voltages
starting with the 400kV supergrid, right down to the 415 Volt 3 phase
plus neutral feeder that runs under or over your street, with branches
off to give a single phase 230 Volt supply to your house or flat.

240V isn't it or did it get dropped down at some point?

Quite a while ago.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry July 13th 18 03:09 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 11:53:44 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:

If you check, there is a whole network of different standard voltages
starting with the 400kV supergrid, right down to the 415 Volt 3 phase
plus neutral feeder that runs under or over your street, with branches
off to give a single phase 230 Volt supply to your house or flat.

In general terms, the current at each stage is similar.

Broadly true, apart from the supergrid being 1000A, as far as I can
tell.

What's important for the EV-charging scenario is that is if several
dozen houses are supplied by an 200A street main at 230v from the local
substation, how can more than a handful charge an EV overnight at 50
amps?

John Williamson July 13th 18 03:21 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 13/07/2018 16:09, Roland Perry wrote:

What's important for the EV-charging scenario is that is if several
dozen houses are supplied by an 200A street main at 230v from the local
substation, how can more than a handful charge an EV overnight at 50 amps?

The grid will eventually have to be upgraded, though for domestic use,
an off peak slow charge at 3 kilowatts is usually enough for a day's
use. The street main is usually 200A per phase, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[email protected] July 13th 18 03:29 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

Most distribution Voltages in the UK are 10% higher than nice round numbers.. 11 and 33 kV are widely used, 66 kV for some large substations. 22 kV is not much used in the UK, more common on the mainland, but the London Underground has quite a bit of it, I think because joints in 33 kV were too large.

6.6 kV is still used, though becomming less common. Quite a lot of Croydon is still fed ay that Voltage.

Roland Perry July 13th 18 03:41 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 16:21:33 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 13/07/2018 16:09, Roland Perry wrote:

What's important for the EV-charging scenario is that is if several
dozen houses are supplied by an 200A street main at 230v from the
local substation, how can more than a handful charge an EV overnight
at 50 amps?

The grid will eventually have to be upgraded, though for domestic use,
an off peak slow charge at 3 kilowatts is usually enough for a day's
use.

The problem with off-peak is that everyone is expecting to use it, so it
becomes just as much in demand as "peak".

3 kilowatts is double the normal average power consumption of houses.

The street main is usually 200A per phase, though.

Which if we believe grid figures that an average household is perhaps
1.5kW means it can feed (200/(1500/230))x3 = 90 houses.

Still wondering where even the level 2 Tesla chargers (80 amps at 230v)
will get their supply from.

Jarle Hammen Knudsen July 13th 18 06:12 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 16:41:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[...]

The future is hydrogen.

--
jhk

Graeme Wall July 13th 18 06:22 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

As it has been for 50 years…

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] July 14th 18 12:31 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

50 years ago, you couldn't drive a hydrogen-powered car from John
O'Groats to Land's End, as Autocar did last month:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/john-o%E2%80%99groats-land%E2%80%99s-end-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car

Graeme Wall July 14th 18 06:12 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

You could have done, though I don't know if anyone ever did. Also
possible in a gas-turbine car and one or two other exotic beasts around
that time.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] July 14th 18 07:26 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

No, you couldn't have done it then with a hydrogen-powered car, both
because they didn't exist and fhere weren't any hydrogen filling stations.
As of 2018, there are only just enough filling stations around the country
for a slightly indirect route; next year should be easier, as more hydrogen
filling stations open.

Graeme Wall July 14th 18 07:50 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

No filling stations certainly, but the odd experimental vehicle.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] July 14th 18 08:05 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

Were there any hydrogen-powered cars back then? I don't think so. There
certainly weren't any fuel-cell cars, let alone any hydrogen cars with a
good range.

Now, you can do it in off-the-shelf, standard, unmodified hydrogen cars
from multiple manufacturers, refuelling at commercial hydrogen filling
stations along the way. No need for any back-up vehicle, and no
laboratories involved.

I think 2018 was the first year it was possible, but even now, the route
takes careful planning. It'll soon be much easier, as more hydrogen filling
stations open.

Theo[_2_] July 15th 18 12:31 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

Recliner wrote:
Were there any hydrogen-powered cars back then? I don't think so. There
certainly weren't any fuel-cell cars, let alone any hydrogen cars with a
good range.

The first hydrogen car is recorded as prototyped in 1807.
However some Russian trucks from 1941 sound rather more plausible:
http://naukarus.com/the-mysterious-i...drogen-century
using an interesting fuel source - degraded hydrogen from lowered barrage
balloons. If it was WWII you might have been able to cobble together
a route going past enough barrage balloon stations to make it work.

Theo

[email protected] July 16th 18 08:59 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It seems to me the whole charging problem of mass ownership of electric cars
has been kicked into the long grass. As usual politicians will only react when
they have to when the load on the grid either local or national becomes critical
whereupon headless chicken mode will be engaged.

[email protected] July 16th 18 09:03 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

wrote:

[...]

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...s-land%E2%80%9
9s-end-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car

The physics hasn't changed in 50 years. I read somewhere (can't find it) that
using hydrogen for energy is so inefficient with our current grid of mixed
fossil fuel power stations that you'd create a lot less total CO2 just using a
diesel vehicle though far better to use the electricity you waste on creating
H2 just to convert it back to electricity again to charge a battery vehicle.

Also hydrogen is hard to transport and store in large amounts and requires a
lot of electricity to compress it over and above that required to create it
from water or (even worse) steamed out of natural gas in the first place.

David Cantrell July 16th 18 11:08 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 04:09:03PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

What's important for the EV-charging scenario is that is if several
dozen houses are supplied by an 200A street main at 230v from the local
substation, how can more than a handful charge an EV overnight at 50
amps?

They won't all need to fully recharge a car every night.

Of the many cars parked on a street, plenty of them just aren't used
most days. And of those that are used on any given day, plenty aren't
used much - just a trip to the shops, or the school run, or to a nearby
employer.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Only some sort of ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get
rid of Routemasters
-- Ken Livingstone, four years before he got rid of 'em

Roland Perry July 16th 18 11:29 AM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 12:08:38
on Mon, 16 Jul 2018, David Cantrell remarked:

What's important for the EV-charging scenario is that is if several
dozen houses are supplied by an 200A street main at 230v from the local
substation, how can more than a handful charge an EV overnight at 50
amps?

They won't all need to fully recharge a car every night.

Of the many cars parked on a street, plenty of them just aren't used
most days. And of those that are used on any given day, plenty aren't
used much - just a trip to the shops, or the school run, or to a nearby
employer.

This depends a lot on the local demographic. There are plenty of estates
where at least one breadwinner per household is likely to drive to work
(and the national average commute is 67% by car, 30mins).

Where I live that's dominated by the 35 mile round trip to Cambridge,
unless they take the fastest route which is 50 miles round trip.

John Williamson July 16th 18 12:36 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On 16/07/2018 12:29, Roland Perry wrote:
Where I live that's dominated by the 35 mile round trip to Cambridge,
unless they take the fastest route which is 50 miles round trip.

At least with electric cars, there's a real incentive to take the most
fuel efficient route, so you don't need to charge every night.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 16th 18 12:42 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 13:36:13 on Mon, 16
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:

Where I live that's dominated by the 35 mile round trip to Cambridge,
unless they take the fastest route which is 50 miles round trip.

At least with electric cars, there's a real incentive to take the most
fuel efficient route, so you don't need to charge every night.

I'm not sure how an individual balances the prospect of getting a
sufficient overnight charge, with sitting in a worse traffic jam in
order to eke out the battery on the way to/from work.

[email protected] July 16th 18 01:51 PM

Electric buses at waterloo

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:42:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:36:13 on Mon, 16
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:

Where I live that's dominated by the 35 mile round trip to Cambridge,
unless they take the fastest route which is 50 miles round trip.

At least with electric cars, there's a real incentive to take the most
fuel efficient route, so you don't need to charge every night.

I'm not sure how an individual balances the prospect of getting a
sufficient overnight charge, with sitting in a worse traffic jam in
order to eke out the battery on the way to/from work.

Stop-start traffic isn't efficient even in an electric car because usually
the vehicle is moving too slowly for regeneration to be effective. They could
well be better off taking the longer route.