Old July 17th 18, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default To Dover from New Eltham

Looks like I need your advice again.

On Sunday 19 August I want to travel from New Eltham to Dover Priory
arriving before 11, returning from Dover after 18:30. I'm doing Dover
Castle.

Southeastern has a £25 off-peak day return offer, see
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...-offers/offers

Problem is I do not want to travel if it involves replacement buses
and I do not know how to properly check for planned closures. I have
found this:
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...ate=2018-08-19
but I do not fully understand the information.

If I type in New Eltham to Dover Priory I get complex journeys
involving many changes,some with a yellow warning symbol. This one
does not have a warning, but the times between trains are very short,
worrying me the journey might take much longer if I miss a connection:

07:48 New Eltham
07:55 Hither Green

08:09 Hither Green
08:18 Chislehurst

08:32 Chislehurst
09:28 Ashford International

09:35 Ashford International
10:05 Dover Priory

If instead I search for London Terminals to DVP I get the 09:37 high
speed direct train form St Pancras also costing £25 off-peak day
return. Can I use that ticket to get from New Eltham to St Pancras?
If not, using PAYG it will be an extra £9 to get to and from St
Pancras.

--
jhk

Old July 18th 18, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 07:54:17PM +0200, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:

On Sunday 19 August I want to travel from New Eltham to Dover Priory
arriving before 11, returning from Dover after 18:30. I'm doing Dover
Castle.

Southeastern has a ??25 off-peak day return offer, see
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...-offers/offers

Problem is I do not want to travel if it involves replacement buses
and I do not know how to properly check for planned closures. I have
found this:
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...ate=2018-08-19
but I do not fully understand the information.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...90818/1100/arr

That tells me that the 08:11 departure from New Eltham will involve 4
changes and a bus, the 07:48 departure will involve 2 changes and no
bus.

If I type in New Eltham to Dover Priory I get complex journeys

involving many changes,some with a yellow warning symbol. This one
does not have a warning, but the times between trains are very short,
worrying me the journey might take much longer if I miss a connection:

07:48 New Eltham
07:55 Hither Green

08:09 Hither Green
08:18 Chislehurst

08:32 Chislehurst
09:28 Ashford International

09:35 Ashford International
10:05 Dover Priory

South Eastern appear to be trying really REALLY hard to only tell you
about their own trains!

If instead I search for London Terminals to DVP I get the 09:37 high
speed direct train form St Pancras also costing ??25 off-peak day
return. Can I use that ticket to get from New Eltham to St Pancras?

No. A ticket from St Pancras to Dover will only be valid between St
Pancras and Dover.

If not, using PAYG it will be an extra ??9 to get to and from St
Pancras.

Yes.

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!
Old July 18th 18, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote in message
Looks like I need your advice again.

On Sunday 19 August I want to travel from New Eltham to Dover Priory
arriving before 11, returning from Dover after 18:30. I'm doing Dover
Castle.

Southeastern has a £25 off-peak day return offer, see
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...-offers/offers

Problem is I do not want to travel if it involves replacement buses

It seems that there are replacement buses Faversham to Dover that date

So either you will need to travel via Ashford (which, as you have
discovered, requires a complicated back track) or get to Dover via Margate.
This latter option may require you to be creative about where you actually
specify as your destination.

Neither option looks enticing. Can you do this trip on anther date?

tim

Old July 18th 18, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 17/07/2018 18:54, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
Looks like I need your advice again.

On Sunday 19 August I want to travel from New Eltham to Dover Priory
arriving before 11, returning from Dover after 18:30. I'm doing Dover
Castle.

If you can bear coaches then look at the National Express 007 service
from Eltham to Dover.

--
Robin