Old April 8th 04, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

Currently only one in seven stations are step-free, which allows entry for
wheelchair users.

[snip]

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 8th 04, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:38 +0100, "John Rowland"

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

Currently only one in seven stations are step-free, which allows entry for
wheelchair users.

By October? Unrealistic expectations?!
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old April 8th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

Currently only one in seven stations are step-free, which allows entry for
wheelchair users.

[snip]

And where will the resources needed to go back and restore the lifts
originally removed in lieu of escalators come from?

Brad
Old April 8th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...
"John Rowland" wrote in message

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by

disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs

access
to transport will come into force.

Currently only one in seven stations are step-free, which allows entry

for
wheelchair users.

[snip]

And where will the resources needed to go back and restore the lifts
originally removed in lieu of escalators come from?

Brad

Not only that be you would need to upgrade them to 'modern' gold plated
standards. Additonaly as I understand it correctly the former lift shafts at
some stations
aren't actually street-platform level in any event.

Of course if the tube had been properly funded as Metro's in other countries
are
then this modernisation work could have been carried out ages ago. But then
this is
Britian with a Tresuary that suffers from acountantitis..

Old April 8th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
In article ,
(Farlie A) wrote:

Additonaly as I understand it correctly the former lift shafts at
some stations aren't actually street-platform level in any event.

Most if not all of the original lifts, I thought.

Of course if the tube had been properly funded as Metro's in other
countries are then this modernisation work could have been carried out
ages ago. But then this is Britian with a Tresuary that suffers from
acountantitis.

How many other metro systems have full wheelchair access then?

Tyne & Wear Metro and the entire Melbourne Metropolitan railway network
are two.

London will take a *very* Long time to achieve this, though. That
said, it's good to see so many wheelchair accessible buses (even if the
ambulant disabled, if I can use that term) tend to prefer something with
more stanchions.

Incidentally, I was with a wheelchair bound friend in London last week.
The low floor buses were a *real* boon BUT two out of the three we used
had faults which prevented us from using them. The first could have
the centre doors open *or* lower the ramp but not have both at the same
time. The third one (in Whitehall!), lowered the ramp then it became
stuck on the kerb and everyone had to transfer to the (bendi) behind.
When the problem was eventually solve, though, we had a very private
journey to Marylebone in the company of the driver. All the drivers,
incidentally were *very* much amenable but if breakdowns are this common
(are they?) then it compromises the use of the system.

By the way, anecdotal evidence suggested that people in wheelchairs
travel free on TfL buses. But none of the drivers (nor one inspector)
were absolutely sure and I couldn't find it written down anywhere. One
driver even said he thought that one helper was carried free as well.
Ideas anyone?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old April 8th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:38 +0100, "John Rowland"

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

All jolly interesting but someone should check the article and look at
the grounds for being able to sue. If the organisation has plans in
place - and LUL does and has had a policy in place for years - then they
cannot be successfully sued. While I accept such access is important the
legislators did recognise that none of these improvements can be
delivered overnight or at the cost of other vital expenditure - like
replacing worn out track, trains and signals.

The improvements to the bus network that have been funded by TfL provide
good access to those who are mobility impaired and is an adequate
alternative until such time as LUL is properly funded to allow for the
huge works that are needed to rectify the problems inherent in a network
as old as the Underground.

And before anyone jumps down my throat these remarks are mine and not
those of LUL.
--
Paul C

Old April 8th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

By the way, anecdotal evidence suggested that people in wheelchairs
travel free on TfL buses. But none of the drivers (nor one inspector)
were absolutely sure and I couldn't find it written down anywhere. One
driver even said he thought that one helper was carried free as well.
Ideas anyone?

"Eligible disabled" people qualify for a Freedom Pass if they live in
London. These passes are paid for by the London boroughs and give the
holders free travel on most public transport services in London.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old April 8th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:38 +0100 someone who may be "John Rowland"
wrote this:-

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

A lawyer's money making scheme. The Act requires modifications that
are reasonable, which is right. What is wrong is paying lawyers to
argue over what is reasonable.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.