Old April 9th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default What will happen to KX Thameslink?

You obviously do not have much experience of the Kings Cross area!,
yes the station is not perfect but it is a hell of a lot better then
some on the network and when it closes it will mean at least an extra
10 minutes walk to work for me from the new location. I would probably
use the underground instead.

Martin

(Fat Richard) wrote in message . com...
"Nick Lawford" wrote in message news:31ff6b3c5fc212b9199ef76416437c9f.97781@mygat e.mailgate.org...

Blown off the face of the earth I hope.

It has to be the worst station on the UK rail network in terms of
facilities and environment in relation to the number of passengers using
it.

HEAR HEAR ! Sorry to shout but it is worth it in this case.

If I understood a recent Modern Railways itme correctly, there is
presently some doubt as to whether or not the new KX-SP-CTRL station
will be completed ahead of TL2000 works. As the latter has yet to be
authorised, I interpreted that as it may not be opened.

I hope thats either wrong or I mis-read it.

Indeed !

--
Nick

Fat Richard

Old April 9th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Nick Lawford" wrote in message news:31ff6b3c5fc212b9199ef76416437c9f.97781@mygat e.mailgate.org...

"Heliomass" wrote in message

I was thinking today, what is going to happen to the existing Kings Cross
Thameslink when the new underground St. Pancras station opens?

Blown off the face of the earth I hope.

It has to be the worst station on the UK rail network in terms of
facilities and environment in relation to the number of passengers using
it.

If I understood a recent Modern Railways itme correctly, there is
presently some doubt as to whether or not the new KX-SP-CTRL station
will be completed ahead of TL2000 works. As the latter has yet to be
authorised, I interpreted that as it may not be opened.

I hope thats either wrong or I mis-read it.

--
Nick

Martin Whelton wrote:
My understanding is that the new St Pancras Thameslink station is
opening next year. The line is being split in September to facilatate
work with trains from the south terminating at Kings Cross Thameslink(
a crossover is being constructed) or Blackfriars. Trains from the
north will run into the new part of St Pncras being constructed on
it's east side. I for one hope that Kings Cross Thameslink remains
open when St Pancras Thamselink station opens as it provides useful
connections to the Underground which the new station will not have.
Although they will be a quite near each other the distance will still
be further then between Blackfriars and City Thameslink. Though Kings
Cross Thameslink will have to close if train lengths ever got
increased to 12, nevertheless while the whole Thameslink 2000 project
remains in abeyance they should not close the station.

Martin

Here's a thought - will the ticket office at King's Cross Thameslink
remain open? I suppose the subway is staying open so the ticket office
will have to - but will it be transferred to LU?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 9th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 9 Apr 2004 03:25:28 -0700, (Martin Whelton)
wrote:

My understanding is that the new St Pancras Thameslink station is
opening next year.

That seems unlikely - the last statement from SRA was that "they have
not yet identified funding for completing St Pancras Thameslink".

The line is being split in September to facilatate
work with trains from the south terminating at Kings Cross Thameslink(
a crossover is being constructed) or Blackfriars. Trains from the
north will run into the new part of St Pncras being constructed on
it's east side.

That is correct. However all that emerges in December is a crude
concrete box which will need equipping as a station.

I for one hope that Kings Cross Thameslink remains
open when St Pancras Thamselink station opens as it provides useful
connections to the Underground which the new station will not have.

Agreed, but it won't happen.

Although they will be a quite near each other the distance will still
be further then between Blackfriars and City Thameslink. Though Kings
Cross Thameslink will have to close if train lengths ever got
increased to 12, nevertheless while the whole Thameslink 2000 project
remains in abeyance they should not close the station.

I doubt whether St P TL will open until the new LU booking halls at KX
are in use.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old April 9th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Here's a thought - will the ticket office at King's Cross Thameslink
remain open? I suppose the subway is staying open so the ticket office
will have to - but will it be transferred to LU?

Why should they be transferred?

Old April 9th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

I doubt whether St P TL will open until the new LU booking halls at KX
are in use.

Hopefully the new Western (Met) ticket hall should open towards the latter
part of this year.

Old April 9th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Martin Whelton" wrote in message
om

You obviously do not have much experience of the Kings Cross area!,

Ahem, would you like to extricate your foot from the dodo now or later ?

Mr Howe WORKS there and commutes there.

I Live in Luton and use TL regularly to interchange to various assorted
LU journies.

You may yourself have a particular journey that happnes to be suited to
the present location of KX TL and made longer by its replacement, but I
would suggest you are by a long way not in the majority.

The present KX TL is an inadequate interchange, to tubes through
crowded, to the Circle either via the same tunnels and more, or via
street level in a not nice area. The new station fixes ALL of that.

--
Nick

Old April 10th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

Over the years there has been a tendency for stations involving LT/LUL
and other operators which effectively use the same booking hall to

delegate
the ticket issuing to a single operator, current examples being Highbury
and Islington (LU issuing tickets for LU, VomitLink and er, the other lot)
and Queens Park; for an example of how it used to be, a picture

occasionally
sighted in some books is of Richmond station with separate ticket issuing
facilities for SR, LMS and LPTB.

In the examples quoted, the stations have one main ticket hall. Stratford
still has a ticket window staffed by fGE (or whatever they're called now)
despite the station being transferred to LUL.