Old October 20th 18, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Swastikas in London

"Offramp" wrote in message
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor of
Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the
Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING sign
that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule will be
rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

There are swastikas all over the place. In many churches you'll find them
in the brasses. People are called Swastika, too.

PA

Old October 20th 18, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Old October 20th 18, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329
Old October 20th 18, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/10/2018 10:23, Offramp wrote:
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor of Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING sign that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule will be rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 20th 18, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:47:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 20/10/2018 10:23, Offramp wrote:
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor of Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING sign that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule will be rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

That's what I thought, but apparently not:

"Common swastika myths

Many believe what separates the Hindu swastika from the Nazi swastika
is that the latter is rotated by 45 degrees. Dr Malcolm Quinn says
although the Nazi swastika was "often on a diagonal slant to suggest
dynamism" this was not always the case.

Others have claimed the Nazi swastika has right facing arms and Hindu
swastikas face left. This is wrong. The swastika always faces right.
The left hand symbol is properly called the 'Swavastika', says Dr
Quinn."

From:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

In fact, the ones on India house face the same way as the Nazi
(per)version.

Old October 20th 18, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:47:42 UTC+1, Graeme Wall wrote:

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

I think that is HOOEY!!
Old October 20th 18, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/10/2018 16:04, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:47:42 UTC+1, Graeme Wall wrote:

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

I think that is HOOEY!!

What is hooey?

Actually I didn't remember correctly, the Nazi version is the same as
the Sanskrit.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 20th 18, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news
On 20/10/2018 10:23, Offramp wrote:
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor of
Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the
Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING sign
that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule will be
rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

A distant relative had them in the ceiling of her council house in
Birkenhead, as a feature surrounding the lighting rose.

Given she was extremely elderly when I was a child, I would imagine they
were original to the house and had probably been there since late 20s/early
30s.

Having been a midwife in Birkenhead and Liverpool in the interwar years, she
certainly wasn't right-leaning, and had she been that way minded could
probably have knocked out a couple of books to rival the 'call the midwife'
series!

James

Old October 20th 18, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 20/10/2018 10:23, Offramp wrote:
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor
of Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the
Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING
sign that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule
will be rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

Occasionally it was painted on the buffer beams of Darjeeling Himalayan
Locos but a quick gander at recent photos shows an absence,whether that is
down to improved track or too many tourists misinterpreting the symbol I
don’t know.

My long gone grandmother had a couple of these amongst her possessions that
she had kept as souvenirs from WW1
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...ngs_stamps.jpg

And Hawkers painters applied Swastikas to Hurricanes during WW2 ,Blue ones
as it had been the insignia of the Finnish Airforce before the Nazi regime
chose it and actually had roots with a Swedish Families Coat of Arms.
https://goo.gl/images/kK7U5g
Because the use of a Swastika had become tainted they replaced it on
aircraft with Roundels but never dropped its use on uniforms and squadron
flags.
https://goo.gl/images/dX1ofq

The Hurricanes were not the first British aircraft to bear Swastikas,
Finland had some earlier designs such as Gloucester Gladiators and others
in the short lived preWW2 Latvian Airforce bore the Red on a White disk
Swastika of that state
https://goo.gl/images/LmokwT