Old April 15th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More bendification!

Just saw in my local paper that route 149 (Ponders End [Enfield Garage]
to London Bridge) is to be converted to Bendibus operation from April
24th. At the same time, it will be cut back to run Edmonton Green
Station to London Bridge, and new route 349 will be introduced to run
from Ponders End to Stoke Newington, operated by Arriva London North,
using conventional accessible double deckers.

Indeed it will. The bases for the ticket machines have appeared (at least
at the Edmonton Green end). Not sure exactly how the buses will be handled
at Edmonton Green as the bus station gets rather crowded and there doesn't
seem any obvious place for them to stand if needed (a turn into New Road
looks rather improbable to me unless those things turn much tighter than I
can imagine). They will clearly be starting from the stop between the bus
station and the New Road junction where a few routes terminate at the
moment, but then I think the bus station will have to close during building
works anyway so I guess all routes will be starting there sooner or later.

The local papers delighted in pointing out that the first bendibus being
delivered to Edmonton garage caught fire on the M25 :-)

Old April 16th 04, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
news

At one point the rebuilding of Edmonton Green
featured a huge new Bus Station, though I fail
to see where that could be given the available space.

I think they should have rerouted the A1010 via New Road. The existing A1010
between the southern end of New Road and Church St, and the southern side of
the roundabout, would then become a huge bus station joining the train
station with the shopping centre.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 16th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Crowded is an understatement to describe Edmonton Green Bus Station most
of the day...Rugby scrum would be more accurate. As for where the buses
will sit "on stand", your guess is as good as mine. New Road is
generally used by First Capital for the W6, the alighting point on the
roundabout side for the 191 and 259, and by the W6/W8 stop on the
Shopping Centre side for the 102 and 144.

Most of the 191s and the 102s run around the roundabout and terminate at the
alighting only stop used by the W6 outside the banqueting suite and then
stand in the New Road (again with the W6). However you do see the odd 191
run into the bus station and terminate at the same place as the 259 and
similarly the odd 102 runs via New Road and terminates and stands with the
144. They seem to be the exception to the rule though (certainly during the
day anyway). It is certainly rare to pass New Road during the day and not
find two or three 191s parked up.

Enfield Garage shurely? Given that Edmonton (or the new "Edmonton"
Garage, anyway) is now operated by Arriva Lea Valley and located in
Stonehill Business Park just off Angel Road.

Arriva seem to think that Arriva London North operate Edmonton Garage and
certainly it seems the 149 will be operated from there.

Does Arriva Lea Valley still exist? The only reference I've found to it is
as the company operating Edmonton Garage listed on the Enfield Council web
site.

Old April 16th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At one point the rebuilding of Edmonton Green
featured a huge new Bus Station, though I fail
to see where that could be given the available space.

I think they should have rerouted the A1010 via New Road. The existing

A1010
between the southern end of New Road and Church St, and the southern side

of
the roundabout, would then become a huge bus station joining the train
station with the shopping centre.

I haven't seen any of the plans for the redevelopment of Edmonton Green but
I would have thought there could be the possibility of New Road being
demolished. Apart from being a bus stand it is pretty much redundant.
Since the 1970s it has only provided access to the multi-storey car park and
that was closed years ago and is due for demolition soon. Perhaps they
intend to remove the New Road and build the new leisure centre etc etc a bit
further back. If the New Road is removed it brings a large path of unused
land next to the other multi-storey much more into play. That might allow
a broader bus station which could also perhaps be extended to the north and
south a bit by shifting the junctions with the high road (sadly the
footbridge seems to be earmarked for the chop too).

Old April 17th 04, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message

I haven't seen any of the plans for the redevelopment
of Edmonton Green but I would have thought there
could be the possibility of New Road being demolished.

That was indeed the plan last time I checked (a few years ago now).

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped