Old December 10th 18, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Looking forward to when even more transport, and self driving cars, rely on 24x7 data connectivity

In message , at 10:09:43
on Mon, 10 Dec 2018, David Cantrell remarked:

In truth it's one of the least important services to be affected by the
outage, which has the potential (in a future scenario) to ground half
the country's self-driving cars, or cause half of commuters to be unable
to use their m-ticketing application.

Those would be the same commuters who can't show their tickets when the
train is in the middle of ruralistan. A problem that I have literally
never heard of.

My own experience of using such things is that you always have the
option to download the ticket to your device.

Not if there's an O2 outage at the time you'd be wanting to download it.
And of course if you are one of the people who has been repeatedly
assured that the 'best' way to get a ticket is to buy it[1] via an App
while walking to the station... no O2, no ticket.

And of course as a result there's a queue out of the door for both the
rarely-open ticket window and the machines. The 1tph train is due in 5
minutes.

No doubt you'll now come up with some weird edge case, but in that case
I would assume that ticket inspectors would just wave people through if
they know that there's an outage.

"The computer[aka barrier] says no" is a common issue at places like
Kings Cross where the staff appear to be untrained at anything, and T&C
for m-ticketing and e-ticketing are riddled with "if the tech is broken,
then tough ****" messages.

[1] Or indeed your station parking.

Old December 10th 18, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:22:41 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
And of course as a result there's a queue out of the door for both the
rarely-open ticket window and the machines. The 1tph train is due in 5
minutes.

With some clueless tourist or pensioner randomly pressing every button in
order to try and buy a ticket.

Old December 11th 18, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:47:48AM +0000, Mrs. Invalid-Address wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:00:31 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
The next bus display screens really aren't that important. The buses
will still run without them, and they have big signs on the front
telling you what route they're running on and where they're going, so
passengers can still get to their destinations.

Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
Old December 11th 18, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
The next bus display screens really aren't that important. The buses
will still run without them, and they have big signs on the front
telling you what route they're running on and where they're going, so
passengers can still get to their destinations.

Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

www,bustimes.org

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 11th 18, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote

Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

www.bustimes.org

does this show live information?

I clicked away and 'due' never showed.

--
Mike D

Old December 11th 18, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11/12/2018 17:28, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

"Graeme Wall"Â* wrote

Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of
occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

www.bustimes.org

does this show live information?

Does round here

I clicked away and 'due' never showed.

Don't think it does that, just gives the "live" time.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 12th 18, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
The next bus display screens really aren't that important. The buses
will still run without them, and they have big signs on the front
telling you what route they're running on and where they're going, so
passengers can still get to their destinations.
Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

www,bustimes.org

That could depend on the operator
2-3 years ago wandering around north Surrey 1 noticed that Tfl busses had
real time information but Surrey ones just had timetable information

Old December 14th 18, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

news
David Cantrell wrote:
The next bus display screens really aren't that important. The buses
will still run without them, and they have big signs on the front
telling you what route they're running on and where they're going, so
passengers can still get to their destinations.
Its pretty useful to know if the next bus is 20 mins away and you could
walk to your destination faster. I've done that on a number of
occasions.

I wonder how people cope at the vast majority of bus stops that don't
have electronic signs.

www,bustimes.org

Hm,

The bus stop that I used to use as a kid (and wait many hours at because the
once every 10 minutes bus did not come for 40 minutes) is completely missing
from that site

tim