London Banter

-   -   Fulham Broadway station query (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/16709-fulham-broadway-station-query.html)

Recliner[_3_] December 7th 18 01:22 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

This week, I used Fulham Broadway station for the first time in a
while, and I was reminded that the exits for the platforms are halfway
along, forcing you to walk through the new shopping centre they've
built next door.

In the original station, the building was on the other side of the
train shed. The listed building is still there, and now acts as an
eating/drinking court. Quite a few original features remain, such as
the old booking office windows, which now serve rather expensive
drinks (expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157676441818868

But I've not worked out where the original platform exits were. Were
they, as I assume, nearer the road, so it was a shorter walk to exit
the station, with no requirement to walk past a load of shops?

Roland Perry December 7th 18 02:29 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

In message , at 14:22:43 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Recliner[_3_] December 7th 18 02:51 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 15:29:50 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:22:43 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

Recliner[_3_] December 7th 18 08:23 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

Fulham Broadway, as I said. I hope I'm remembering the prices right, but
I'm sure a round of three beers got ample change from a tenner at the
'spoons, but three pints cost around £20 in the arcade.

Roland Perry December 7th 18 08:48 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

In message , at 21:23:01 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

Fulham Broadway, as I said. I hope I'm remembering the prices right, but
I'm sure a round of three beers got ample change from a tenner at the
'spoons, but three pints cost around £20 in the arcade.

It's dead, Jim.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...spoon-pubs-in-
london-are-shutting-down-a3253666.html

Recliner[_3_] December 7th 18 09:14 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:23:01 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

Fulham Broadway, as I said. I hope I'm remembering the prices right, but
I'm sure a round of three beers got ample change from a tenner at the
'spoons, but three pints cost around £20 in the arcade.

It's dead, Jim.

Except that it's not. As usual, you need to do better research before
making definitive, but completely misinformed, statements like that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...spoon-pubs-in-
london-are-shutting-down-a3253666.html

That was then and this is now. I can assure that the Oyster Rooms is a
huge, busy pub with about ten draught beers and ciders on tap.

I'm sure you'd love Tim Martin's Brexit posters, too.

Roland Perry December 9th 18 06:42 AM

Fulham Broadway station query

In message , at 22:14:37 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:23:01 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

Fulham Broadway, as I said. I hope I'm remembering the prices right, but
I'm sure a round of three beers got ample change from a tenner at the
'spoons, but three pints cost around £20 in the arcade.

It's dead, Jim.

Except that it's not. As usual, you need to do better research before
making definitive, but completely misinformed, statements like that.

You aren't so much misinformed, as jumping to conclusions. I did use the
Wetherspoons site: https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs
because I was wondering if it might have price lists for each pub, to
check out your £2/pint in the Wetherspoons claim.

Nothing showing for Fulham, so I did some more research, and discovered
a couple of reports it was closing (as a Wetherspoons).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...spoon-pubs-in-
london-are-shutting-down-a3253666.html

That was then and this is now. I can assure that the Oyster Rooms is a
huge, busy pub with about ten draught beers and ciders on tap.

OK, so it was either reprieved, or hasn't found a buyer yet.

Recliner[_3_] December 9th 18 07:27 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:23:01 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
[...]

Neither.

You really need to improve your Googling skills. And read the posts you're
responding to properly.

Roland Perry December 9th 18 02:05 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

In message , at 08:27:01 on Sun, 9 Dec 2018,
Recliner remarked:
[...]

Too much trouble to say what's actually happened, is it?

Arthur Figgis December 9th 18 02:59 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Recliner[_3_] December 9th 18 03:53 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower than
the local competition.

Basil Jet[_4_] December 9th 18 05:26 PM

On 09/12/2018 16:53, Recliner wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower than
the local competition.

Why? Are they awful?

--
Basil Jet - listening... St. Vincent. Star Park. Stealing Sheep. Stephen
Mallinder. Stereolab. Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. Steve Mackay. Steve

Graeme Wall December 9th 18 05:41 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower
than
the local competition.

Why? Are they awful?

Their USP is cheap beer and food.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] December 9th 18 08:28 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower
than the local competition.

Why? Are they awful?

Their USP is cheap beer and food.

Along with no loud music and a choice of real ales. I like them, as do
many others.

Graeme Wall December 9th 18 08:48 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

Depends, some are very good, others have got very tatty and are often
understaffed.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] December 9th 18 08:59 PM

Fulham Broadway station query

Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

Yes, they can be slow to clear away empty glasses, dirty plates, etc.

David Cantrell December 10th 18 09:20 AM

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 02:22:43PM +0000, Recliner wrote:

the old booking office windows, which now serve rather expensive
drinks (expect to pay over ?6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre).

For different beers, of course. It is of course outrageous that
different products have different prices.

[OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
-- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery

David Cantrell December 10th 18 09:23 AM

On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 09:48:24PM +0000, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/12/2018 21:28, Recliner wrote:
Along with no loud music and a choice of real ales. I like them, as do
many others.

Depends, some are very good, others have got very tatty and are often
understaffed.

So Wetherspoons pubs are like other pubs then.

European immigration: making Britain great since AD43

Graeme Wall December 10th 18 10:40 AM

On 10/12/2018 10:23, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 09:48:24PM +0000, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/12/2018 21:28, Recliner wrote:
Along with no loud music and a choice of real ales. I like them, as do
many others.

Depends, some are very good, others have got very tatty and are often
understaffed.

So Wetherspoons pubs are like other pubs then.

There are more consistent chains.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] December 10th 18 11:20 AM

Fulham Broadway station query

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:20:33 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 02:22:43PM +0000, Recliner wrote:

the old booking office windows, which now serve rather expensive
drinks (expect to pay over ?6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre).

For different beers, of course. It is of course outrageous that
different products have different prices.

Even in Wetherspoons, not all beers are the same price.

But the most expensive real ale in the current Fulham Broadway station
Wetherspoons is around half the price of the cheapest beer in the bar
in the old Fulham Broadway station next door. I didn't check if
there's any overlap in the beers they sell.

upinthesky December 11th 18 07:08 AM

On Friday, 7 December 2018 14:22:48 UTC, Recliner wrote:
[...]

The platform exits were reached via the staircase at the western end of the station. This lead you into the old ticket hall and you would arrive at the street through what is now the food outlet you referred to.

Recliner[_3_] December 11th 18 07:57 AM

upinthesky wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did wonder if what is now just a footbridge was previously connected
to the old station, but couldn't see any sealed-off doorway.

There's also an old street exit still visible, which looks like it's still
in part-time use (maybe on match days?). That looks like it bypassed the
old booking hall:

https://goo.gl/images/NnqnyZ

Northolt Park Gates December 11th 18 11:27 AM

[...]

The old entrances and exits are no longer used, even on match days.
On match days the doors at the East end of the station are opened. This takes the football crowd via the shopping centre car park into the Fulham road..

Arthur Figgis December 11th 18 11:05 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower
than
the local competition.

Why? Are they awful?

Variable. My definition of a crap place is that the only entry in the
GBG is a Spoons.

That one with staff wearing bodycams and drug dealers in the bogs is
very different to the one in a converted opera house.

For all their faults, they do have a minimum standard, and they do
reliably serve something resembling hot food without all the "FOOD
SERVED ALL DAY!!! [but not after 1pm or at weekends]" hassle of "proper"
pubs.

(all real ales at The George in Croydon are currently under GBP3)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Kerr-Mudd,John December 12th 18 08:43 AM

Fulham Broadway station query

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:51:48 on Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner
remarked:

[...]

South Wales prices are typically £2.15pp. Port Talbot maybe £1.89 still.

Airport/NEC 'spoon prices are always higher.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

tim... December 14th 18 12:21 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

and the cheapness often shows up in the food

you have to know the menu to avoid the crap offerings

tim