Old April 29th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail again

I noticed yesterday that just under the City end of the Lower Lea
Crossing, there are some Works of some description, mostly a very large
Hole in the Ground. There is, of course, a protective barrier
surrounding these Works, and on them a notice reading "Crossrail Line
One, 24 hour helpline" and then a telephone number.

Anybody know whether this is really anything to do with Crossrail, or
just a useful piece of barrier imported from somewhere else.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Old April 29th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
I noticed yesterday that just under the City end of the Lower Lea
Crossing, there are some Works of some description, mostly a very
large Hole in the Ground. There is, of course, a protective barrier
surrounding these Works, and on them a notice reading "Crossrail Line
One, 24 hour helpline" and then a telephone number.

Anybody know whether this is really anything to do with Crossrail, or
just a useful piece of barrier imported from somewhere else.

Why not phone the number and ask?

Old April 29th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
I noticed yesterday that just under the City end of the Lower Lea
Crossing, there are some Works of some description, mostly a very
large Hole in the Ground. There is, of course, a protective barrier
surrounding these Works, and on them a notice reading "Crossrail
Line One, 24 hour helpline" and then a telephone number.

Anybody know whether this is really anything to do with Crossrail,
or just a useful piece of barrier imported from somewhere else.

It's certainly more or less over the planned alignment of the Crossrail
tunnels. It may be a test borehole to analyse the ground structure.
However, I would not expect that to produce a "very large" hole visible
on the surface. Is this just east of the roundabout where the Lower Lea
Crossing meets Aspen Way?

--
Richard J.

Old April 29th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 09:12:24, Brimstone
wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote:
I noticed yesterday that just under the City end of the Lower Lea
Crossing, there are some Works of some description, mostly a very
large Hole in the Ground. There is, of course, a protective barrier
surrounding these Works, and on them a notice reading "Crossrail Line
One, 24 hour helpline" and then a telephone number.

Anybody know whether this is really anything to do with Crossrail, or
just a useful piece of barrier imported from somewhere else.

Why not phone the number and ask?

Because I can never be bothered while I'm passing, and can't remember
the number when I'm not!
Old April 29th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 10:53:33, Richard J.
wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote:
I noticed yesterday that just under the City end of the Lower Lea
Crossing, there are some Works of some description, mostly a very
large Hole in the Ground. There is, of course, a protective barrier
surrounding these Works, and on them a notice reading "Crossrail
Line One, 24 hour helpline" and then a telephone number.

Anybody know whether this is really anything to do with Crossrail,
or just a useful piece of barrier imported from somewhere else.

It's certainly more or less over the planned alignment of the Crossrail
tunnels. It may be a test borehole to analyse the ground structure.
However, I would not expect that to produce a "very large" hole visible
on the surface. Is this just east of the roundabout where the Lower Lea
Crossing meets Aspen Way?

Yes, that's right - where Orchard Place crosses under the Lower Lea
Crossing (turn left for the Pura factory, right for Trinity Buoy Wharf).
It's not as large a hole as all that, but great signs all round "Danger:
Deep hole", to stop all the truck drivers falling in (there's a truck
stop just there, which must make delicious tea since there's always
loads of lorries stopped there!).

Old April 30th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
It's certainly more or less over the planned alignment of the Crossrail
tunnels.

I always thought that Crossrail was supposed to start from Stratford so that
it would offer an interchange with NR, Central and Jubilee lines and the
DLR - not to mention that new branch line to Paris. I am sure that Stratford
featured in all the original publicity before the project was scrapped. Are
you saying that the Mk II version leaves out this feature (and the
flexibility that results.)?

Terry

Old April 30th 04, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Casey wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
It's certainly more or less over the planned alignment of the
Crossrail tunnels.

I always thought that Crossrail was supposed to start from
Stratford so that it would offer an interchange with NR, Central
and Jubilee lines and the DLR - not to mention that new branch line
to Paris. I am sure that Stratford featured in all the original
publicity before the project was scrapped. Are you saying that the
Mk II version leaves out this feature (and the flexibility that
results.)?

No, there is still a line through Stratford, but this discussion relates
to the other line through Isle of Dogs (aka West India Quay), Custom
House, and under the Thames to Abbey Wood and Ebbsleet. The two lines
meet east of Whitechapel.

See map at
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/routemaps03/$FILE/cro
ssrail+line+1+connections+map+2004.pdf

--
Richard J.

Old April 30th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I always thought that Crossrail was supposed to start from
Stratford so that it would offer an interchange with NR, Central
and Jubilee lines and the DLR---------

------------ this discussion relates
to the other line through Isle of Dogs (aka West India Quay), Custom
House, and under the Thames to Abbey Wood and Ebbsleet. The two lines
meet east of Whitechapel.

Thanks for putting me right and for the link, which I found very
informative.

Terry