Old May 12th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default £1 flat fare tube

"Respect" are promising a £1 flat fare for tube use. They want *more* people
to use the tube.

I wonder if anyone in "Respect" has ever used the tube in the morning rush
hour?

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old May 13th 04, 02:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:41:53 +0100, "Paul Weaver"
wrote:

"Respect" are promising a £1 flat fare for tube use. They want *more* people
to use the tube.

I wonder if anyone in "Respect" has ever used the tube in the morning rush
hour?

Who or what are "Respect"?

Cheers,

Jason.
Old May 13th 04, 03:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

this lot: http://www.respectfestival.org.uk/ ?

Old May 13th 04, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Fried wrote:
"Respect" are promising a £1 flat fare for tube use. They want
*more* people to use the tube.

I wonder if anyone in "Respect" has ever used the tube in the
morning rush hour?

Who or what are "Respect"?

this lot: http://www.respectfestival.org.uk/ ?

No, it's this lot: http://www.respectcoalition.com/

They are a political party contesting the GLA and London Mayoral
elections (candidate for the latter, Lindsey German). As far as I can
see, their many costly proposals are supposed to be funded by local
income tax and higher business rates, neither of which they would have
the power to implement.

--
Richard J.

Old May 13th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

dan wrote:

"Mark Fried" wrote in message ...

"Respect" are promising a £1 flat fare for tube use. They want *more*

people

to use the tube.

I wonder if anyone in "Respect" has ever used the tube in the morning

rush

hour?

Who or what are "Respect"?

this lot: http://www.respectfestival.org.uk/ ?

Errrr.. no! RESPECT are a new political party founded by George
Galloway and the Stop the War Coalition. Their web-site is
http://www.respectcoalition.org/

I am not surprised that you hadn't heard of them - few people
have......

I have to say that I wasn't very impressed by them at the ULU hustings;
they were mildly disruptive (they wanted to be on the panel which had
representatives from the top five parties at the last election) and if
I'm going to vote based on the war, I'm certainly not going to do it in
the London elections which have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Besides, all five candidates on the panel were anti-war anyway - so they
weren't really achieving anything.

As for their policies, they seem to have been picked out of the air just
so it looks like they are actually bothered about London. Apparently
Respect "are not the usual suited politicians who court your vote, then
once in office turn their backs on you."
That is, until they bankrupt TfL within a few months with:
- £1 tube fare (presumably with associated decreases in season ticket
fares and bus fares)
- full disabled accessibility on ALL public transport (presumably
including Zone 1 LU stations)
- free travel for pensioners (that we already have?), students, under
18s and the unemployed
- conductors on all buses
- guards on all LU and overground trains
- and 24-hour LU and train services (where maintenance is presumably
carried out by pixies)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 13th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 22:00:43, Dave Arquati wrote:

- and 24-hour LU and train services (where maintenance is presumably
carried out by pixies)

Definitely dreaming.... but what I have always wondered is how does New
York manage to run a 24-hour service, or is this because they can often
re-route trains if they want to close a section of line (very muddling
for visitors!), which we can't do in London?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004
Old May 13th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 22:00:43, Dave Arquati wrote:

- and 24-hour LU and train services (where maintenance is presumably
carried out by pixies)

Definitely dreaming.... but what I have always wondered is how does New
York manage to run a 24-hour service, or is this because they can often
re-route trains if they want to close a section of line (very muddling
for visitors!), which we can't do in London?

Because some New York lines have four tracks (for fast/slow trains) of
which one pair can be used for all services at night. So theoretically
engineering on Finchley Road - Wembley Park or Barons Court - Acton Town
needn't close the line (although I'm sure the HSE would disagree).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 13th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 22:00:43, Dave Arquati wrote:

- and 24-hour LU and train services (where maintenance is presumably
carried out by pixies)

Definitely dreaming.... but what I have always wondered is how does New
York manage to run a 24-hour service, or is this because they can often
re-route trains if they want to close a section of line (very muddling
for visitors!), which we can't do in London?

Because some New York lines have four tracks (for fast/slow trains) of
which one pair can be used for all services at night. So theoretically
engineering on Finchley Road - Wembley Park or Barons Court - Acton Town
needn't close the line (although I'm sure the HSE would disagree).

You'll find only the 4 track lines continue to run 7 days a week, 24 hours a
day. The lines with only 2 tracks are shut at times for engineering works
and bus replacement services are offered. Aren't the 4 track lines more
separated than LUL / NR in most places, thus not having the engineering
staff subject to be hit by moving trains?