Old May 14th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South Side of Vauxhall Bridge

I can’t make head or tail of what the metal construction on the south side
of Vauxhall bridge, near the MI6 building, is? It shows this metal
construction pointing upwards, WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?

Rgds
John

Old May 14th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Nuts wrote:
I can't make head or tail of what the metal construction on the
south side of Vauxhall bridge, near the MI6 building, is? It shows
this metal construction pointing upwards, WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?

I've been meaning to ask the same question myself. I think it's a
Network Rail initiative, based on a visit to Alton Towers. If you
emerge from Vauxhall NR station grumbling about the state of the track,
they say "If you think that was bad, just wait till you try out our new
ride ..."

--
Richard J.

Old May 14th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Nuts" wrote in message
I can't make head or tail of what the metal construction on the south

side
of Vauxhall bridge, near the MI6 building, is? It shows this metal
construction pointing upwards, WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?
Rgds
John

I have a similar question in relation to Hungerford Bridge - why is there a
door on the western side of the southern brick pier which I know originally
supported the previous, suspension, bridge on the site which was built by
Isambard Kingdom Brunel and opened in 1845.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old May 15th 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hello

it´s the new bus station

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/vauxhall_cross.shtml

Greetings from Berlin
Joachim

Old May 15th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 May 2004 at 20:59:33, Richard J.
wrote:

John Nuts wrote:
I can't make head or tail of what the metal construction on the
south side of Vauxhall bridge, near the MI6 building, is? It shows
this metal construction pointing upwards, WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?

I've been meaning to ask the same question myself. I think it's a
Network Rail initiative, based on a visit to Alton Towers. If you
emerge from Vauxhall NR station grumbling about the state of the track,
they say "If you think that was bad, just wait till you try out our new
ride ..."

Isn't it some sort of new bus station? But goodness knows what the
architect thought - I used to go past every day, but now it's only once
in a blue moon, and I nearly had a fit, last time!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004
Old May 15th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

I can't make head or tail of what the metal construction on the south

side
of Vauxhall bridge, near the MI6 building, is? It shows this metal
construction pointing upwards, WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?

It's the new bus station, part of a redevelopment

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...ll_cross.shtml

Jim

Old May 15th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim
writes
It's the new bus station, part of a redevelopment

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...ll_cross.shtml

"The main feature of the development will be a fully
pedestrianised bus station."

So how do the busses get into it?

"A landmark feature of the new bus station will be its canopy
roof"

All I can see in the picture are two "fingers". Is there something more
substantial keeping the rain off the rest of the area?
Old May 16th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"A landmark feature of the new bus station will be its canopy roof"

And of course the "will be" is interesting ... another late running project
..... target date for completion was "end of 2003"
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/pdfdoc...et-update-2003.
pdf)

Bob
--
mailto

Old May 17th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

Isn't it some sort of new bus station?

According to
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro....html#Vauxhall ....

"In April 2000, planning permission for a £15m "beetle-shaped" bus station
was being sought, with completion planned for December 2001".

Is it not finished yet then ? ;-)

But goodness knows what the architect thought

The site was a unique challenge because of the Victoria Line and various
other untouchables passing beneath nearly every square inch of the area. I
have a vague recollection that the River Effra might flow beneath the site
as well. This meant that load-bearing spikes had to be mounted on the few
solid spots, and the rest of the building had to be hung from the spikes. So
it is an intelligent and appropriate design, they aren't just being avant
garde to show off.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped