Old April 23rd 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Line-side works, Hillingdon-Uxbridge

Does anyone on the group know what is going on beside the Met/Pic line
between Hillingdon and Uxbridge? They appear to have been working there
for a year now and achieved nothing more than cutting down a load of trees
and shoring up the embankment (a job the trees were probably doing
extremely well, thank you very much, prior to removal).

Any ideas? I'm flummoxed.

--
Fig

Old April 23rd 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 23, 10:21 pm, Fig wrote:
Does anyone on the group know what is going on beside the Met/Pic line
between Hillingdon and Uxbridge? They appear to have been working there
for a year now and achieved nothing more than cutting down a load of trees
and shoring up the embankment (a job the trees were probably doing
extremely well, thank you very much, prior to removal).

Any ideas? I'm flummoxed.

--
Fig

Sounds a bit like what's going on along the Northern line north of
Finchley Central.. no idea what it is though

Old April 24th 07, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"gw2486" wrote in message
ps.com
On Apr 23, 10:21 pm, Fig wrote:
Does anyone on the group know what is going on beside the Met/Pic
line between Hillingdon and Uxbridge? They appear to have been
working there for a year now and achieved nothing more than cutting
down a load of trees and shoring up the embankment (a job the trees
were probably doing extremely well, thank you very much, prior to
removal).

Any ideas? I'm flummoxed.

--
Fig

Sounds a bit like what's going on along the Northern line north of
Finchley Central.. no idea what it is though

Perhaps they *are* just stabilising the embankments and adding a solid
walkway? I've know protracted works elsewhere on LU that did just that.

Old April 24th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:20:21 +0100, Recliner
wrote:

"gw2486" wrote in message
ps.com
On Apr 23, 10:21 pm, Fig wrote:
Does anyone on the group know what is going on beside the Met/Pic
line between Hillingdon and Uxbridge? They appear to have been
working there for a year now and achieved nothing more than cutting
down a load of trees and shoring up the embankment (a job the trees
were probably doing extremely well, thank you very much, prior to
removal).

Any ideas? I'm flummoxed.

--
Fig

Sounds a bit like what's going on along the Northern line north of
Finchley Central.. no idea what it is though

Perhaps they *are* just stabilising the embankments and adding a solid
walkway? I've know protracted works elsewhere on LU that did just that.

I fear you could be correct, Recliner. Stretching the definition of
'protracted' slightly though. I've seen motorways built quicker. Still,
what do I know. I'll shove my head back into my Metro and carry on minding
my own business. :-)

--
Fig
Old April 24th 07, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Fig" wrote in message newsp.tralf6f8m4iaeb@dell
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:20:21 +0100, Recliner
wrote:

"gw2486" wrote in message
ps.com
On Apr 23, 10:21 pm, Fig wrote:
Does anyone on the group know what is going on beside the Met/Pic
line between Hillingdon and Uxbridge? They appear to have been
working there for a year now and achieved nothing more than cutting
down a load of trees and shoring up the embankment (a job the trees
were probably doing extremely well, thank you very much, prior to
removal).

Any ideas? I'm flummoxed.

--
Fig

Sounds a bit like what's going on along the Northern line north of
Finchley Central.. no idea what it is though

Perhaps they *are* just stabilising the embankments and adding a
solid walkway? I've known protracted works elsewhere on LU that did
just that.

I fear you could be correct, Recliner. Stretching the definition of
'protracted' slightly though. I've seen motorways built quicker.
Still, what do I know. I'll shove my head back into my Metro and
carry on minding my own business. :-)

Well, this is Metronet, after all -- plans to take longer and cost more
to deliver less, and still runs late.

Old April 24th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Maybe its bank stabilisation for the new trains (or maybe its just falling
down anyway)

Old April 24th 07, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The embankment, over 100 years old, needed to be stabilised, presumably
because it was in danger of collapse. During the work, wildlife including
badgers and great crested newts were discovered and relocated. Hopefully the
ancient jointed track will be replaced when the groundwork is complete.

A year or so ago Ruislip Manor platforms had to be rebuilt as they were
subsiding, and the embankment between Rayners lane and Eastcote was
stabilised.