Old March 20th 19, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 95/96 stock in northfields depot

As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?

Old March 20th 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/03/2019 09:24, Recliner wrote:
Neil Robertson wrote:
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?

Brake testing?

That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
Spratleys Japs - Hands (Marc Riley session)
Old March 20th 19, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?

Brake testing?

That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.

Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.

Old March 20th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?

Brake testing?

That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.

Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.

Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?

Old March 20th 19, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?

Brake testing?

That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.

Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.

Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?

I think so, running very slowly, and ECS of course. It's too large to run
in service through the Piccadilly line tunnels, but was designed to fit for
stock transfers.

Old March 20th 19, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
[...]

You sure? I thought it was delivered by road to northumberland park because
it didn't fit. Seems a lot of effort if they could simply have dragged it from
Derby.

Old March 20th 19, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow

yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone

know
what its doing there?

Brake testing?

That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.

Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.

Presumably the signalling there has been immunised against harmonics.

Old March 20th 19, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
[...]

It was certainly delivered by road, probably to avoid the disruption of the
fleet crawling along the Central and Piccadilly lines. If they'd really
wanted to deliver by rail it would have been much easier to restore the
connection to the NR line thst runs alongside the Northumberland Park
depot.

Old March 21st 19, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Robertson wrote:
[...]

True. There does seem to be conflicting information wrt the 2009 stock
depending on what source you read. Wikipedia says its wider than other tube
stock - it isn't, but what it does have is a clearly more vertical profile
on the sides before the body starts to curve over. I suspect bashing the tunnel
at the top of the doors on curves is probably the real issue.