Old July 24th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train was covering for brother

In message , at 20:21:58 on Wed, 24 Jul
2019, Clank remarked:

Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a
whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a
new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
decades...

Ear*phones* are certainly a thing which appear to appear to the more
introverted phone users who are using it as chiefly a music player. To
that extent it's no different to a Walkman.

Old July 24th 19, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:30:47 on Wed, 24 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
Most people can get through a day on one charge. And if they can't, there
are plenty of places to recharge. And if they're not available, it's easy
to carry a small power bank separately in a bag.

Bingo.

Did you only read the last sentence?

Why; are you doing a u-turn on the last sentence now?

Of course not, but I made clear that only a minority do it.

Old July 24th 19, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:21:58 on Wed, 24 Jul
2019, Clank remarked:

Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a
whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a
new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
decades...

Ear*phones* are certainly a thing which appear to appear to the more
introverted phone users who are using it as chiefly a music player. To
that extent it's no different to a Walkman.

Indeed so. That's one of many devices that smartphones have replaced.

Old July 24th 19, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 18:21, Clank wrote:
Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
decades...

More like a century!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 24th 19, 07:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 20:17, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:21:58 on Wed, 24 Jul
2019, Clank remarked:

Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a
whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a
new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
decades...

Ear*phones* are certainly a thing which appear to appear to the more
introverted phone users who are using it as chiefly a music player. To
that extent it's no different to a Walkman.

I favor the ear canal variety which completely drown out the
interminable announcements on the railways.

Old July 24th 19, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 18:21, Clank wrote:
Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
decades...

I don't think earphones with a microphone built into the neck area
pre-dated mobile phones.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Paul Weller - 2002 - Illumination
Old July 24th 19, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:30:00 on Wed, 17 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:49:30 on Wed, 17 Jul
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Now you mention it, I did once have a case for a smartphone that had
power bank integrated, which meant having a pass-through connector. But
the battery inside that died very quickly (a matter of months). The fact
they are so rare makes me think there's something systemically wrong
with them.

Is it also perhaps because the backs of phones increasingly have buttons
and camera lenses/flashes and so on - which would tend to get obscured
unless the case had exactly the correct cut-outs in it.

The case has to be designed to fit the size, shape and connectors of the
phone anyway; putting holes in the right place for camera, microphone,
speaker etc isn’t rocket science. Plain cases for every variety of phone
manage it, so do the powered cases.

I just went to Amazon to look, for my LG phone. A choice of 13 products,
every single one "Currently unavailable".

Presumably because your phone is ancient?

It's only three years old, but a design that's five years old. Sadly it
just missed out having a major Android version change installed from
new.

I'm curious why you bought a new phone with a five year old design? It
must have already been years out of date on the day you got it.

Old July 24th 19, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 20:46, Basil Jet wrote:
On 24/07/2019 18:21, Clank wrote:
Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a
whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a
new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
Â* accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
Â* decades...

I don't think earphones with a microphone built into the neck area
pre-dated mobile phones.

The RAF used a version called a throat mic[1] which is very similar,
introduced in the 1950s IIRC

[1] It is literally strapped to the larynx for use in high noise
situations, takes some getting used to when you are listening in.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 24th 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 21:49, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 24/07/2019 20:46, Basil Jet wrote:
On 24/07/2019 18:21, Clank wrote:
Roland Perry Wrote in message:
That's why I'm sure some buy new sexier earbuds, without buying a
whole new phone (or indeed waiting until it's time for them to buy a
new phone and get the together).

It's telling that earphones are now considered a mobile phone
Â* accessory, despite predating the invention of the mobile phone by
Â* decades...

I don't think earphones with a microphone built into the neck area
pre-dated mobile phones.

The RAF used a version called a throat mic[1] which is very similar,
introduced in the 1950s IIRC

[1] It is literally strapped to the larynx for use in high noise
situations, takes some getting used to when you are listening in.

Thanks for that, but it doesn't change the fact that earphones with a
microphone in the cable *are* a mobile phone accessory.

Old July 24th 19, 09:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2019 22:30, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

The RAF version had earphones as well, but a lot more clumsy than the
modern version, you certainly couldn't slip it into the back pocket of
your jeans.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Sim-L-Bus Peter Wright London Transport 1 August 3rd 14 09:30 AM
HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns E27002 London Transport 3 March 23rd 10 03:50 PM
The little git tube worker fired! Ian F. London Transport 12 October 27th 09 07:38 AM
Big Brother Anon London Transport 2 February 21st 04 12:02 AM
Oyster=Big Brother ?? Tony Bryer London Transport 16 September 30th 03 08:53 AM