Old July 15th 19, 07:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train was covering for brother

In message , at 21:45:53 on Sun, 14
Jul 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

Going back to dual SIM, whatever happened to the Orange system of two
numbers (Line 2) on a single SIM..? I had it for a while back in the
day, but ISTR Orange killed it off, I don't recall any other UK network
ever using it..?

Orange had several innovative features, because it was really a product
aimed at SMEs, to use as a combined cordless PABX at the office, and
mobile when in the field. But with changes in marketing perspective (and
of course network ownership), most of them rotted away.

Old July 15th 19, 08:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:55:14 on Sun, 14 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:

I also have a Moto phone, and it's a good all-rounder, but it had
never occurred to me to try and open the case, with its camera and
fingerprint sensor. And, indeed, it's not user-replaceable:

http://motorola-global-en-roe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/126930/~/can-i-replace-the-battery-in-my-moto-g6-play%3F

https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6-play/documents/MS126899

Oddly enough, the most recent addition to our collection of phones here
is also a G6 play (single SIM). But it's not mine to use.
Old July 15th 19, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:43:12 on Mon, 15
Jul 2019, Marland remarked:

I was quite surprised to find the DORO 2404 granny phone that was sold
in LIDl last year for £24.99 was dual Sim.

Same with the unlocked Aldi "Workzone" ruggedised candy-bar. The one I
have is 3G, and the battery life is at least two weeks.
Old July 15th 19, 08:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:55:14 on Sun, 14 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:

I also have a Moto phone, and it's a good all-rounder, but it had
never occurred to me to try and open the case, with its camera and
fingerprint sensor. And, indeed, it's not user-replaceable:

http://motorola-global-en-roe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/126930/~/can-i-replace-the-battery-in-my-moto-g6-play%3F

https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6-play/documents/MS126899

Oddly enough, the most recent addition to our collection of phones here
is also a G6 play (single SIM). But it's not mine to use.

You can get a newer Moto at a good price today (Amazon Prime day).

Old July 15th 19, 09:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:52:58 on Mon, 15 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:

Oddly enough, the most recent addition to our collection of phones here
is also a G6 play (single SIM). But it's not mine to use.

You can get a newer Moto at a good price today (Amazon Prime day).

The G6 play is less than year old, and no-one has managed to turn it
into landfill yet. So we'll not be needing to replace it.

Old July 15th 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:52:58 on Mon, 15 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:

Oddly enough, the most recent addition to our collection of phones here
is also a G6 play (single SIM). But it's not mine to use.

You can get a newer Moto at a good price today (Amazon Prime day).

The G6 play is less than year old, and no-one has managed to turn it
into landfill yet. So we'll not be needing to replace it.

I wasn't suggesting prematurely replacing the G6, but allowing *you* access
to a non-vintage phone.

Old July 15th 19, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/07/2019 01:43, Marland wrote:

I was quite surprised to find the DORO 2404 granny phone that was sold in
LIDl last year for £24.99
was dual Sim. As sold the purchaser was steered to Vodafone as it came
with VF PAY as you go
SIM in the package , but my own 3 SIM in the other slot worked fine which
is understandable
as having a dual SIM linked to one provider would pointless in most
circumstances.

Not if you have a both a personal and a business number. It would be
similar to Orange's "Line 2" offering back in the day, which I found
quite useful. I was rather sad when they got rid of it. No other UK
network ever used it, as far as I know.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 15th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 15/07/2019 01:43, Marland wrote:

I was quite surprised to find the DORO 2404 granny phone that was sold in
LIDl last year for £24.99
was dual Sim. As sold the purchaser was steered to Vodafone as it came
with VF PAY as you go
SIM in the package , but my own 3 SIM in the other slot worked fine which
is understandable
as having a dual SIM linked to one provider would pointless in most
circumstances.

Not if you have a both a personal and a business number. It would be
similar to Orange's "Line 2" offering back in the day, which I found
quite useful. I was rather sad when they got rid of it. No other UK
network ever used it, as far as I know.

Which is why I included the words “most circumstances “ rather than
stopping at “pointless.â€

Another example would be a phone shared between two family members who wish
to share a phone but have their own contact number and list of contacts for
when they left home.
But that now basic cellphones are so cheap compared to 20 years ago the
convenience of having one each
available all the time has diminished that method of use.
My use of dual sims was with a work issued Nokia 6310i , I think it used an
adapter that clipped between the phone and battery but it was so long ago I
cannot remember for sure.
The firm wasn’t too bad about allowing limited and reasonable personal use
such as phoning home if delayed or even order a pizza to be collected on
the way back, but I preferred the freedom of being able to use my own
resources without restriction. There were also concerns that too much free
private use of a works phone
would attract the attention of the revenue men and be taxed as benefit in
kind.

My SIM was from Virgin on some sort of pay as you go / contract hybrid
that I cannot remember the name of but I think Roland Perry has mentioned
in the past.
The phone that came with it was actually more featured than the 6310 in
that it had a camera and colour screen and used the Symbian OS for features
making it vaguely intelligent rather than smart.

Using its SIM in the 6310 saved on the pocket clutter by not having to
carry two phones or more usefully the installed hands free car kit which
was tailored for the Nokia 6310 via a hard wired cradle could be used for
my personal number.
Now days the advent of blue tooth means using multiple phones on the same
in car hands free equipment
has also made the requirement to do that obsolete .

GH

Old July 15th 19, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:27:51 on Mon, 15
Jul 2019, Marland remarked:

My SIM was from Virgin on some sort of pay as you go / contract hybrid
that I cannot remember the name of but I think Roland Perry has mentioned
in the past.

iirc they call that "pay monthly". It's a bit like a post-payment PAYG
account, with no ongoing commitment such as you'd have with a classic
contract.

My only remaining Virgin SIM is classic pre-pay PAYG, and I think one of
the disadvantages of that was the roaming charges were very high,
whereas the "Pay Monthly" roaming was cheaper than most contract phones,
at least to begin with back in the day.

Because of my lifestyle at the time, the majority of my mobile calls
were made while I was abroad. (When in the UK, I had landlines at home
and in the office, and the railway commute was largely a long thin
not-spot).
Old July 15th 19, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark Goodge wrote:

Moto dual-sim phones are active dual-sim, and have replaceable
batteries. I have this one, and it has all of the features you mention
except 32GB built in (but it has an SD card slot which provides me
with that): https://amzn.to/2jQA12b

Looking at more recent models, I think this one would tick all the
boxes: https://amzn.to/30vN60j (It has a notched display, though,
which really irritates me, and has moved the fingerprint sensor to the
back, which I'm also not keen on, so I suspect I won't be upgrading to
this when I need to replace my current phone).

The current OnePlus lineup is dual active SIM. The 7 Plus does not have a notch
and uses the screen for fingerprint sensing.

Sim-L-Bus Peter Wright London Transport 1 August 3rd 14 10:30 AM
HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns E27002 London Transport 3 March 23rd 10 04:50 PM
The little git tube worker fired! Ian F. London Transport 12 October 27th 09 08:38 AM
Big Brother Anon London Transport 2 February 21st 04 01:02 AM
Oyster=Big Brother ?? Tony Bryer London Transport 16 September 30th 03 09:53 AM