Old August 31st 19, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

MissRiaElaine wrote:

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR..!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to tell LU and TfL, who routinely call the whole system the
Tube. And in this context, where we're talking only about the deep Tube
lines, it's perfectly correct to call it the Tube.

Old August 31st 19, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2019 20:26, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR..!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to tell LU and TfL, who routinely call the whole system the
Tube. And in this context, where we're talking only about the deep Tube
lines, it's perfectly correct to call it the Tube.

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's been
known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I don't live
there any more.

Sorry, to me it always has been and always will be the Underground.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 31st 19, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR..!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to tell LU and TfL, who routinely call the whole system the
Tube. And in this context, where we're talking only about the deep Tube
lines, it's perfectly correct to call it the Tube.

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's been
known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I don't live
there any more.

Sorry, to me it always has been and always will be the Underground.

That's the official historic name, but it's not what Londoners call it.
Only someone who doesn't know London would call it that.

It's not what TfL calls it. Try looking for the word 'Underground' in:
https://tfl.gov.uk

And if you want an official Underground map, guess what it's long been
called:
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

I don't recall that ordinary Londoners have called it the Underground for
at least a century; the Tube name started to catch on from 1900 with the
CLR, otherwise known as the 'Tuppenny Tube':
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/the_tube.html

Old August 31st 19, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , MissRiaElaine
writes
MissRiaElaine wrote:

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to tell LU and TfL, who routinely call the whole system
the
Tube. And in this context, where we're talking only about the deep Tube
lines, it's perfectly correct to call it the Tube.

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Sorry, to me it always has been and always will be the Underground.

Trolley Bus roundels used to say Trolleybus but it wasn't the name of
the LPTB
--
Bryan Morris
Old August 31st 19, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.
--
Bryan Morris

Old September 1st 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

Shouting TUBE like a loud mouthed toddler doesn’t negate that in the past
the map has been known as the UndergrounD. map and further back it has also
carried the legend Railways, Diagram of Lines.

Examples of both in these links to current ebay sales

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tube-map-...-/113868840132

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-L...-/183874190840

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “ I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage and generally still do. Tube which has equally been around since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way our language evolves .

GM

Old September 1st 19, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2019 23:00, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Sorry, to me it always has been and always will be the Underground.

That's the official historic name, but it's not what Londoners call it.
Only someone who doesn't know London would call it that.

Sorry, wrong. I was born in Romford and grew up in Barkingside. I only
moved up here when I got married, after a brief stint in the Midlands.
So don't tell me I don't know London.

The official historic name is good enough for me.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 10:57, Marland wrote:

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “ I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage and generally still do. Tube which has equally been around since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way our language evolves .

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains. It will
always be a railway station as far as I'm concerned.

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop the u
from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:57:58 on Sun, 1 Sep
2019, Marland remarked:

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called
it the UndergrounD and I of 1950’s vintage and generally still do.

Tube which has equally been around since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.

One if the worst offenders for "Train Station" are bus companies (the
bigger ones also train operators of course) in the naming of bus stops
and even painting on the side of a bus.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132645374@N08/36278889712