Old August 31st 19, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49482840

Old August 31st 19, 09:35 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I certainly hope this turns out to be feasible. Now, if only they can
find a way of extracting surplus heat from inside tube trains and
pumping that into domestic heating systems! Central Line trains
should be the first. It has always puzzled me that eastbound Central
Line trains arrive at Stratford where the platforms are above ground
level, the doors open . . . . . . and the heat remains in the carriages!
Old August 31st 19, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:

I certainly hope this turns out to be feasible. Now, if only they can
find a way of extracting surplus heat from inside tube trains and
pumping that into domestic heating systems! Central Line trains
should be the first. It has always puzzled me that eastbound Central
Line trains arrive at Stratford where the platforms are above ground
level, the doors open . . . . . . and the heat remains in the carriages!

I read a recent article, I think in MR, that pointed out,
counter-intuitively, that underground trains are hot not because of the
heat they pick up in the tunnels, but because of the solar heat they absorb
before entering the tunnel. Apparently experiments have proved that
underground trains that never emerge into sunlight stay cooler (eg, the
Drain). Even being stabled in open sidings (eg, the Victoria line)
pre-heats them.

So just ventilating the hot air in the carriages in a station actually
releases very little of the stored heat in the carriage body.

Old August 31st 19, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:35:41 on Sat, 31
Aug 2019, Robin9 remarked:

I certainly hope this turns out to be feasible. Now, if only they can
find a way of extracting surplus heat from inside tube trains and
pumping that into domestic heating systems! Central Line trains
should be the first. It has always puzzled me that eastbound Central
Line trains arrive at Stratford where the platforms are above ground
level, the doors open . . . . . . and the heat remains in the
carriages!

Because the platforms are even hotter?

Old August 31st 19, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 12:54:33 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 10:35:41 on Sat, 31
Aug 2019, Robin9 remarked:

I certainly hope this turns out to be feasible. Now, if only they can
find a way of extracting surplus heat from inside tube trains and
pumping that into domestic heating systems! Central Line trains
should be the first. It has always puzzled me that eastbound Central
Line trains arrive at Stratford where the platforms are above ground
level, the doors open . . . . . . and the heat remains in the
carriages!

Because the platforms are even hotter?

No, because the train body contains far more heat than does the air in
the carriage.

Old August 31st 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:54:49 on
Sat, 31 Aug 2019, Recliner remarked:
wrote:

In message , at 10:35:41 on Sat, 31
Aug 2019, Robin9 remarked:

I certainly hope this turns out to be feasible. Now, if only they can
find a way of extracting surplus heat from inside tube trains and
pumping that into domestic heating systems! Central Line trains
should be the first. It has always puzzled me that eastbound Central
Line trains arrive at Stratford where the platforms are above ground
level, the doors open . . . . . . and the heat remains in the
carriages!

Because the platforms are even hotter?

No, because the train body contains far more heat than does the air in
the carriage.

Letting in colder air should help in the short term though.

Old August 31st 19, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2019 11:16, Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

[...]

Open the door of a domestic refrigerator for, say, 5-10 seconds and the
cold air tumbles out - without significant effect on the fridge and
other contents.

Only connect

PA
Old August 31st 19, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR..!!!!!!!!!

Old August 31st 19, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 17:25:25 +0100
MissRiaElaine wrote:
How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..!!!!!!!!!

Huh? Even TfL call it the tube in their advertising and its been known as
such for probably a hundred years.