Old September 1st 19, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

On 01/09/2019 12:44, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 10:57, Marland wrote:

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “
I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a
mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called
it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage** and generally still do.* Tube which has equally been around
since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title
was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way* our language evolves .

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains. It will
always be a railway station as far as I'm concerned.

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop the u
from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 1st 19, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 12:53, Graeme Wall wrote:

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

Yes, I think you may be right, not been over there for a while. I did
take the coast-to-coast trip from New York to Oakland and down to LA
about 20 years ago, would love to do that again.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:44:12 on Sun, 1 Sep
2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains.

When did they lose the "ways"?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-or...railways-logo-
20114170.html
Old September 1st 19, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:53:52 on Sun, 1 Sep 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop
the u from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

Indeed. It's a British thing, falling into step (oops, I nearly said 'in
line') with Bus Station.
Old September 1st 19, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

1965, according to Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 12:41:40 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Guess what, there also wasn't a London Overground when you were a
child, even though those same railway lines existed then.
Old September 1st 19, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

PA
Old September 1st 19, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 13:11:05 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:53:52 on Sun, 1 Sep 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop
the u from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

Indeed. It's a British thing, falling into step (oops, I nearly said 'in
line') with Bus Station.

And, to be fair, that's perfectly logical. Bus stations aren't called
road stations, after all. We go to stations to board trains or buses,
not to visit the steel rails or roads. So, although it still grates on
me, I can't really object to Train Station.
Old September 1st 19, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 12:40:32 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 31/08/2019 23:00, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Sorry, to me it always has been and always will be the Underground.

That's the official historic name, but it's not what Londoners call it.
Only someone who doesn't know London would call it that.

Sorry, wrong. I was born in Romford and grew up in Barkingside. I only
moved up here when I got married, after a brief stint in the Midlands.
So don't tell me I don't know London.

The official historic name is good enough for me.

If you want official historic names, why pick the arbitrary
Underground name? It wasn't the original name for the lines, and
isn't the current colloquial name. Would you talk about taking a
Metropolitan Railway train from Paddington to Farringdon? And, of
course, you'd use the City & South London Railway to get from London
Bridge to Stockwell. After all, those are the official historical
names.

The Tube is the technically correct term for the deep tube lines, but
being shorter, and most people not being techies, its use extended to
cover all the LU lines, and TfL has reflected that reality.

And, of course, there's a new naming issue coming up: Crossrail. TfL
is treating the Elizabeth Line as a network in its own right, not just
as another underground or Tube line. So it'll have its own roundel,
just like the whole of the Underground and the whole of the
Overground, but unlike, say, the Metropolitan Line (or, to you, the
Metropolitan Railway). One could have argued with equal logic that it
should be regarded as a Tube line or an Overground line.
Old September 1st 19, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 13:01, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:44:12 on Sun, 1 Sep
2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains.

When did they lose the "ways"?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-or...railways-logo-
20114170.html

1965, there was a massive rebranding exercise introducing drab blue
liveries[1] and the indecisive arrow.

[1] Actually looked quite smart when new but didn't wear well, cheap paint!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.