Old September 8th 19, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line goes south

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 00:49:05 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 07/09/2019 23:00, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/09/2019 20:51, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/09/2019 16:19, wrote:

Didnt you know you can't criticise TfL or any of its subsidiaries on
this
group since they're absolutely beyond reproach and any issues are
the fault of
the passenger.

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

bring back paper timetables

Indeed. And proper signals (semaphore would be nice, but colour light
signals with actual light bulbs would be ok.) LED signals are like LED
street lights, in other words HORRIBLE.

Right... because peering into the fog hoping to see a light every 100
yards that hasn't been obscured by a branch or stolen by scrotes is so
much better than having a monitor in the cab with the message
"Clear for 6.7km, 50kph TSR in 3.4km" written on it.

There are times when I wish Usenet allowed upvotes.

I've just come back from a rail rover. I loved seeing remote token
exchange platforms, drivers getting out of the cab to request tokens
at other places, and distant signals sharing the post with the section
signal. I find the appearance of semaphores reassuring in a nostalgic
way but also deepy archaic. They really should no longer be there. The
same will become increasingly true of all lineside signals.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 8th 19, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

toRecliner wrote:
Marland wrote:

With the Underground gradually being reequipped with new signalling systems
and trains with in cab displays
are there going to be signals with LEDs to worry about in a few years.

Haven't those on five lines already gone? And, of course, the DLR never
had them.

Quite possibly, I don’t get to London as much as I used to and to quote
some lines from my album collection

Nothing seems the same.
Still you never see the change
From day to day.
No one notices the customs slip away.

GH

Old September 8th 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/09/2019 16:19, wrote:

Didnt you know you can't criticise TfL or any of its subsidiaries
on this
group since they're absolutely beyond reproach and any issues are
the fault of
the passenger.

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

bring back paper timetables

Indeed. And proper signals (semaphore would be nice, but colour light
signals with actual light bulbs would be ok.) LED signals are like LED
street lights, in other words HORRIBLE.

Right... because peering into the fog hoping to see a light every 100
yards that hasn't been obscured by a branch or stolen by scrotes is so
much better than having a monitor in the cab with the message
"Clear for 6.7km, 50kph TSR in 3.4km" written on it.

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

And stop talking in metric, last time I checked we used MILES in this
country. At least that's what's on the dial of every car speedometer
I've seen lately.

So when did you last buy fuel in gallons?

Most UK trams and light railways use km. For example, this is a
speedo on a Nottingham NET tram:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/47935957238/in/album-72157708767150101/lightbox/

Engineering went metric many decades ago. Nobody would dream of
engineering a new British car using imperial measurements. In fact, no
engineers still working would have any experience of anything but SI
units.

And why do you think car acceleration timings in the UK are quoted for
the 0-62.5mph range? They gave up on 0-60 long ago.

Old September 8th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

bring back paper timetables

And staffed switch boxes!
Old September 8th 19, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/09/2019 15:38, Recliner wrote:

And why do you think car acceleration timings in the UK are quoted for
the 0-62.5mph range? They gave up on 0-60 long ago.

What's so special about 28 m/s?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Bibio - 2016 - A Mineral Love

Old September 8th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

I disagree. How is someone working trackside supposed to know whether a
train is signalled or not..?

And stop talking in metric, last time I checked we used MILES in this
country. At least that's what's on the dial of every car speedometer
I've seen lately.

So when did you last buy fuel in gallons?

Most people, myself included, fill the tank regardless of the actual
quantity. Or I might put 20 quid in if I'm a bit short. But distances
are signposted in miles and fuel economy is still measured in miles per
gallon.

I will resist metrication till my dying day. Which given the state of
the country right now may not be far off.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 8th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

I disagree. How is someone working trackside supposed to know whether a
train is signalled or not..?

An app on their phone or iPad tells them. Various platforms have
signalling diagram monitors which provide this info to platform staff,
and no tungsten filaments were electrocuted in the making of this image.

I will resist metrication till my dying day.

I'm a Ukip member, and I'm laughing at you.