Old March 22nd 20, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line goes south

Edits pending

In message , at 15:10:55 on Thu, 12
Sep 2019, Marland remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:25:32 on Wed, 11 Sep
2019, Marland remarked:

My opinion, based on quite a lot of research, being: having earlier
specified mileages to various gateways like Marble Arch, the AA decided
for its maps to consolidate on Trafalgar Square. This has become a meme
about "Charing Cross" (the original one only having a plaque) and an
unspoken implication that it has always been the case (long before the
AA)

My mention of Ongar was done because it is an interesting Railway factoid
and also an example to our Aberdeen correspondent that the London Transport
they remember as an example tradition of the good old days initiated a
major Metrication exercise 40 years ago, it was from that you seem to have
decided that you want to hold a point scoring debate ,an activity you are
renowned for by mentioning the Post office datum which turns not to be the
only candidate

It's the original one, though (if you ignore the Romans). And the
Turnpikes used a range of gateways (not unlike the AA did originally,
perhaps they modelled themselves on those).

for distances too and from London .

At least the Ongar one can be verified

The Post Office one can be as well. The mystery about the Charing
Cross/AA one is that as far as I can tell no-one has ever been able to
expand on what it says on that fairly recent and vague plaque.

I think I'll do a FOI on Westminster City Council, and see what they
have to say.

That would be interesting, I wonder if the Ordnance survey has any
information anywhere.

GH

Old March 22nd 20, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/03/2020 09:27, Roland Perry wrote:
Edits pending

My opinion, based on quite a lot of research, being: having earlier
specified mileages to various gateways like Marble Arch, the AA decided
for its maps to consolidate on Trafalgar Square. This has become a meme
about "Charing Cross" (the original one only having a plaque) and an
unspoken implication that it has always been the case (long before the
AA)

The Post Office one can be as well. The mystery about the Charing
Cross/AA one is that as far as I can tell no-one has ever been able to
expand on what it says on that fairly recent and vague plaque.

I think I'll do a FOI on Westminster City Council, and see what they
have to say.

I don't understand what all the "mystery" is about.

The BBC website has a nice item on this which gives a perfectly
reasonable explanation of why a very distinctive landmark was at placed
this location and subsequently made a convenient choice as the "centre"
of London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml

What exactly are you trying to discover?

Old March 22nd 20, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:34:58 on Sun, 22 Mar
2020, MikeS remarked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/...aringcross_fea
ture.shtml

What exactly are you trying to discover?

Sorry for posting earlier (finger trouble, and nothing new added).

What I'm trying to discover is why the BBC and others are peddling this
old wife's tale, the details of which are discussed earlier in the
thread.