Old June 4th 20, 01:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New boarding on London's buses

In message , at 11:51:17 on Thu, 4 Jun 2020,
tim... remarked:

bad cases make poor laws

The meme is: *hard* cases make bad law,.

Old June 4th 20, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 04/06/2020 01:00, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/06/2020 17:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

Catalogue shopping (order lots, return those which don't fit/suit) was a
thing for many decades before the internet. I don't see why the
introduction of a computer screen into the process should make it any less
achievable.

It's achievable. Just time consuming, and something we don't have the
time to indulge in.

There is also a social aspect to retail shopping. Chatting to the
assistant/cashier is, to us, an enjoyable part of the experience.

I suspect that you're in a very small minority (of one?) in this group.
Most blokes regard shopping for clothes or shoes as slightly less fun than
refuelling the car, but at least it's less frequent.

Ok, well that's your view and I'm not saying you're not entitled to it.
But we don't have many friends and those people we meet out and about
form a part of our lives it's hard to lose.

With all honesty I can say I'm glad I'm not a bloke.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 4th 20, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:51:17 on Thu, 4 Jun 2020,
tim... remarked:

bad cases make poor laws

The meme is: *hard* cases make bad law,.

Yeah, the Poor Laws were something else.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply
Old June 4th 20, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote in message

wrote in message
On 02/06/2020 17:00, wrote:
On 2 Jun 2020 15:30:08 GMT
Jeremy Double wrote:
Recliner wrote:
David Jones wrote:
Robin wrote:

On 01/06/2020 14:39, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:07,
wrote:

Allowing individuals to decide for themselves means they are
forcing their decisions on other people. I'm fed up with the
lycras around here who've decided social distancing is
unnecessary.

But it's ok for you, the government and every other Tom, Dick or
Harry to force their decisions on us. You can't have it both ways.

And the next person who utters the appalling phrase "social
distancing" will get a slap. Why can't they just say keep your
distance..?

As with many such things "social distancing" started off as a term
of
art among public health professionals and leaked into general usage
from them - starting many years ago.

Plus "social distancing" arguably now conveys something more
specific
(in the UK, 2m) than "keeping your distance" which could more or
less
depending on context - eg when drivinh on a motorway rather more
than
2m*.

*or possibly not if you are an Audi driver

No. "Social distancing" allows one to be close to anyone of the same
housewhold, while at leasat 2m from anyoned else

In the UK. In most other countries, it's 1.5m or 1m, or 6' in the US.
The
WHO recommends at least 1m.

This article, looking at scientific studies, says the virus will be
passed
on more if the social distancing distance is reduced from 2m:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ould-double-if
-2-metre-rule-reduced-study-finds

Using that logic lets make the social distance 10m. No wait, lets make
it
100m! Or better yet lets just lock people up in their houses until
they're
given a booked date and time to come out and go shopping.

Life is full of compromises and if the government persist with this 2m
nonsense even against the advice of the WHO then they are going to
utterly kill
the economy of this country. Not just in retail, leisure and travel but
in
factories that can't operate efficiently - if at all - with 2m
distancing of
their employees.

I'm sure Bozo the Clown knows this but he's too in thrall to a bunch of
"experts" whose expertise seems to be based on little more than
suck-it-and-see
statistics.

OK. So we reduce the 2m distancing to 1m. This will increase the R
number a little. What are you going to restrict instead to compensate
and bring the R number back to what it would otherwise be?

all having to wear masks when on PT

Oh look my prediction comes true

Old June 5th 20, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 17:13:11 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
and bring the R number back to what it would otherwise be?

all having to wear masks when on PT

Oh look my prediction comes true

Good luck to them trying to enforce it.

Old June 5th 20, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , Recliner
writes

http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=80

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old June 5th 20, 08:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
Weren't changing rooms a dangerous innovation for ever-conservative M&S?

I can remember, perhaps 20 to 30 years ago, being pointed at a staff
staircase to try on some clothes in the Cambridge M&S.

--
Clive D.W. Feather