Old June 26th 20, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Near miss on Met

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 18:28:36 +0100
Peter Able wrote:
On 25/06/2020 17:40, Guy Gorton wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 16:19:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Guy Gorton wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 10:43:25 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Don't know if this has already been posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...unched-commute
-train-going-wrong-way-London-Tube-line-nearly-crashes.html

How on earth can this happen? Surely the chiltern driver knew what side

of the
line he was on? And why didn't the tripcocks work or have they been

removed
from that section of line now?

A lot of interesting history of the line at
http://www.metroland.org.uk/cheshamflyer/

I think that, thanks to the misleading Tube map, a lot of people wrongly
think that Amersham is the most distant LU destination, when it's actually
Chesham.

Certainly since the Met stopped going to Aylesbury. (Change loco from
electric to steam at Rickmansworth).

Guy Gorton

Which was well before the present majority were born !

I know it was probably only a threat, but how different it might be now
if the Chesham line had extended on to the LNWR.

IIRC Ongar used to be the tube station most distant from central london and
that only closed in 94.

Old June 26th 20, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guy Gorton wrote:
[...]

Yes. And, oddly enough, it's still the datum point for the whole LU
network.

Old June 26th 20, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nched-commuter
-train-going-wrong-way-London-Tube-line-nearly-crashes.html

How on earth can this happen? Surely the chiltern driver knew what side of the
line he was on? And why didn't the tripcocks work or have they been removed
from that section of line now?

A lot of interesting history of the line at
http://www.metroland.org.uk/cheshamflyer/

I think that, thanks to the misleading Tube map, a lot of people wrongly
think that Amersham is the most distant LU destination, when it's actually
Chesham.

Certainly since the Met stopped going to Aylesbury. (Change loco from
electric to steam at Rickmansworth).

Guy Gorton

Which was well before the present majority were born !

I know it was probably only a threat, but how different it might be now
if the Chesham line had extended on to the LNWR.

PA

The first 4 slides I ever took with the camera my father-in-law threw
at me 'cos he couldn't work it were of the last electric to steam
handover in 1961.
Extending to the LNWR would have been quite a geographical challenge
with both lines being in steep sided valleys. Lots of higher ground
between.

How long did the trains stop while the locos were swapped? Was it really
as little as four minutes?

It would probably take at least 20 today, if it were allowed at all. Can
you imagine them allowing the crew to be working on live fourth rail
tracks, with steam and dripping water all around?

The event I attended was well advertised and there were a lot of
railway buffs watching so it took quite a long time. It may even
have been a Special from Baker Street but I cannot remember.

Guy Gorton
Old June 26th 20, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

That was my first instinct, but from Clive's website I see that I was
wrong !

PA

Old June 26th 20, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guy Gorton wrote:
[...]

Never got further than Rickmansworth because of the damned restriction
they placed on the five-bob Twin Rovers. So I only saw the high-speed
loco changes.

What would HSE say about that process nowadays?

PA

Old June 26th 20, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Was it not the most distant station between 1961 and 1994?

Old June 27th 20, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It would probably take at least 20 today, if it were allowed at all. Can
you imagine them allowing the crew to be working on live fourth rail
tracks, with steam and dripping water all around?

I went to a Steam on the Met not THAT long ago. They dropped a piece
of old carpet over the centre rail when they went between for
coupling. They had no need to go anywhere near the third rail.
Old June 27th 20, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It would probably take at least 20 today, if it were allowed at all. Can
you imagine them allowing the crew to be working on live fourth rail
tracks, with steam and dripping water all around?

I went to a Steam on the Met not THAT long ago. They dropped a piece
of old carpet over the centre rail when they went between for
coupling. They had no need to go anywhere near the third rail.

Would a wet carpet provide effective insulation against 210V?

Old June 27th 20, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Unless I'm misreading http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/

Ongar to Bank: 37.77km - 0

37.77km from Chesham is just about Finchley Road

Of course, those as track kilometres, but Google Maps gives the direct
distances from the City of London as Chesham 42km, Ongar 31km.

PA (an engineer, not a cartographer!)