London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 01:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,620
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

On 11/08/2020 13:46, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:24:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 11/08/2020 08:48, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 18:39:31 +0100
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 10/08/2020 10:22,
wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:02:08 +0100
MikeS wrote:
On 10/08/2020 08:40,
wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the
facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

TfL's website lists 69 tube stations which it says still accept cash,
plus DLR and Overground.

Oyster cards can be bought and topped up at newsagents and other shops
all over the TfL area. I doubt they all refuse cash either.


Common sense says that the OP cannot be correct because it would be
impossible for anyone without a bank account to use London's buses.

Plenty of shops and cafes are not accepting cash or making it very difficult
to pay with it by making self serve machines card only and having to queue
for
the single assistant at the till, so what makes you think TfL give a damn?

Because TfL are required by the politicians to give a damn, and consider
the edge cases and goat herders.

It was politicians (I'm not sure whether it was Sadiq Squirt or Number 10)
that told them to stop accepting cash in imost of their stations in the first
place according to the member of staff I spoke to.

Cash is a known vector in the transmission of various diseases.


At least notes can be washed nowadays through the process known as
money-laundering. Would 60 degrees be sufficient :-)


No idea, the instructions are in Russian.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.


  #22   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 01:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,994
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

In message , at 11:52:08 on Tue, 11 Aug
2020, Graeme Wall remarked:

When did you last see a copper coin?


Does copper-plated count?

[As it happens, I have a piggy bank full of solid copper coins, so the
literal answer is "today"]
--
Roland Perry
  #23   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 02:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2017
Posts: 29
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

On 11/08/2020 13:46, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:24:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 11/08/2020 08:48, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 18:39:31 +0100
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 10/08/2020 10:22,
wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:02:08 +0100
MikeS wrote:
On 10/08/2020 08:40,
wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the
facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

TfL's website lists 69 tube stations which it says still accept cash,
plus DLR and Overground.

Oyster cards can be bought and topped up at newsagents and other shops
all over the TfL area. I doubt they all refuse cash either.


Common sense says that the OP cannot be correct because it would be
impossible for anyone without a bank account to use London's buses.

Plenty of shops and cafes are not accepting cash or making it very difficult
to pay with it by making self serve machines card only and having to queue
for
the single assistant at the till, so what makes you think TfL give a damn?

Because TfL are required by the politicians to give a damn, and consider
the edge cases and goat herders.

It was politicians (I'm not sure whether it was Sadiq Squirt or Number 10)
that told them to stop accepting cash in imost of their stations in the first
place according to the member of staff I spoke to.

Cash is a known vector in the transmission of various diseases.


At least notes can be washed nowadays through the process known as
money-laundering. Would 60 degrees be sufficient :-)

We could start a whole thread on "which degree to do".
  #24   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 03:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 316
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:11:57 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/08/2020 12:43, wrote:
When did you last see a copper coin?


Last time I handled a 2p piece which was only recently. And before you turn
your pedant mode to up 11 I know its copper plated but the germs don't know
that.


How many TfL ticket machines still accept 2p pieces?


From straw man to non sequitor. I can't wait to see what technique you're
going to employ next.

  #28   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 270
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:03:44 on
Tue, 11 Aug 2020, Scott remarked:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:58:30 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:04:09 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:40:56 on Mon, 10 Aug
2020,
remarked:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash.

Is that a subset of the TVMs perhaps not accepting cash for *any*
transaction?

No idea.

I asked one of the staff about this apparently "temporary" measure and
he said he doubts the facility will ever come back and I tend to
believe him. So thats another avenue of anonymity out the window.

Get yourself a pre-pay credit card, for example from a bureau
-de-change. That'll break the chain of traceability unless you are a
suspected terrorist on the run.

I'm not fussed enough, but thats not the point. Why is the cash option being
dropped? Any covid excuses are BS since the staff never need to physically
touch it, they just empty the bucket into something Securicor (or whoever)
take away.

A trader I knew said that once handling costs and pay-in charges are
taken into account, cash is more expensive to process than a debit
card.


It depends a lot on what sector the business is in. For example,
traditionally the card companies gave petrol stations very low
commission rates, because it accustomed the public to using cards.

If you are in the pub trade and need to pay your wholesale grocer in
cash when they deliver every morning (because your trade-credit rating
is pants), it might well make sense not to discourage cash.


One pub I used to frequent a decade ago, used to put the notes they took
into the cash machine in the pub to save having to pay it in to the bank
(the "pub staff do not have access to this machine" sign was a total lie).
I wonder how many of the notes just circulated from one side of the room to
the other and back for months on end...!


Anna Noyd-Dryver

  #29   Report Post  
Old August 11th 20, 07:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,620
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

On 11/08/2020 20:41, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:03:44 on
Tue, 11 Aug 2020, Scott remarked:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:58:30 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:04:09 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:40:56 on Mon, 10 Aug
2020,
remarked:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash.

Is that a subset of the TVMs perhaps not accepting cash for *any*
transaction?

No idea.

I asked one of the staff about this apparently "temporary" measure and
he said he doubts the facility will ever come back and I tend to
believe him. So thats another avenue of anonymity out the window.

Get yourself a pre-pay credit card, for example from a bureau
-de-change. That'll break the chain of traceability unless you are a
suspected terrorist on the run.

I'm not fussed enough, but thats not the point. Why is the cash option being
dropped? Any covid excuses are BS since the staff never need to physically
touch it, they just empty the bucket into something Securicor (or whoever)
take away.

A trader I knew said that once handling costs and pay-in charges are
taken into account, cash is more expensive to process than a debit
card.


It depends a lot on what sector the business is in. For example,
traditionally the card companies gave petrol stations very low
commission rates, because it accustomed the public to using cards.

If you are in the pub trade and need to pay your wholesale grocer in
cash when they deliver every morning (because your trade-credit rating
is pants), it might well make sense not to discourage cash.


One pub I used to frequent a decade ago, used to put the notes they took
into the cash machine in the pub to save having to pay it in to the bank
(the "pub staff do not have access to this machine" sign was a total lie).
I wonder how many of the notes just circulated from one side of the room to
the other and back for months on end...!


That, plus their share of he commission, was the reason that the
machines were so popular in pubs for a while. Also places like petrol
stations and various other small businesses.


--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #30   Report Post  
Old August 12th 20, 07:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 270
Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/08/2020 20:41, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:03:44 on
Tue, 11 Aug 2020, Scott remarked:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:58:30 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:04:09 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:40:56 on Mon, 10 Aug
2020,
remarked:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash.

Is that a subset of the TVMs perhaps not accepting cash for *any*
transaction?

No idea.

I asked one of the staff about this apparently "temporary" measure and
he said he doubts the facility will ever come back and I tend to
believe him. So thats another avenue of anonymity out the window.

Get yourself a pre-pay credit card, for example from a bureau
-de-change. That'll break the chain of traceability unless you are a
suspected terrorist on the run.

I'm not fussed enough, but thats not the point. Why is the cash option being
dropped? Any covid excuses are BS since the staff never need to physically
touch it, they just empty the bucket into something Securicor (or whoever)
take away.

A trader I knew said that once handling costs and pay-in charges are
taken into account, cash is more expensive to process than a debit
card.

It depends a lot on what sector the business is in. For example,
traditionally the card companies gave petrol stations very low
commission rates, because it accustomed the public to using cards.

If you are in the pub trade and need to pay your wholesale grocer in
cash when they deliver every morning (because your trade-credit rating
is pants), it might well make sense not to discourage cash.


One pub I used to frequent a decade ago, used to put the notes they took
into the cash machine in the pub to save having to pay it in to the bank
(the "pub staff do not have access to this machine" sign was a total lie).
I wonder how many of the notes just circulated from one side of the room to
the other and back for months on end...!


That, plus their share of he commission, was the reason that the
machines were so popular in pubs for a while. Also places like petrol
stations and various other small businesses.



"No we don't take cards, but there's a cash machine just there".

A couple of years ago I used one in a shop in the IoW which made the
classic dial-up-modem sound while it was saying "authorising" on the
screen!!


Anna Noyd-Dryver



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do 465s go north of Blackfriars any more? [email protected] London Transport 2 February 19th 19 06:07 PM
Charged more to cross London than Aberystwyth to London UPDATE John Salmon[_4_] London Transport 2 August 11th 10 10:42 PM
Any useful Oyster card FAQs? Clive Page London Transport 7 January 17th 06 05:39 PM
Route 12 - bendy bus? Any more routes? Fossil London Transport 14 November 14th 04 01:03 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017