London Banter

-   -   Crossrail 2 Cancelled (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17812-crossrail-2-cancelled.html)

Graeme Wall November 3rd 20 02:44 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

On 03/11/2020 14:54, wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:32:35 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 07:48:27 -0000, "tim..." wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-shelved-tran
sport-for-london-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565

I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.

Take the river bus.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] November 3rd 20 03:50 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

Recliner wrote:
[...]

Wrong side of the river plus it costs a fortune though I suppose they'd have
staff discounts.

Graeme Wall November 3rd 20 05:55 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

On 03/11/2020 16:50, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:44:25 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
Recliner wrote:
[...]

Easy enough to add a stop right side of the river.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

tim...[_2_] November 3rd 20 06:25 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter
numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's
funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

Yes, Crossrail 2 was off the agenda for quite a while, anyway.

Not mentioned in that story is that the mayor may also have to raise more
money for TfL through a precept on council taxes. This would be for the
Freedom Pass to continue.

Horary, my neighbours are going to have to pay more for me to travel free

TBH, I could live with it becoming bus (and tram) only. I only use the
train/tube at the margins of my travel. I suspect that this applies to the
vast majority of "necessary "users of the pass. Only the percentage who
still work and use it for travel to work would really notice this change.

(I guess you might be able to find a journey out in the sticks where there's
a point to point rail journey to nearest shopping centre, that doesn't have
a parallel bus)

tim

Basil Jet[_4_] November 3rd 20 08:31 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

wrote:

[...]

It's pretty near Royal Victoria DLR. Crossrail won't really help much.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
The Human League - 1981 - Dare

Recliner[_4_] November 3rd 20 08:36 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they'll need to get to Custom House for Crossrail.

[email protected] November 4th 20 07:32 AM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:36:32 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
It's pretty near Royal Victoria DLR. Crossrail won't really help much.

Yes, they'll need to get to Custom House for Crossrail.

Would still be quicker than taking the DLR to central London.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 4th 20 11:36 AM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
It's pretty near Royal Victoria DLR. Crossrail won't really help much.

Yes, they'll need to get to Custom House for Crossrail.

Would still be quicker than taking the DLR to central London.

Jubilee Line

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
The B-52's - 1989 - Cosmic Thing

Mike Bristow November 4th 20 01:24 PM

Crossrail 2 Cancelled

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
It's pretty near Royal Victoria DLR. Crossrail won't really help much.

Yes, they'll need to get to Custom House for Crossrail.

Would still be quicker than taking the DLR to central London.

The Crystal is almost equidistant from Canning Town and Custom
House, so the Jubilee is a good option today. It's about a ten
minute walk, I'd've thought.

--
Mike Bristow