London Banter

-   -   First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17831-first-two-hs2-tunnels-completed.html)

Recliner[_4_] January 27th 21 10:36 PM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

From
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hs2-protesters-dig-secret-100ft-tunnel-under-london-park-spcxnw65j

Protesters secretly constructed two tunnels supported by an elaborate “ant
nest” of passages without detection near the site of HS2, embarrassing the
security operation surrounding Britain’s biggest infrastructure project.

Climate campaigners protesting against the construction of the
multibillion-pound railway line spent months digging 100ft of passages and
chambers 15ft below Euston Square Gardens in north London.

They moved dirt from the two main tunnels, codenamed Crystal and Kelvin, to
the surface with buckets and hid it in the walls of their makeshift wooden
fort. The entrance is concealed from public view by the planks and
tarpaulin that form the main structure of the camp.

HS2 officials learnt about the tunnels early this morning after securing
temporary legal possession of the site from the landowners and sending in
about 100 bailiffs to evict dozens of activists living in treetops, tunnels
and the main compound.

A large number of activists were removed around 4.30am, prompting about
eight people to retreat underground with food, sleeping mats, battery packs
and juggling balls. The group sealed the entrance and vowed to continue
digging in an attempt to delay development as much as possible. The group
was led by the veteran activist Swampy, real name Daniel Hooper, who was
described by campaigners as a “master digger”.

Others fled to four tree houses, which they move between using zip lines.
However, most had been removed by bailiffs by about 2pm. Some who were
caught on the ground were dragged off the site.

Camden council, the former landowner, initially suggested it was not
responsible for failing to spot the tunnels, saying that ownership of the
site had been taken over by Network Rail. However, after Network Rail said
it was not responsible for managing the site, the council admitted it had
not noticed the digging during assessments of the camp.

A Camden Council spokesman said: “We were not aware these tunnels were
being built. Clearly the protesters have a responsibility themselves not to
act in ways which could endanger their lives.”

An HS2 spokeswoman said: “To ensure HS2 is able to deliver its major
benefits to the UK on time, certain works must take place at designated
times. HS2 has taken legal temporary possession of Euston Square Gardens
East in order to progress with works necessary for the construction of the
new Euston station.

“These protests are a danger to the safety of the protestors, our staff and
the general public, and put unnecessary strain on the emergency services
during a pandemic. The protesters are currently trespassing on land that is
legally possessed by HS2.”

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “We have only been involved
today in order to prevent breach of peace. Any questions regarding the
tunnels would need to be directed to the landowner and security firm.

“Six arrests have been made at the site of a protest in Euston Square
Gardens. One man was arrested for breach of the peace and a short time
later was de-arrested and released.

“A woman was arrested under the Trade Union and Labour Relations
(Consolidation) Act. One man was arrested under the Public Order Act, while
a further three men were arrested under the Health Protection (Coronavirus)
Regulations 2020. A police presence remains at the site to prevent further
potential breaches of the peace and to uphold Covid legislation.”

HS2 Rebellion, an alliance of activists who made the camp, spent months
burrowing “in secret” under the park.

“It’s not just one straight shaft down there, it’s like an ant nest with
lots of different routes,” one activist who dug 20ft of the tunnel said.
“The aim is to make it very complicated to delay the development as much as
possible. They are still digging now.”

The activists set up a Tree Protection Camp in the park in September after
warning that Euston Square Gardens would be replaced with a temporary taxi
rank before being sold off to developers.

“It will take them a week to get people down and out of the tunnels. The
guys in the trees are supplied with ‘squirrel food’ – canned food and nuts
– so they can stay up there for ages.”

The alliance of climate campaigners said that the tunnellers had worked
“around the clock” to create the tunnel network, which is codenamed Calvin,
and were prepared to occupy it “for as long as it takes to stop HS2”.

A spokesman said: “They believe they can hold out in the tunnel for several
weeks and hope in this time that a court will rule against HS2 for breaking
the law by attempting an eviction without a court order and during the
national coronavirus lockdown.”

… continues

Marland January 27th 21 11:29 PM

Recliner wrote:
[...]

One of these may be useful.

http://rodenator.eu

GH

[email protected] January 28th 21 10:49 AM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 22:36:54 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
From
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ft-tunnel-unde
r-london-park-spcxnw65j

Protesters secretly constructed two tunnels supported by an elaborate “ant
nest” of passages without detection near the site of HS2, embarrassing the
security operation surrounding Britain’s biggest infrastructure project.

Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

Roland Perry January 28th 21 11:11 AM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

In message , at 10:49:46 on Thu, 28 Jan
2021, remarked:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 22:36:54 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
From
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...cret-100ft-tun
nel-unde
r-london-park-spcxnw65j

Protesters secretly constructed two tunnels supported by an elaborate “ant
nest� of passages without detection near the site of HS2, embarrassing the
security operation surrounding Britain’s biggest infrastructure project.

Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think you'll find that these people mistakenly believe that their
attempts to sabotage the OOC-Euston part of HS2 will result in the
entire project being cancelled.

[email protected] January 28th 21 11:26 AM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:11:45 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:49:46 on Thu, 28 Jan
2021, remarked:
Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think you'll find that these people mistakenly believe that their
attempts to sabotage the OOC-Euston part of HS2 will result in the
entire project being cancelled.

They're not stupid and know that won't happen so I don't understand what
they're doing. If you're protesting in some woodland or about some trees
there's a reasonable chance you might have some effect and the route is
diverted slightly, its happened in the past with various road projects. But
nothing is going to stop construction at Euston so ... wtf?

Recliner[_4_] January 28th 21 11:35 AM

Recliner wrote:
From
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ft-tunnel-unde
r-london-park-spcxnw65j

Protesters secretly constructed two tunnels supported by an elaborate “ant
nest” of passages without detection near the site of HS2, embarrassing the
security operation surrounding Britain’s biggest infrastructure project.

Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think they just did it to attract attention. They won't have any effect
on HS2 construction, but they figured that they'd attract more journalists
and spectators to a site in central London than to a treehouse deep in the
countryside.

[email protected] January 28th 21 02:31 PM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

Recliner wrote:
From

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ft-tunnel-unde

r-london-park-spcxnw65j

Protesters secretly constructed two tunnels supported by an elaborate “ant

nest” of passages without detection near the site of HS2, embarrassing the

security operation surrounding Britain’s biggest infrastructure project.

Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think they just did it to attract attention. They won't have any effect
on HS2 construction, but they figured that they'd attract more journalists
and spectators to a site in central London than to a treehouse deep in the
countryside.

Yes, you're probably right.

Graeme Wall January 28th 21 05:17 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:49:46 on Thu, 28 Jan
2021,
remarked:
Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think you'll find that these people mistakenly believe that their
attempts to sabotage the OOC-Euston part of HS2 will result in the
entire project being cancelled.

They're not stupid and know that won't happen so I don't understand what
they're doing. If you're protesting in some woodland or about some trees
there's a reasonable chance you might have some effect and the route is
diverted slightly, its happened in the past with various road projects. But
nothing is going to stop construction at Euston so ... wtf?

It's all about self-publicity.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Sam Wilson[_2_] January 28th 21 08:53 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:49:46 on Thu, 28 Jan
2021,
remarked:
Of all the places to prevent HS2 construction happening, Euston would be
right at the bottom of my list. Ancient woodland I can understand but Euston
hasn't been a pleasent cityscape since the 1970s.

I think you'll find that these people mistakenly believe that their
attempts to sabotage the OOC-Euston part of HS2 will result in the
entire project being cancelled.

They're not stupid and know that won't happen so I don't understand what
they're doing. If you're protesting in some woodland or about some trees
there's a reasonable chance you might have some effect and the route is
diverted slightly, its happened in the past with various road projects. But
nothing is going to stop construction at Euston so ... wtf?

It's all about self-publicity.

They interviewed a protester on the radio and he made some fairly valid
points about woodland and reducing travel requirements but blew it all by
saying we already had a railway between London and Birmingham so we didn’t
need another one.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as

Spit the dummy to reply

[email protected] January 29th 21 09:23 AM

First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Possibly, but if that was the case why was it all hush hush until they were
rumbled? Unless they planned a big Ta-da! reveal at some point. To me it
seems they've expended all that effort digging tunnels for no gain
whatsoever - they'd have got far more publicity just blocking euston road
holding some placards for a morning.