Old March 31st 21, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tim goes Underground

On 31/03/2021 11:50, tim... wrote:

"MB" wrote

Must admit that it seems hard to justify yet another film about the
London Underground during Lockdown.

I think you mean:

Must admit that it seems hard to justify yet another film about the
London Underground

I'd watch programmes about the UndergrounD all day long, so no problems
here. I hope there's plenty more! :-)

Old March 31st 21, 11:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 31/03/2021 11:49, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

filming a TV show called
#SecretsOfTheLondonUnderground during a lockdown

How is that an essential service?

It's work which he can't do from home. I don't think there's been a point
at which non-essential *work* was forbidden (otherwise my friends who run a
mail-order wool company would have had to close, for example). Or do you
think all production of new TV programmes should have ceased for a year?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

(OT) Well .... I would be happy to see all soaps cease for 50 years. It
might give TV a chance to devise some new, original dramas instead of
bombarding us with endless variations on the same tedious stories......

Old March 31st 21, 11:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

filming a TV show called
#SecretsOfTheLondonUnderground during a lockdown

How is that an essential service?

It's work which he can't do from home. I don't think there's been a point
at which non-essential *work* was forbidden (otherwise my friends who run
mail-order wool company would have had to close, for example). Or do you
think all production of new TV programmes should have ceased for a year?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

(OT) Well .... I would be happy to see all soaps cease for 50 years. It
might give TV a chance to devise some new, original dramas instead of
bombarding us with endless variations on the same tedious stories......

is your TV missing an OFF button?

Old March 31st 21, 01:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 09:59:56 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 31/03/2021 09:53, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

filming a TV show called
#SecretsOfTheLondonUnderground during a lockdown

How is that an essential service?

It's work, which is allowed. In fact, reporters have been on duty
throughout the pandemic.

Reporting is an essential service.

The sort of reporting which scared the **** out of the gullible with the
covid hysteria should be banned, never mind be essential.

Old March 31st 21, 05:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

filming a TV show called
#SecretsOfTheLondonUnderground during a lockdown

How is that an essential service?

It's work which he can't do from home. I don't think there's been a
point
at which non-essential *work* was forbidden (otherwise my friends who
run a
mail-order wool company would have had to close, for example). Or do you
think all production of new TV programmes should have ceased for a year?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

(OT) Well .... I would be happy to see all soaps cease for 50 years.
It might give TV a chance to devise some new, original dramas instead
of bombarding us with endless variations on the same tedious
stories......

is your TV missing an OFF button?

No. It also has a channel change option. It is just that I wish there
were more options for original UK drama, instead of endless repetition
of things long past their sell-by dates.

Too many TV executives seem to take the lazy option of "more of the
same" rather than experimenting with "something different".

Old March 31st 21, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

Netflix has a lot of original drama content, though of course it requires a
subscription.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old March 31st 21, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

The soap operas get far more viewers than most original dramas. That's why
they don't go away.

Old March 31st 21, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

I find that hard to understand why. Must be a lot of people who like
doing / seeing the same things, time after time, year after year.
Personally I prefer "variability" of my entertainment (for want of a
better description).

Old March 31st 21, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

Like you, I've never watched them, but assume the fans find them some sort
of comfort blanket. I wonder, do characters in the soaps currently take all
the Covid precautions? Are the pubs closed, everyone wears masks, and
stays 2m apart?

I must admit that I enjoyed Heatbeat and The Bill, which weren't soaps, but
did get a bit soapy at times. The Bill, in particular, was sometimes run by
soap runners, who brought in ridiculous story lines, which I gather came
straight from the soaps.