Old April 13th 21, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default LO lines to be named

In message , at 16:07:36 on Mon, 12 Apr
2021, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 06:44:08 on Sun, 11 Apr 2021,
Roland Perry remarked:

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line
etc, but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

Odd you should mention that... this morning one of the Fen Line GN
trains was liveried "Gatwick Express". Which more different to the plain
livery than the straying GA Stansted Express ones (which are at least
the correct side of the river).

Apparently six GatEx 387s have been loaned to GN as temporary 365
replacements.

They are having shuffle, then, because we've not seen 365s on the Fen
line for a couple of years.

Continuing the theme, this afternoon they put a 700/717 (I was too far
away to tell) on an Electrostar diagram from Kings Cross to Ely.

The former, surely?

The train was billed as a GN, and they only have 717s. But Thameslink
runs 700's as far as Cambridge.

Old April 13th 21, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Could you see the end, or the length? Class 717s are too slow for mainline
duties.

Old April 13th 21, 09:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:48:23 -0000 (UTC)
Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 09:59:49 -0000 (UTC)
Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
If energy companies don't understand basic physics thats not my problem.
But then most of them believe they can send "green" electrons down the pipe

simply by you signing up with them so go figure.

Is everyone here really so dumb a to think that green electricity
generation and the national grid ought to work by making sure that green
electrons travel from the generator to your home? What was that about
basic physics?

I suggest you have another go at reading what I wrote.

I wasn’t referring directly to you, but to a general feeling in some of the
postings, too diffuse to respond to individually.

Its too late to back pedal now. Your "What was that about basic physics?"
comment was aimed directly at me because either you misunderstood what I was
saying or didn't even bother to read it.

Again no, it was just a convenient place in the thread to hang a comment.
It clearly backfired, but it was not intended personally.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply
Old April 13th 21, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/04/2021 09:01, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 07:05:11 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

No doubt you think energy companies need your advice as well:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...st-green-hydro
gen-plant-in-glasgow-8qjsscnl6?shareToken=51bc327aa4999e0edc07659fe907a 0eb

If energy companies don't understand basic physics thats not my problem.
But then most of them believe they can send "green" electrons down the pipe
simply by you signing up with them so go figure.

According to my electriconics lecturer mumblety-plus years ago, all
electrons are green anyway:

He explained valve theory as little green ball-bearings bouncing from
Cathode to Anode, an image that has stuck with me ever since.

Cathode ray tubes. Green. Of course!

Sam

Old April 13th 21, 09:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:31:44 on Tue, 13 Apr
2021, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

No, it was some way in the distance, and I was driving.

Class 717s are too slow for mainline duties.

That probably settles it - 717 max speed 85mph, and it's a 100mph
diagram. So a fleet swap.

Old April 13th 21, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am 11.04.2021 um 12:04 schrieb Recliner:
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:41:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:

Which is why H2 is mainly being considered for larger, heavier vehicles:
trains, trucks, long distance buses, large SUVs, perhaps even short range
airliners. It's not needed nor viable for ordinary cars.

Hummer have already built 2 large battery SUVs.

By 'built', you mean announced. They're 2023 models, with lots of details
as yet unknown.

And H2 trains makes no
bloody sense whatsoever - just electric the damn lines and if its too
expensive for overhead then they should recind that moronic rule about
no more 3rd rail and lay that instead.

https://www.railtech.com/rolling-stock/2020/05/20/future-of-mobility-what-is-known-about-hydrogen-trains-in-germany/

This pilot, like many, demonstrates technical feasability. It does not
even ask the question whether it's viable without a massive subsidy.

Old April 13th 21, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

https://www.railtech.com/rolling-sto...lity-what-is-k
nown-about-hydrogen-trains-in-germany/

This pilot, like many, demonstrates technical feasability. It does not
even ask the question whether it's viable without a massive subsidy.

Too many fuel cell demonstrators are nothing more than "Look! We can run this
using a fuel cell!". As if thats anything new. They never address the issue
of where the H2 is going to come from and whether its actually any greener than
simply using diesel.

Old April 14th 21, 09:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 11/04/2021 09:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
The various cable TV/internet companies, now all(?) under the Virgin
umbrella, laid new cable along the pavement of a decent proportion of the
country in the 1990s(?).

We don't have them here but I seem to remember reading a lot of
complaints about the mess they made of the pavements.

Old April 14th 21, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 11/04/2021 09:53, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Rather than laying a whole new cable, can't the existing cable supplying
every house be used?

Is there enough spare capacity in the cable for the extra load - the
house's load will have quite possibly increased since the electric
supply was originally connected.

Many people do not have a drive to park in when charging so the supply
is needed at the roadside or in a small car park and has to be one that
can be used by anyone.

Old April 14th 21, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 11/04/2021 11:44, Roland Perry wrote:
Rather than laying a whole new cable, can't the existing cable supplying
every house be used?

That's even deeper, and is typically about as thick as your arm and a
real pig to make connections to.

Surely a cable to a house is not that thick? The house supply is about
half an inch diameter.