London Banter

-   -   I.O.W reopening delayed. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17854-i-o-w-reopening-delayed.html)

[email protected] May 8th 21 03:42 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 08 May 2021 12:11:37 +0100
Mark Goodge wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:26:15 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2021 10:40:53 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is

Might I suggest that you follow the link and read the documents on the
other end of it, then. It might help you stop looking like an idiot.

They can claim what they like, but back when the JLE was being built the
safety case of platform doors was being pushed by LU in the media. Ventilation
didn't even get a mention.

, but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube.

It would be a little odd if nobody from TfL had ever been on the tube.

So Ellson works for TfL?

[email protected] May 8th 21 03:45 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:32:05 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
through the tunnel provides plenty of ventilation into the station. In fact
the doors actually prevent a lot of that leaving some station platforms
uncomfortable on hot days IME when I worked at Canary Wharf particularly
London Bridge.

The piston effect of the trains pumps hot air around the tunnels from one
station to another, great.

No, it pushes some of the hot air out of the station and draws some cold
air in. Next time you're at Holborn stand at the top of the escalators and
you'll see what I mean. No idea why the effect is so strong at that station,
perhaps fewer ventilation shafts.

If you visit very hot places like Singapore or Hong Kong you'll find that
almost every underground metro station has full-height platform edge doors
which completely isolate the air in the tunnels from the air in the

And LU doesn't. What does that tell you?

Used properly, it can be very effective.

No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 8th 21 05:05 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
[...]

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 8th 21 06:37 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Charles Ellson wrote:

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is

Might I suggest that you follow the link and read the documents on the
other end of it, then. It might help you stop looking like an idiot.

They can claim what they like, but back when the JLE was being built the
safety case of platform doors was being pushed by LU in the media. Ventilation
didn't even get a mention.

, but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube.

It would be a little odd if nobody from TfL had ever been on the tube.

So Ellson works for TfL?

Try doing what he suggested, Fudrick.

[email protected] May 8th 21 08:23 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
[...]

St. Petersburg, Tokyo, Brescia, Copenhagen, Paris Metro Lines 1 and 14
etc.

Recliner[_4_] May 9th 21 12:18 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:53:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
No!! Is it?? Who knew! Take a look at a map - its well south of the north
circular, never mind the M25 and on a very busy road.

It's also right next to a railway line, and it would have been easy to
establish at least a temporary connection for delivering the fleet. That
would have been much easier than using the usual Ruislip connection.

Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on
a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

In fact there was a link once but it was removed.

Not always and it also prevents the stock easily being taken to Neasden
for major overhauls.

Why would Victoria line stock be taken to the Jubilee and Met lines depot
at Neasden for overhauls?

Neasden is (or perhaps was) where all stock got major overhauls.

You're years out of date.

The other depots don't have all the equipment.

And nor does Neasden. It's just the Met and secondary Jubilee depot.

[email protected] May 9th 21 03:18 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 9 May 2021 00:18:30 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on

I suppose they could do it at 2 in the morning, but they certainly couldn't
do it in the day without seriously impacting the local mainline services.

a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

MrSpook_4Z@mr4xlbz2_bxdc5.gov May 9th 21 03:26 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 8 May 2021 17:05:19 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

Recliner[_4_] May 9th 21 03:35 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

Why would it have to close a track? And the Ruislip connection is also on

I suppose they could do it at 2 in the morning, but they certainly couldn't
do it in the day without seriously impacting the local mainline services.

a busy commuter and regional main line to Birmingham.

The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent
loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

[email protected] May 9th 21 03:46 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:35:42 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent

Hmm, an electrified suburban commuter service out of liverpool street that
serves large parts of north east london, hertforshire and essex vs a line
that meanders its way to High Wycombe passing through not many stations
on the way.... tricky.....

loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

Express trains on the wycombe line?

Recliner[_4_] May 9th 21 03:55 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:35:42 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent

Hmm, an electrified suburban commuter service out of liverpool street that
serves large parts of north east london, hertforshire and essex vs a line
that meanders its way to High Wycombe passing through not many stations
on the way.... tricky.....

loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

MrSpook_nl5dr@b_nmz330_bymc3zupjs.edu May 9th 21 04:20 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 9th 21 08:55 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 9th 21 08:55 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Certes May 9th 21 10:04 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Recliner[_4_] May 9th 21 10:29 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Aren't those now ECS, not parly? They're not shown on departure board at
West Ealing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/50568885808/in/album-72157716758978336/lightbox/

MrSpook_zL@voisg8xogca0_.eu May 10th 21 08:18 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 9 May 2021 20:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Oh ok, so there are different reasons for having the doors depending on
whether they're inside or outside and by inference you do apparently think
half height doors make a difference to ventilation. Got it, thanks for clearing
that up.

[email protected] May 10th 21 08:24 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of

engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!
Didn't know chiltern went to brum but looking at the 1:50 it takes to get
there I'm not surprised they don't bother advertising the service.

tim...[_2_] May 10th 21 09:23 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But they do

they focus on the much cheaper fares that you can get going that way

And in case you haven't noticed, starting at Padd requires a leisurely tour
going West, and it is a service that used to exist

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 10th 21 09:33 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Oh ok, so there are different reasons for having the doors depending on
whether they're inside or outside and by inference you do apparently think
half height doors make a difference to ventilation. Got it, thanks for clearing
that up.

Not at all. Whether an installation of PEDs is for safety, ventilation or
both depends on the individual network and location; clearly half-height
ones have no influence on ventilation and neither do outdoors installations
no matter what height - unless, I suppose, they allow an entirely enclosed
platform area to be airconditioned, whilst the trains are out in the rain
(I think I have experienced this in Taiwan, unfortunately my photographs
and memories aren't specific enough about the aircon-ness of the station
building).

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Recliner[_4_] May 10th 21 09:53 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of

engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

In terms of distance:

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

Didn't know chiltern went to brum but looking at the 1:50 it takes to get
there I'm not surprised they don't bother advertising the service.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

[email protected] May 10th 21 10:27 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Mon, 10 May 2021 09:53:05 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

Recliner[_4_] May 10th 21 10:44 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

With your F in geography, you obviously never discovered that Birmingham is
well to the west of London. The Chiltern route to it is more direct than
the Euston route.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Main_Line#/media/File:Chiltern_Main_Line.png

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

They don't need to. Not everyone shares your extreme degree of ignorance,
and many people prefer Marylebone and Moor Street to Euston and New Street,
plus the Chiltern trains are cheaper, more spacious and much more
comfortable. Not surprisingly, they're very popular.

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

You obviously failed to note my reference to loco-hauled express trains.
How many passengers do you think have seats over a large diesel engine in
these trains?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Main_Line#/media/File:68010_Chiltern_Railways_Hatton_Bank_19-08-15_(20628237900).jpg

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 10th 21 10:45 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:

Didn't know chiltern went to brum [...] I'm not surprised they don't
bother advertising the service.

It's their flagship loco-hauled service with plug-door Mk 3s, I don't know
where you get the idea that they try to hide it?

It's mentioned in their google 'summany' or whatever the correct term is,
on the front page of their website and in the drop-down menu of their
website.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 10th 21 10:45 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It's a good thing that the large diesel engine is in its own self-contained
vehicle at one end of the train, then.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Certes May 10th 21 10:59 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Some strange people even seem to enjoy sitting immediately behind it.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 10th 21 11:37 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:

If you say so. Personally I can do without the sound of a large diesel engine
under my seat for 2 hours but each to their own.

It's a good thing that the large diesel engine is in its own self-contained
vehicle at one end of the train, then.

Some strange people even seem to enjoy sitting immediately behind it.

What strange behaviour! *lol*

Anna Noyd-Dryver

tim...[_2_] May 10th 21 01:23 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!

With your F grade in geography, you probably also don't know that the
northbound line from Marylebone passes over the line from Euston at South
Hampstead. The former GCR line is headed almost directly due north, while
the former LNWR line is headed south west on its meandering route to
Birmingham. So the Euston route heads west first, while the Marylebone
route heads north first.

Yes, because I meant west immediately from the station obviously, not the
fact that it heads off via ruislip which is barely a few miles north of
marylebone albeit 15 miles west of it.

I see you're back in plank mode.

MYB-BMO: 111.56 miles.chains
EUS-BHM: 112.73 miles.chains

So the Marylebone routes is actually slightly shorter.

And? It takes longer.

because it's twin track that has to fit stopping services in between express
services, thus restricting the speed of those express services

Recliner[_4_] May 10th 21 03:58 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

They do flight the services, plus there are some overtaking opportunities
along the route. However, Chiltern does make some stops with its Main Line
services, as they're more of a regional service that serves towns along the
route, rather than being a non-stop London-Birmingham express.

Graeme Wall May 10th 21 04:04 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Castle hauled last time I did it! Only as far as High Wycombe though.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Guy Gorton[_3_] May 10th 21 04:07 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:45:21 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver

Didn't know chiltern went to brum [...] I'm not surprised they don't
bother advertising the service.

It's their flagship loco-hauled service with plug-door Mk 3s, I don't know
where you get the idea that they try to hide it?

It's mentioned in their google 'summany' or whatever the correct term is,
on the front page of their website and in the drop-down menu of their
website.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Comfortable, fast enough, Moor Street quite central. Easy walk to New
Street. Can avoid New Street if journeying further north by going on
to Smethwick to catch a northbound service.

Guy Gorton

tim...[_2_] May 10th 21 07:45 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of the via Reading services, probably have to go back to the
80s for these

They were there to serve the Reading to Brun corridor, but increased
frequency of trains from the South Coast saw them them being withdrawn

IIRC there was even an Edinburgh or Glasgow service from Padd via Reading

Graeme Wall May 10th 21 08:18 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was going back to the 60s :-)

They were there to serve the Reading to Brun corridor, but increased
frequency of trains from the South Coast saw them them being withdrawn

IIRC there was even an Edinburgh or Glasgow service from Padd via Reading

Don't remember those. I did Southampton - Reading - Edinburgh and return
by HST but that was an XC service of course.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

ColinR May 10th 21 09:38 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 21:18, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Of course,it was easier in early days:

Southampton dep 0733 through train to York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and
Glasgow weekdays.
Timetable I have is not clear as to return times.

OK, it was a while ago, in 1933 via the DN&S ;-)

(Oxford Publishing, ISBN 0-86093-149-8)

--
Colin

Sam Wilson[_2_] May 10th 21 09:46 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So what was the arrival time?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply

Certes May 10th 21 10:08 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Paddington-Birmingham via Oxford certainly lasted into the 80s, with
some trains continuing to Manchester, Liverpool, etc. and even one a
day via High Wycombe.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 10th 21 10:17 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The services into Paddington lasted until 2003
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_CrossCountry

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Graeme Wall May 11th 21 06:12 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

A little before my time.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Graeme Wall May 11th 21 06:16 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The Birmingham expresses were the last King-hauled and amongst the
earliest Class 52 hauled. I saw the first 25 of the latter almost
sequentially running through Beaconsfield as they entered traffic.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

ColinR May 11th 21 01:38 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 10/05/2021 20:45, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 10:23, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately the timetable only goes as far as Didcot with the
additional notation as footnote showing through service as above.

Many other DN&S timetables in the book, but only showing through
services to ex-GWR places such a Birmingham etc.

--
Colin