London Banter

-   -   I.O.W reopening delayed. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17854-i-o-w-reopening-delayed.html)

[email protected] May 1st 21 02:55 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 1 May 2021 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 1st 21 05:57 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Theo[_2_] May 1st 21 07:29 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

In uk.railway wrote:
The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

Wikipedia:

With the Jubilee Line Extension in mind, it was originally planned that the
1983 Stock would be heavily refurbished to run alongside the newer 1996
Stock that entered service on the Jubilee line in 1997; the plans included
replacing the single leaf doors with double doors to speed up passenger
boarding. The 1983 Stock was to be given similar interiors. This was
abandoned due to the cost being only 10% cheaper than re-equipping the line
entirely with the 1996 Stock. Then it was proposed for the 1983 Stock to be
added to the refurbished 1973 Stock on the Piccadilly line and serve the
Rayners Lane - Uxbridge section of the line. This was also abandoned on the
grounds of cost.

New car or refurb old banger for 90% of the cost? Your choice.

Theo

[email protected] May 1st 21 09:58 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

You've never heard of the SPV-2000, I'm guessing.

Recliner[_4_] May 1st 21 10:51 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

Given that it was based on the pretty successful D78, I wonder how they got
it so wrong?

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 2nd 21 06:58 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

You've never heard of the SPV-2000, I'm guessing.

I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

tim...[_2_] May 2nd 21 11:02 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

"Theo" wrote in message
In uk.railway wrote:
[...]

So, they were scrapped because someone ordered a fleet of vehicles with
single doors, for a lightly used line and then found there was nowhere else
to use them when loadings increased and they because unsuitable for use on
the original line.

That seems to be a cock up in procurement rather than
engineering/manufacturer

Christopher A. Lee[_2_] May 2nd 21 01:06 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On 01 May 2021 20:29:47 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

In uk.railway wrote:
[...]

Eh? Rayner's Lane to Uxbridge? Ot did I mis-read it?

[email protected] May 2nd 21 03:49 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old.

It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes

from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

Their only issue was single leaf doors. There was nothing wrong with them
mechanically.

MrSpook_q1@1en_296jz.org May 2nd 21 03:54 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Theo wrote:
In uk.railway wrote:
[...]

What cost, putting new line stickers in the vehicles? Sounds like an excuse.
There were a couple of them sitting at cockfosters for years mouldering away
then one week they vanished.

New car or refurb old banger for 90% of the cost? Your choice.

Its not just the financial cost, its the enviromental cost. Binning a few
thousand tons of train takes a large amount of energy to recycle all the
metal and no doubt the plastic and fabrics went to landfill. So in this
case I'd say refurb. Plus if they were going to run on the lightly used
uxbridge branch of the picc they wouldn't need anything done to them other
than a clean up.

Its the same excuse with the 373s, "Oh we can't find a buyer or use for them".
Well ****ing well try harder.

[email protected] May 2nd 21 03:59 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 1 May 2021 22:51:24 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old.

It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and

comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

Given that it was based on the pretty successful D78, I wonder how they got
it so wrong?

There was little wrong with them from a passengers POV. I travelled on them
and found them much more pleasent than the other tired tube offerings at the
time.

MrSpook_r09hqn@3_c.biz May 2nd 21 04:20 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sun, 2 May 2021 15:36:40 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Some other sources:

There were a number of plans for their reuse, one of which was to adapt
them for the Piccadilly Line, but a number of technical problems were
encountered, not least the matter of alignment of the doors with platforms

That doesn't make any sense - the picc doesn't have platform doors so what
are they supposed to align with?

and that the doors were of single leaf design, rather then the 73TS double
doors and that the doors were significantly slower in operation than the
73TS.

They changed the door motors in the 73 stock (not an improvement IMO but I'm
sure they had their reasons) so they could have done the same with the 83.

As well as various electrical/mechanical/structural problems, one of the
reasons for the downfall of the class was the mid-carriage single-leaf
doors, clearly seen here, which extended station dwell times due to the
time it took passengers to join and alight from the carriages through the
relatively narrow door openings.

Not an issue out in the sticks as a shuttle service. And if they were to
enhance the service in the centre rather than replace old 73 stock then
they'd still speed things up regardless of the doors because there'd be less
crush to get on each train. Failing that they could always have just used
them outside rush hour.

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 2nd 21 07:07 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Wouldn't the D stock have quite a bit in common with the 73TS?

D stock had rather more in common with 83ts.

The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old. It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

AIUI it was pretty much the Austin Allegro of tube stock. At what point do
you stop throwing good money after bad and admit that something wasn't very
good?

You've never heard of the SPV-2000, I'm guessing.

I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Some other sources:

There were a number of plans for their reuse, one of which was to adapt
them for the Piccadilly Line,

[snip woes of 83ts]

I was referring to the American single car DMU "SPV-2000", as referenced by
Hounslow above.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 2nd 21 07:22 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Some other sources:

There were a number of plans for their reuse, one of which was to adapt
them for the Piccadilly Line, but a number of technical problems were
encountered, not least the matter of alignment of the doors with platforms

That doesn't make any sense - the picc doesn't have platform doors so what
are they supposed to align with?

Future platform doors matched to later stock which wouldn't have
repeated the door pattern ?
The other door alignment problem could be the driver's ability to see
the ATO stopping mark; IIRC there was no view directly to the side of
the driver's seat on 1983TS.
snip

MrSpook__4xcfD9pmm@6yl_wqrz.net May 3rd 21 08:09 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Some other sources:

There were a number of plans for their reuse, one of which was to adapt
them for the Piccadilly Line, but a number of technical problems were
encountered, not least the matter of alignment of the doors with platforms

That doesn't make any sense - the picc doesn't have platform doors so what
are they supposed to align with?

Future platform doors matched to later stock which wouldn't have
repeated the door pattern ?

There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

The other door alignment problem could be the driver's ability to see
the ATO stopping mark; IIRC there was no view directly to the side of
the driver's seat on 1983TS.

Maybe, but thats hardly beyond the wit of man to solve.

Clive D.W. Feather May 3rd 21 04:14 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

In article , Recliner
writes
The 83 stock was scrapped when some of the vehicles were only 15 years old.

It
was a bloody scandal that no one seemed interested in. But as I've said
before, its easy to spend money with abandon when its not your own and

comes
from ticket receipts and central government.

When the trains were being designed, passenger levels on the tube were in
decline but levels picked up dramatically after the trains were built. The
single-leaf doors proved to be a problem for slow unloading and loading at
stations, the resulting increased dwell times causing numerous problems on
the line.

My understanding is that it wasn't that simple.

When the Jubilee opened, nearly all passengers were going from north of
Baker Street to south of it, or vice versa, or were changing at Baker
Street. That meant that the only station where there would be a
significant number of people boarding *and* a significant number
alighting was Baker Street itself. Therefore the single-leaf doors were
seen as reasonable since they kept the warmth in better in the (many)
open stations.

Once JLE opened, this passenger flow pattern would no longer apply and
the trains weren't suitable any more. As others have said, nobody could
find a good use for them at an economic price.

/me wonders if, today, Vivarail would have taken them.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

Recliner[_4_] May 3rd 21 08:31 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Recliner
writes
[...]

I very much doubt it: no room for diesel general sets or large traction
batteries under the floor, and completely unsuitable for NR lines. Also,
which railway would want LU Tube stock that wasn't good enough for LU? The
IoW had turned it down, too.

But why wasn't it used to replace the 72TS on the Bakerloo, just as it had
done on the Jubilee?

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 4th 21 12:46 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
I have now; Wikipedia unfortunately appears to be pretty light on detail
about what was wrong with them.

Some other sources:

There were a number of plans for their reuse, one of which was to adapt
them for the Piccadilly Line, but a number of technical problems were
encountered, not least the matter of alignment of the doors with platforms

That doesn't make any sense - the picc doesn't have platform doors so what
are they supposed to align with?

Future platform doors matched to later stock which wouldn't have
repeated the door pattern ?

There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

That won't stop the use of platform doors; it just requires a suitable
design.

The other door alignment problem could be the driver's ability to see
the ATO stopping mark; IIRC there was no view directly to the side of
the driver's seat on 1983TS.

Maybe, but thats hardly beyond the wit of man to solve.

Not if the place where you want to insert your window contains a
necessary structural component which would make it cheaper to build a
new vehicle.

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 4th 21 12:59 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:31:26 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Recliner
writes
[...]

Were there enough fit for use ? Reliability was a problem;
refurbishment cost for use on other lines was also not a lot cheaper
than simply buying new stock.

Recliner[_4_] May 4th 21 01:22 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:31:26 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Recliner
writes
[...]

Why would they have needed refurbishment to run on the Bakerloo? Just
change the line diagrams.

[email protected] May 4th 21 07:21 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

That won't stop the use of platform doors; it just requires a suitable
design.

Why spend the money on trivia when there are far better uses for it. Retro
fitting platform doors is probably a lot more expensive that designing them
in from the start. Plus a lot of victoria/edwardian tube platforms are quite
narrow and adding platform doors would make things even worse.

The other door alignment problem could be the driver's ability to see
the ATO stopping mark; IIRC there was no view directly to the side of
the driver's seat on 1983TS.

Maybe, but thats hardly beyond the wit of man to solve.

Not if the place where you want to insert your window contains a
necessary structural component which would make it cheaper to build a
new vehicle.

I doubt 1 window would influence structural integretary that much. They're
frame based, not monocoque.

Nigel Emery May 4th 21 09:33 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:

Given that it was based on the pretty successful D78, I wonder how they got
it so wrong?

I worked on Jubilee Line extension stock in a minor way! GKN Defence
(yes you read that right) were the UK company working with whichever
of the Japanese companies ( Kawasaki Heavy Industries I think) were up
against Metro-Cammell. Kawasaki had had a bad experience doing a
refurbishment project on the New York metro so didn't want to go there
again. lt was clear London Underground didn't want to split the new
build and the refurbishment contracts so our consortium priced the job
to make the new build look more attractive. As that's what happened we
assumed the others bidders had done the same. 30 years on finding a
separate company to undertake the refurbishment would be much easier
than it was in the early 90s. Had we have won the body shells would
have been made in Japan with fit out and commission at the Telford
site. A short test track next to our existing Fighting Vehicle test
track was planned. We didn't have a rail connection which seemed a bit
of a problem to me but at that time that was well above my pay grade!

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 5th 21 02:42 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

That won't stop the use of platform doors; it just requires a suitable
design.

Why spend the money on trivia when there are far better uses for it. Retro
fitting platform doors is probably a lot more expensive that designing them
in from the start. Plus a lot of victoria/edwardian tube platforms are quite
narrow and adding platform doors would make things even worse.

The doors aren't there for the convenience of the passengers.

The other door alignment problem could be the driver's ability to see
the ATO stopping mark; IIRC there was no view directly to the side of
the driver's seat on 1983TS.

Maybe, but thats hardly beyond the wit of man to solve.

Not if the place where you want to insert your window contains a
necessary structural component which would make it cheaper to build a
new vehicle.

I doubt 1 window would influence structural integretary that much. They're
frame based, not monocoque.

If you have a thick piece of frame then it will be thick for a reason
and you won't be wanting to bore holes through it.
However, having now found cab photos in :-
https://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/...1983tubeStock/
there is a side view from the driver's seat.

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 5th 21 02:49 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Tue, 4 May 2021 01:22:43 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:31:26 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Recliner
writes
[...]

And fix all the other problems which made them unwanted on the Jubilee
Line.

[email protected] May 5th 21 08:32 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

That won't stop the use of platform doors; it just requires a suitable
design.

Why spend the money on trivia when there are far better uses for it. Retro
fitting platform doors is probably a lot more expensive that designing them
in from the start. Plus a lot of victoria/edwardian tube platforms are quite
narrow and adding platform doors would make things even worse.

The doors aren't there for the convenience of the passengers.

The doors are meant to be a safety feature. I'm not sure a safety feature that
led to even more crush loading in a station would be signed off. In case
you hadn't noticed all the JLE stations have huge platform areas.

[email protected] May 5th 21 08:35 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Tue, 04 May 2021 22:33:51 +0100
Nigel Emery wrote:
than it was in the early 90s. Had we have won the body shells would
have been made in Japan

Good thing you didn't then.

site. A short test track next to our existing Fighting Vehicle test
track was planned. We didn't have a rail connection which seemed a bit
of a problem to me but at that time that was well above my pay grade!

Wasn't a problem for the 2009 stock that was idiotically made too big** to fit
on the piccadilly line so couldn't be taken to the victoria by rail and so
had to be bunged on the back of lorries to jam up north london roads
instead.

** Yet the design wastes huge amounts of space internally by pushing the seats
4 or 5 inches inwards from the windows with a ledge.

Nigel Emery May 5th 21 08:03 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Wed, 5 May 2021 08:35:13 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Good thing you didn't then.

No argument from me there! The irony was having at that point build
300 or so Warrior AVFs we'd have had no problem with the aluminium
welding!

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 7th 21 10:35 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
There are so many curved platforms on the picc I can't see them bothering
with platform doors.

That won't stop the use of platform doors; it just requires a suitable
design.

Why spend the money on trivia when there are far better uses for it. Retro
fitting platform doors is probably a lot more expensive that designing them
in from the start. Plus a lot of victoria/edwardian tube platforms are quite
narrow and adding platform doors would make things even worse.

The doors aren't there for the convenience of the passengers.

The doors are meant to be a safety feature. I'm not sure a safety feature that
led to even more crush loading in a station would be signed off. In case
you hadn't noticed all the JLE stations have huge platform areas.

Platform doors on the Underground are part of the environmental
control of more recent tube sections; increased safety is a secondary
benefit. In case you hadn't noticed, most Jubilee Line stations (tube
or surface including some stations on the Stratford extension) don't
have platform doors or unusually wide platforms.

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 7th 21 10:47 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Nigel Emery wrote:
than it was in the early 90s. Had we have won the body shells would
have been made in Japan

Good thing you didn't then.

site. A short test track next to our existing Fighting Vehicle test
track was planned. We didn't have a rail connection which seemed a bit
of a problem to me but at that time that was well above my pay grade!

Wasn't a problem for the 2009 stock that was idiotically made too big** to fit
on the piccadilly line

It was actually made to fit the Victoria Line.
snip

[email protected] May 8th 21 09:15 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
The doors are meant to be a safety feature. I'm not sure a safety feature that

led to even more crush loading in a station would be signed off. In case
you hadn't noticed all the JLE stations have huge platform areas.

Platform doors on the Underground are part of the environmental
control of more recent tube sections; increased safety is a secondary

Rubbish.

benefit. In case you hadn't noticed, most Jubilee Line stations (tube
or surface including some stations on the Stratford extension) don't
have platform doors or unusually wide platforms.

Wow, you think there might be a connection??

[email protected] May 8th 21 09:16 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Nigel Emery wrote:
than it was in the early 90s. Had we have won the body shells would
have been made in Japan

Good thing you didn't then.

site. A short test track next to our existing Fighting Vehicle test
track was planned. We didn't have a rail connection which seemed a bit
of a problem to me but at that time that was well above my pay grade!

Wasn't a problem for the 2009 stock that was idiotically made too big** to fit

on the piccadilly line

It was actually made to fit the Victoria Line.
snip

You are really full of amazing facts today.

Yes, we know that, but in doing so it has to be taken to the line by road
not rail. If they had used the extra space inside the train it might have
been worth it, but they wasted so much of it that there's no more room than
in any other stock.

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 8th 21 09:40 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
The doors are meant to be a safety feature. I'm not sure a safety feature that

led to even more crush loading in a station would be signed off. In case
you hadn't noticed all the JLE stations have huge platform areas.

Platform doors on the Underground are part of the environmental
control of more recent tube sections; increased safety is a secondary

Rubbish.

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

Charles Ellson[_3_] May 8th 21 09:44 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Nigel Emery wrote:
than it was in the early 90s. Had we have won the body shells would
have been made in Japan

Good thing you didn't then.

site. A short test track next to our existing Fighting Vehicle test
track was planned. We didn't have a rail connection which seemed a bit
of a problem to me but at that time that was well above my pay grade!

Wasn't a problem for the 2009 stock that was idiotically made too big** to fit

on the piccadilly line

It was actually made to fit the Victoria Line.
snip

You are really full of amazing facts today.

Yes, we know that, but in doing so it has to be taken to the line by road
not rail. If they had used the extra space inside the train it might have
been worth it, but they wasted so much of it that there's no more room than
in any other stock.

You seem to have missed
1)The presence of a maintenance depot at Northumberland Park.
2)The use of road transport for moving stock to/from LU depots on
other Underground lines.

[email protected] May 8th 21 10:26 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
The doors are meant to be a safety feature. I'm not sure a safety feature

that

led to even more crush loading in a station would be signed off. In case
you hadn't noticed all the JLE stations have huge platform areas.

Platform doors on the Underground are part of the environmental
control of more recent tube sections; increased safety is a secondary

Rubbish.

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is , but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube. The piston effect of the train pulling and pushing air
through the tunnel provides plenty of ventilation into the station. In fact
the doors actually prevent a lot of that leaving some station platforms
uncomfortable on hot days IME when I worked at Canary Wharf particularly
London Bridge.

[email protected] May 8th 21 10:27 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
Yes, we know that, but in doing so it has to be taken to the line by road
not rail. If they had used the extra space inside the train it might have
been worth it, but they wasted so much of it that there's no more room than
in any other stock.

You seem to have missed
1)The presence of a maintenance depot at Northumberland Park.

No!! Is it?? Who knew! Take a look at a map - its well south of the north
circular, never mind the M25 and on a very busy road.

2)The use of road transport for moving stock to/from LU depots on
other Underground lines.

Not always and it also prevents the stock easily being taken to Neasden
for major overhauls.

Recliner[_4_] May 8th 21 10:53 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
Yes, we know that, but in doing so it has to be taken to the line by road
not rail. If they had used the extra space inside the train it might have
been worth it, but they wasted so much of it that there's no more room than
in any other stock.

You seem to have missed
1)The presence of a maintenance depot at Northumberland Park.

No!! Is it?? Who knew! Take a look at a map - its well south of the north
circular, never mind the M25 and on a very busy road.

It's also right next to a railway line, and it would have been easy to
establish at least a temporary connection for delivering the fleet. That
would have been much easier than using the usual Ruislip connection.

2)The use of road transport for moving stock to/from LU depots on
other Underground lines.

Not always and it also prevents the stock easily being taken to Neasden
for major overhauls.

Why would Victoria line stock be taken to the Jubilee and Met lines depot
at Neasden for overhauls?

Mark Goodge May 8th 21 11:11 AM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

Charles Ellson wrote:

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is

Might I suggest that you follow the link and read the documents on the
other end of it, then. It might help you stop looking like an idiot.

, but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube.

It would be a little odd if nobody from TfL had ever been on the tube.

Mark

Anna Noyd-Dryver May 8th 21 12:32 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:

Rubbish.

Rubbish yourself.
"one of the main reasons (and justifications) for having
PEDs is for ventilation although of course they do have the obvious
benefit of preventing people from falling onto the track."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...m_screen_doors

No idea what that site is ,

It's the official site where Freedom Of Information (FOI) requests are
handled.

but clearly neither them nor you have ever
been on the tube. The piston effect of the train pulling and pushing air
through the tunnel provides plenty of ventilation into the station. In fact
the doors actually prevent a lot of that leaving some station platforms
uncomfortable on hot days IME when I worked at Canary Wharf particularly
London Bridge.

The piston effect of the trains pumps hot air around the tunnels from one
station to another, great.

If you visit very hot places like Singapore or Hong Kong you'll find that
almost every underground metro station has full-height platform edge doors
which completely isolate the air in the tunnels from the air in the
platforms. You can then have air-conditioned trains and platforms (both
nice and cool); as you step from train to platform or vv. you can feel a
layer of very hot tunnel air as you step through it (like those heaters
above shop doorways which used to be popular).

Used properly, it can be very effective.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

MrSpook_pnvqz9@yy_20dc9ex.info May 8th 21 03:40 PM

I.O.W reopening delayed.

On Sat, 8 May 2021 10:53:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
No!! Is it?? Who knew! Take a look at a map - its well south of the north
circular, never mind the M25 and on a very busy road.

It's also right next to a railway line, and it would have been easy to
establish at least a temporary connection for delivering the fleet. That
would have been much easier than using the usual Ruislip connection.

Yes, I'm sure network rail would jump at the chance to close a track on a
main commuter line to link up to the depot in order for LU to get their
trains.

In fact there was a link once but it was removed.

Not always and it also prevents the stock easily being taken to Neasden
for major overhauls.

Why would Victoria line stock be taken to the Jubilee and Met lines depot
at Neasden for overhauls?

Neasden is (or perhaps was) where all stock got major overhauls. The other
depots don't have all the equipment.