Old May 30th 21, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Barking Reach

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a
viaduct. They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while
that would create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too
much of a problem for cut and cover.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2020 - Pain Olympics - Crack Cloud

Old May 30th 21, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a
viaduct. They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while
that would create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too
much of a problem for cut and cover.

It would still be in danger of flooding.

Old May 31st 21, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/05/2021 00:20, Basil Jet wrote:

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a
viaduct. They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while
that would create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too
much of a problem for cut and cover.

If you mean "the plan here is for the A13 dual carriageway to be moved
underground to make space for new housing" I don't think that's new or
firm. The 2 boroughs have lobbied for it for some years. They claimed
they have TfL's support in principle. But last I heard was their
seeking funding in the 2020 spending review for £m5 for detailed
planning. So a long way off a firm, fund project.

--
Robin
Old May 31st 21, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 31 May 2021 08:27:29 +0100
Robin wrote:
On 31/05/2021 00:20, Basil Jet wrote:

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a
viaduct. They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while
that would create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too
much of a problem for cut and cover.

If you mean "the plan here is for the A13 dual carriageway to be moved
underground to make space for new housing" I don't think that's new or
firm. The 2 boroughs have lobbied for it for some years. They claimed
they have TfL's support in principle. But last I heard was their
seeking funding in the 2020 spending review for £m5 for detailed
planning. So a long way off a firm, fund project.

Given that one of the benefits of brexit is that 1.3 million EU migrants
have cleared off there seems to be a lot of debate in the papers about
whether all this new housing is required now.

Old May 31st 21, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a viaduct.
They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while that would
create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too much of a
problem for cut and cover.

I find it incredible that someone thinks that putting a restricted access
highway in a tunnel is a cost effective way of releasing land for housing

if it was every restricted access road in London could be so re-sited.

But I don't see anyone suggesting that we do this with other roads.

Or even with us putting railways in tunnels so that they can be built on top
of

Old May 31st 21, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin wrote:
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong

Not one of Boris's smartest decisions, but hopefully most of them will
go to Singapore, Aus or somewhere else closer in distance and culture to HK
than the UK. So far there doesn't seem to be a mass exodus anyway.

Old June 5th 21, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a viaduct.
They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while that would
create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too much of a
problem for cut and cover.

I find it incredible that someone thinks that putting a restricted access
highway in a tunnel is a cost effective way of releasing land for housing

if it was every restricted access road in London could be so re-sited.

But I don't see anyone suggesting that we do this with other roads.

Or even with us putting railways in tunnels so that they can be built on top
of

Gerrard's Cross?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old June 6th 21, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:08:07 on Sat, 5 Jun 2021,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

According to the new Modern Railways, the existing A13 is going to be
buried as it goes near Barking Reach to create room for more housing.
Meanwhile, the entire new railway to Barking Reach is built on a viaduct.
They say that the water table is pretty high there, but while that would
create problems for tunnelling, I don't think it would be too much of a
problem for cut and cover.

I find it incredible that someone thinks that putting a restricted access
highway in a tunnel is a cost effective way of releasing land for housing

if it was every restricted access road in London could be so re-sited.

But I don't see anyone suggesting that we do this with other roads.

Or even with us putting railways in tunnels so that they can be built on top
of

Gerrard's Cross?

Several London stations, of which Victoria and Liverpool St are probably
the best known. Birmingham New St?
Old June 6th 21, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

[...]

Dalston Junction has a 10-ish story block of flats on top of it now along with
a lot of other housing.