Old June 15th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster and oneday Travelcards -- when?

Hi all

I'm now using the tube and buses on an infrequent enough basis that I don't really need a period travelcard. However, often on a daily basis a one-day would
be cheaper. I was told that Oyster pre-pay would do this automatically, but it doesn't, and I was then told the feature would be activated 'in June'. Any
word from those in the know here if/when this will actually happen?

Thanks

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

Old June 15th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:

Hi all

I'm now using the tube and buses on an infrequent enough basis that I
don't really need a period travelcard. However, often on a daily basis a
one-day would be cheaper. I was told that Oyster pre-pay would do this
automatically, but it doesn't, and I was then told the feature would be
activated 'in June'. Any word from those in the know here if/when this
will actually happen?

Oyster is a total waste of time and money. I sent mine back long ago and got
my £3 back eventually*. What's the point of Oyster when you can't top up
online the same day - you have to spend money to get to a station that has
a ticket desk; you can't see your usage online, you have to spend money to
go somewhere that has a ticket desk; you can't use off-peak 1-4 or 2-6 one
day travelcards (which account for pretty much all my usage), instead,
ending up getting a paper ticket.

*and that's another thing - why was I penalised £3 just to carry around this
useless card for a while? Why not take a leaf out of the cellular industry
and include a few pounds of pre-pay on the card for the "fee", as you'd get
if you bought a sim? Typical of a money-grabbing transport system with an
unrealistically overpriced fat-cat fare structure. This is why there's no
industry or jobs in London any more - every time one goes out of the house
it costs a flaming fortune.

--
Ian Tindale
Old June 15th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Tindale typed

Oyster is a total waste of time and money.

I disagree. It *can* save you money (especially on weekend Tube fares)
but you *really* have to know what your travelling pattern is likely to
be are work out the fares first.

I sent mine back long ago and got
my £3 back eventually*. What's the point of Oyster when you can't top up
online the same day

That's a nuisance but you can either:
always keep some credit on your card or
top up at a sweet shop (aka Ticket Point) near your home.

- you have to spend money to get to a station that has
a ticket desk; you can't see your usage online, you have to spend money to
go somewhere that has a ticket desk; you can't use off-peak 1-4 or 2-6 one
day travelcards (which account for pretty much all my usage), instead,
ending up getting a paper ticket.

Much of my Tube usage is also with this sort of (paper) Travelcard. I
try to purchase them in advance. I have a Bus Pass anyway. Oyster is
often cheaper than a Travelcard at weekends though.

*and that's another thing - why was I penalised £3 just to carry
around this
useless card for a while? Why not take a leaf out of the cellular industry
and include a few pounds of pre-pay on the card for the "fee", as you'd get
if you bought a sim?

Wot, like £1 calling credit on a £29.99 sim from Orange????

Typical of a money-grabbing transport system with an
unrealistically overpriced fat-cat fare structure. This is why there's no
industry or jobs in London any more - every time one goes out of the house
it costs a flaming fortune.

It's not too bad if you know how to play the system...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 15th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:32:09 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Ian Tindale typed

Oyster is a total waste of time and money.

I disagree. It *can* save you money (especially on weekend Tube fares)
but you *really* have to know what your travelling pattern is likely to
be are work out the fares first.

ok, but I don't know what my travel patterns are in advance each day. So I want the convenience of turn-up-and-go and i do not want to pay over the odds if I can help it. Today feels like the sort of day I'm going to get stung; I've done three bus journeys and a short hop on the tube already (and a river boat journey as well!). Somedays I dont' use public transport at all.

Wot, like £1 calling credit on a £29.99 sim from Orange????

Virgin SIMs used to cost a tenner and have a tenners credit. No idea if they still do...

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r
Old June 15th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Ian Tindale typed

Oyster is a total waste of time and money.

I disagree. It *can* save you money (especially on weekend Tube fares)
but you *really* have to know what your travelling pattern is likely to
be are work out the fares first.

In the long term, I think Oyster can and will be great. Useable, rapid and
eco-friendly, and always offering the best possible value to the traveller.

But that day is still some way off.

Capping needs to be introduced, and it needs to be smart and effective. The
£90/50 Prepay limit needs to be abolished and the 'nominate a specific
station to pick up your credit' thing must go. Also, a Non-prepay
Pay-as-you-go that bills your credit/debit card would also be far better
than having to add value to the card periodically.

BTN

Old June 15th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:38:10 +0100, Ian Tindale wrote:

Typical of a money-grabbing transport system with an
unrealistically overpriced fat-cat fare structure. This is why there's no
industry or jobs in London any more - every time one goes out of the house
it costs a flaming fortune.

So I assume the transport system is shutting up shop tomorrow as there
is no industry in London and no jobs? What a stupid thing to say. You
might not like Oyster - that's fine but don't make stupid comments to
over inflate your position.

I presume you have now purchased a mega cheap car, insured it, filled it
full of nice cheap petrol and have set money aside for the maintenance
and repair costs? Happy travels.
--
Paul C

Old June 15th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ben Nunn wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Ian Tindale typed
Oyster is a total waste of time and money.

I disagree. It *can* save you money (especially on weekend Tube fares)
but you *really* have to know what your travelling pattern is likely to
be are work out the fares first.

In the long term, I think Oyster can and will be great. Useable, rapid and
eco-friendly, and always offering the best possible value to the traveller.

But that day is still some way off.

Capping needs to be introduced, and it needs to be smart and effective. The
£90/50 Prepay limit needs to be abolished and the 'nominate a specific
station to pick up your credit' thing must go. Also, a Non-prepay
Pay-as-you-go that bills your credit/debit card would also be far better
than having to add value to the card periodically.

BTN

I'm not 100% sure on the technology but AIUI the value is stored on the
card itself, to avoid problems with buses which cannot reliably contact
a network on demand. So therefore it isn't possible to update an Oyster
with prepay unless you do it at a networked terminal, such as an LU
ticket machine, ticket agent or ticket gate. I'm sure someone will be
along to correct any of this if required.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 15th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

This is why there's no
industry or jobs in London any more - every time one goes out of the house
it costs a flaming fortune.

That must be why all the trains run empty, and the streets are all
deserted?
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 15th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:38:10 +0100, Ian Tindale wrote:

Typical of a money-grabbing transport system with an
unrealistically overpriced fat-cat fare structure. This is why there's no
industry or jobs in London any more - every time one goes out of the house
it costs a flaming fortune.

So I assume the transport system is shutting up shop tomorrow as there
is no industry in London and no jobs? What a stupid thing to say. You
might not like Oyster - that's fine but don't make stupid comments to
over inflate your position.

I presume you have now purchased a mega cheap car, insured it, filled it
full of nice cheap petrol and have set money aside for the maintenance
and repair costs? Happy travels.

Of course not. I am not a murderer. I don't have anything to do with cars,
and I don't like to be accused of killing people slowly and sometimes
quickly as do all other arrogant selfish moronic car drivers. I hate cars
and car drivers. All of those items would cost far more than can be
afforded anyway. The current cost of a travelcard usually entails borrowing
enough to cover it as it is, but from time to time this is achievable.
Where on earth do you think the money that covers the cost of driving
lessons, numerous tests after tests until somehow a pass is obtained, the
capital cost of a car, the poisonous fuel, the other complicated costs that
go with it is suddenly going to appear from? There is none.
--
Ian Tindale
Old June 15th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Tindale wrote the following in:

*and that's another thing - why was I penalised £3 just to carry
around this useless card for a while?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's because pyster will let you
through the gates with no money and leave you with a negative balance
at the other end. If there was no deposit for getting a card, people
could get an Oyster, go through the gates, chuck it away with the
negative balance and then get another Oyster for getting back home.

--
message by Robin May-Silk and my close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.