London Banter

-   -   Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1865-everything-we-know-about-traffic.html)

Dave Larrington July 20th 04 10:16 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Steph Peters wrote:

Another consideration is that Autobahn speed limits are perceived to
be actively enforced. One of my German friends was caught by a camera
exceeding a limit, fined and is apparently at risk of losing her
licence for a repeat offence. Everyone else's view on her being
caught was that it is a totally routine event and caused no surprise.
In contrast, although I have UK acquaintances who have been caught
speeding, I can't remember any caught on a motorway, although I know
a lot more UK motorists than German ones.

They certainly seem to be more rather more conscientious about obeying the
limit on the restricted bits. Notably at roadworks.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Annabel Smyth July 20th 04 12:01 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 at 11:14:43, Dave Larrington wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The idea that Belgian drivers are in some way constrained by speed
limits is an amusing one, though :-)

They don't have much truck with the notion of leaving clear space between
themselves and the vehicle in front either. Whenever I have cause to drive
there, I try to do so at night.

Last time we drove through Belgium was in a snowstorm last October. Fun
- not! Oddly, my brother was also driving (in the opposite direction)
through the same storm....

Actually, the thing I hate about the Belgian motorway we use most often
is that it is even duller than the M1, if that is possible!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 18 July 2004

Annabel Smyth July 20th 04 12:03 PM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 at 11:16:31, Dave Larrington wrote:

They certainly seem to be more rather more conscientious about obeying the
limit on the restricted bits. Notably at roadworks.

Yes, when we drove down to near Salzburg via Cologne the other year, we
commented that it would be nice to drive at 130 kph on the German
motorways. Unfortunately, it was either raining, or there were
road-works, or both, and I don't think we got as high as 130 kph all
day! Then there was a crash just past Munich, which delayed us even
further....

Roos Eisma July 20th 04 12:13 PM

Annabel Smyth writes:

Actually, the thing I hate about the Belgian motorway we use most often
is that it is even duller than the M1, if that is possible!

On our trips they usually provided entertainment by removing stretches of
top surface without anything like a 'ramp' sign....

Roos

Annabel Smyth July 20th 04 02:35 PM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 at 12:13:54, Roos Eisma wrote:

Annabel Smyth writes:

Actually, the thing I hate about the Belgian motorway we use most often
is that it is even duller than the M1, if that is possible!

On our trips they usually provided entertainment by removing stretches of
top surface without anything like a 'ramp' sign....

No, but they do do those large Xes in red plastic tape.....