London Banter

-   -   Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1865-everything-we-know-about-traffic.html)

Marc Brett June 18th 04 08:29 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/06/18/everything_we_know_a.html

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to the
received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that the
separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

"The more you post the evidence of legislative control, such as
traffic signs, the less the driver is trying to use his or her own
senses," says Hamilton-Baillie, noting he has a habit of walking
randomly across roads -- much to his wife's consternation. "So the
less you can advertise the presence of the state in terms of
authority, the more effective this approach can be." This, of course,
is the exact opposite of the "Triple E" traffic-calming approach,
which seeks to control the driver through the use of speed bumps,
photo radar, crosswalks and other engineering and enforcement
mechanisms.

The "self-reading street" has its roots in the Dutch "woonerf" design
principles that emerged in the 1970s. Blurring the boundary between
street and sidewalk, woonerfs combine innovative paving, landscaping
and other urban designs to allow for the integration of multiple
functions in a single street, so that pedestrians, cyclists and
children playing share the road with slow-moving cars. The pilot
projects were so successful in fostering better urban environments
that the ideas spread rapidly to Belgium, France, Denmark and Germany.
In 1998, the British government adopted a "Home Zones" initiative --
the woonerf equivalent -- as part of its national transportation
policy.

"What the early woonerf principles realized," says Hamilton-Baillie,
"was that there was a two-way interaction between people and traffic.
It was a vicious or, rather, a virtuous circle: The busier the streets
are, the safer they become. So once you drive people off the street,
they become less safe."

Salon Link (Reg/Ads Req'd) (via Kottke)

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/05/20/traffic_design/

Why don't we do it in the road?

A new school of traffic design says we should get rid of stop signs
and red lights and let cars, bikes and people mingle together. It
sounds insane, but it works.

May 20, 2004 | It's rush hour, and I am standing at the corner of
Zhuhui and Renmin Road, a four-lane intersection in Suzhou, China.
Ignoring the red light, a couple of taxis and a dozen bicycles are
headed straight for a huge mass of cyclists, cars, pedicabs and mopeds
that are turning left in front of me. Cringing, I anticipate a
collision. Like a flock of migrating birds, however, the mass changes
formation. A space opens up, the taxis and bicycles move in, and
hundreds of commuters continue down the street, unperturbed and
fatality free.

In Suzhou, the traffic rules are simple. "There are no rules," as one
local told me. A city of 2.2 million people, Suzhou has 500,000 cars
and 900,000 bicycles, not to mention hundreds of pedicabs, mopeds and
assorted, quainter forms of transportation. Drivers of all modes pay
little attention to the few traffic signals and weave wildly from one
side of the street to another. Defying survival instincts, pedestrians
have to barge between oncoming cars to cross the roads.

But here's the catch: During the 10 days I spent in Suzhou last fall,
I didn't see a single accident. Really, not a single one. Nor was
there any of the road rage one might expect given the anarchy that
passes for traffic policy. And despite the obvious advantages that
accrue to cars because of their size, no single transportation mode
dominates the streets. On the contrary, the urban arterials are a
communal mix of automobiles, cyclists, pedestrians, and small
businesses such as inner-tube repairmen that set up shop directly in
the right-of-way.

[...]

Just zis Guy, you know? June 18th 04 09:20 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:29:44 +0100, Marc Brett
wrote in message
:

Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to the
received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that the
separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

Now that really /is/ new. Unless you've read JS Dean's 1946 book
"Murder Most Foul". Or Bob Davis' "Death On The Streets". Or Mayer
Hillman's "One False Move".

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Off June 18th 04 09:41 PM

Marc Brett wrote:
The pilot
projects were so successful in fostering better urban environments
that the ideas spread rapidly to Belgium, France

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

Tony Raven June 18th 04 09:46 PM

David Off wrote:

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

They calm their drivers with a bottle of vin rouge ;-)

Tony

Nathaniel Porter June 18th 04 10:01 PM

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Off wrote:

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

They calm their drivers with a bottle of vin rouge ;-)

Tony

This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery channel once.

Bascially, they took one one driver, and tested him on a private track.

They found him to be aggressive, selfish, and unwill to acknowledge his
limitations

They then gave him a joint to smoke, and repeated the test.

His driving improved - the theory being that the cannabis, whilst limiting
his ability to drive, made him more relaxed and made him more aware of his
limitations.

Obviously (and as was pointed out in the programme), this doesn't mean
driving while stoned should be legal, but it was an interesting, if
unexpected result - and certainly worthy of more investigation.

Thought I'd just throw that in for the sake of conversation :-)

Ian Smith June 18th 04 11:47 PM

"Marc Brett" wrote in message

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/06/18/everything_we_know_a.html

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to

the
received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that the
separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

snipped

Recently in Orkney, did some driving around the main street of
Stromness. Very narrow, 2-way traffic and pedestrians mingling,
standing in doorways to let cars past, etc. I paid a lot of attention
and initially found it daunting to drive, but soon realised it was one
of the safest non-pedestrianised "main streets" I ever experienced.
Locals found it second nature to look both ways before stepping out of
shop doorways. Likewise drivers patiently waited for pedestrians to go
about their business. It all seemed to work quite well. The only
"traffic control" measures there were single yellow lines to
discourage long-term obstructions.
In short, because of higher perceived danger levels, much more
caution is exercised, and a street ends up being safer.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

AndyMorris June 19th 04 12:00 AM

Nathaniel Porter wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Off wrote:

[...]

Dope messes with your perception of speed, smoke enough and try to drive and
the cops will pull you over for doing 10 mph on a clear road.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Tony Raven June 19th 04 07:49 AM

AndyMorris wrote:

Dope messes with your perception of speed, smoke enough and try to drive and
the cops will pull you over for doing 10 mph on a clear road.

Sounds like that might have been personal experience there ;-)

Tony

Nathaniel Porter June 19th 04 09:12 AM

"AndyMorris" wrote in message
Nathaniel Porter wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Off wrote:

[...]

Which is what you'd expect - but this didn't happen in the (obviously
relatively unscientific) experiment shown above. What did happen was he
drove slowly (but not that slowly), and was so paranoid about hitting
anything or messing up (which is one of the effects of dope) that he
actually drove carefully and did manage to spot all the hazards thrown at
him, and he dealt with them well.

Just to reiterate, I'm not meaning to say that driving while stoned should
be legal - but as I say the results of this experiment were rather
unexpected and most interesting :-)

Tony Raven June 19th 04 09:47 AM

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

Which is what you'd expect - but this didn't happen in the (obviously
relatively unscientific) experiment shown above. What did happen was he
drove slowly (but not that slowly), and was so paranoid about hitting
anything or messing up (which is one of the effects of dope) that he
actually drove carefully and did manage to spot all the hazards thrown at
him, and he dealt with them well.

Just to reiterate, I'm not meaning to say that driving while stoned should
be legal - but as I say the results of this experiment were rather
unexpected and most interesting :-)

{Puff} Like yeah man {puff}

Tony ;-)

Annabel Smyth June 19th 04 11:59 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 at 23:41:20, David Off
wrote:

Marc Brett wrote:
The pilot
projects were so successful in fostering better urban environments
that the ideas spread rapidly to Belgium, France

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

That's why it doesn't work..... if you go to St-Omer from the Tunnel via
the N road, not the motorway, you used to go through a village (now,
happily, bypassed) which had no fewer than 9 pedestrian crossings, as
advertised at the start of the speed limit signs. Never saw any
pedestrians using them, though, or any traffic taking any notice.

Some "passages cloutés" are raised up, though, making their own speed
bumps.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

JNugent June 19th 04 12:02 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Annabel Smyth wrote:

[ ... ]

..... if you go to St-Omer from the Tunnel
via the N road, not the motorway, you used to go through a village
(now, happily, bypassed) which had no fewer than 9 pedestrian
crossings, as advertised at the start of the speed limit signs.
Never saw any pedestrians using them, though, or any traffic taking
any notice.

I have stopped at such crossing-places (in France and Belgium) in the past,
only to be met with bemused stares from the waiting pedestrians (who seem
not prepared to cross until all the traffic is dissipated - thereby undoing
the purpose of the the crossings) and blasts of the horn from following
drivers.

---

[Not Responding] June 19th 04 01:03 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:02:20 +0100, "JNugent"
wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote:

[ ... ]

..... if you go to St-Omer from the Tunnel
via the N road, not the motorway, you used to go through a village
(now, happily, bypassed) which had no fewer than 9 pedestrian
crossings, as advertised at the start of the speed limit signs.
Never saw any pedestrians using them, though, or any traffic taking
any notice.

I have stopped at such crossing-places (in France and Belgium) in the past,
only to be met with bemused stares from the waiting pedestrians (who seem
not prepared to cross until all the traffic is dissipated - thereby undoing
the purpose of the the crossings) and blasts of the horn from following
drivers.

Same happened to me when I was cycling in France; stopped at "zebra
crossing" to allow waiting peds to cross. Result; peds continue to
wait, I continue to wait and motorised traffic continues to flow.
Bemused looks between cyclists and French people.

Pete Smith June 19th 04 01:40 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

In article ,
says...
Nathaniel Porter wrote:

[...]

Sounds like that episode of "The Detectives" where Jasper Carrot and Robert
Powell eat the "oxo" cubes they found, and ended up driving down the road,
noses to the windscreen, and Carrot screaming "We're going too fast" while
going slower than walking pace!

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Paul Dicken June 20th 04 05:22 PM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to the
received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that the
separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

Now that really /is/ new. Unless you've read JS Dean's 1946 book
"Murder Most Foul". Or Bob Davis' "Death On The Streets". Or Mayer
Hillman's "One False Move".

Guy

Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a meeting I
attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of glass and drivers
seated on them. His view was that standards of driving will go up
immediately. Seeing how Volvo drivers seem to have total disregard for their
and all other road users' safety, I suspect the safety cocoon they have
purchased has lulled them into a sense of false security - at least for the
rest of us!

Just zis Guy, you know? June 20th 04 06:26 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:22:59 +0100, "Paul Dicken"
wrote in message
:

Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a meeting I
attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of glass and drivers
seated on them. His view was that standards of driving will go up
immediately. Seeing how Volvo drivers seem to have total disregard for their
and all other road users' safety, I suspect the safety cocoon they have
purchased has lulled them into a sense of false security - at least for the
rest of us!

For varying values of Volvo drivers.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/.../Documents/GPV

Richard J. June 20th 04 08:08 PM

Paul Dicken wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
message ...
Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to
the received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that
the separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

Now that really /is/ new. Unless you've read JS Dean's 1946 book
"Murder Most Foul". Or Bob Davis' "Death On The Streets". Or
Mayer Hillman's "One False Move".

Guy

Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a
meeting I attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of
glass and drivers seated on them. His view was that standards of
driving will go up immediately.

.... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely? That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens. We've all read stories of late-night crashes
where a carful of young people were killed or injured after they were
thrown from their car, presumably because they were too drunk or high to
remember to put on their seat belts.
--
Richard J.

Just zis Guy, you know? June 20th 04 10:15 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:08:54 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote in message
:

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely? That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens.

On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

Velvet June 20th 04 10:37 PM

wrote in message
:

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely? That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens.

On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

Guy

Not all of them do, ta :-) I don't rely on ABS to stop me quicker - I
use it to even out the fact that the car in front probably has it and
will stop quicker than I can if I don't have it... so my driving hasn't
changed in that respect. Seatbelts - always worn one, always will, so
can't comment on how I'd drive without one. Airbags? I'd rather it
didn't go off, ta, so it's another incentive to not have an accident
that'll make it explode in front of me.

Airbags have been implicated in some rather nasty accidents that might
have been less nasty had the airbag not gone off, so I have very mixed
feelings about being in a car equipped with several of the things.

Yes it might stop me cracking my head open on the steering wheel, but on
hte other hand I'd rather not have massive chest injuries caused by it..

So it's not quite as clear cut that all the extra safety stuff makes
people drive less carefully :-)

--

Velvet

Andy Hewitt June 20th 04 11:04 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Velvet wrote:

Snipped Text
On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

Guy

Not all of them do, ta :-) I don't rely on ABS to stop me quicker - I
use it to even out the fact that the car in front probably has it and
will stop quicker than I can if I don't have it... so my driving hasn't
changed in that respect. Seatbelts - always worn one, always will, so
can't comment on how I'd drive without one. Airbags? I'd rather it
didn't go off, ta, so it's another incentive to not have an accident
that'll make it explode in front of me.

Airbags have been implicated in some rather nasty accidents that might
have been less nasty had the airbag not gone off, so I have very mixed
feelings about being in a car equipped with several of the things.

Agreed, although not because of what they do, I know how reliable they
are(n't).

Yes it might stop me cracking my head open on the steering wheel, but on
hte other hand I'd rather not have massive chest injuries caused by it..

Actually it's wearing a seat belt that causes the chest injuries. An air
bag only causes friction burns on your arms. All an air bag is designed
to do is to stop whiplash injuries by absorbing your forward momentum.
The bag is actually deflating as you hit it. If you don't wear a seat
belt your face hits the steering wheel as the bag is deployed. This is
where injuries occur - usually fatally. Hence the term 'Supplementary
Restraint System'.

So it's not quite as clear cut that all the extra safety stuff makes
people drive less carefully :-)

It is, there are always a few exceptions. Unfortunately you can't easily
measure it, but observations suggest that having the safety devices does
indeed 'encourage' more aggressive driving.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Graeme June 21st 04 12:50 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Richard J." wrote in news:q9mBc.1219$L_
:

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely? That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.

"more safely" not "safely". The introduction of seat belts didn't result in
less accidents, just people driving a little more carelessly.

Graeme

Gawnsoft June 21st 04 04:08 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

wrote in message
:

Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a meeting I
attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of glass and drivers
seated on them. His view was that standards of driving will go up
immediately. Seeing how Volvo drivers seem to have total disregard for their
and all other road users' safety, I suspect the safety cocoon they have
purchased has lulled them into a sense of false security - at least for the
rest of us!

For varying values of Volvo drivers.

Up to point, Lord Copper... ;-)
--
Cheers,
Euan

Gawnsoft June 21st 04 04:13 AM

wrote (more or less):

Paul Dicken wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
message ...
Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to
the received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that
the separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

Now that really /is/ new. Unless you've read JS Dean's 1946 book
"Murder Most Foul". Or Bob Davis' "Death On The Streets". Or
Mayer Hillman's "One False Move".

Guy

Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a
meeting I attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of
glass and drivers seated on them. His view was that standards of
driving will go up immediately.

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely?

There is a big difference between 'more safely' and 'absolutely
safely'.

People drive less safely with seatbelts than they do without seatbelts
== People drive more safely without seatbelts than they do with
seatbelts. people never have accidents when driving without a
seatbelt.

That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens. We've all read stories of late-night crashes
where a carful of young people were killed or injured after they were
thrown from their car, presumably because they were too drunk or high to
remember to put on their seat belts.

You seem to be mixing up 'drive more safely' with 'never have
accidents at all', and conflating severity of accident with
risk-taking while driving.

Orienteer June 21st 04 07:08 AM

wrote in message
:

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely? That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens.

On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

Guy

Not all of them do, ta :-) I don't rely on ABS to stop me quicker - I
use it to even out the fact that the car in front probably has it and
will stop quicker than I can if I don't have it... so my driving hasn't

snipped

Bit of a myth that ABS enables a vehicle to stop quicker, in fact it can
have the opposite effect. It's purpose is to enable the vehicle to be
steered while braking hard, which without ABS often results in a skid and
loss of control.

Velvet June 21st 04 07:31 AM

Orienteer wrote:

wrote in message
:

[...]

However, in the situation where the vehicle in front has ABS, and will
brake it to the maximum without inducing a skid (skidding leads to
longer stopping times?) it means that the following vehicle has to be
able to control their braking to the same fine degree to avoid starting
the skid, and many will either be too cautious or overcook and skid...

So in my experience (and I do speak from experience) when you avoid a
skid in a non-abs car and the one in front does have it, you end up
braking slower, with obvious consequences if you're close enough...

--

Velvet

Mark Tranchant June 21st 04 07:57 AM

Velvet wrote:

So in my experience (and I do speak from experience) when you avoid a
skid in a non-abs car and the one in front does have it, you end up
braking slower, with obvious consequences if you're close enough...

You mean "too close".

--
Mark.

Just zis Guy, you know? June 21st 04 08:29 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:37:33 GMT, Velvet
wrote in message :

On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

Not all of them do, ta :-)

I don't think anyone is immune to risk compensation, although some
people have a more realistic view of the merits of various safety aids
than others. The comment refers to research done on drivers with and
without ABS and seatbelts, which showed that they drove faster and
less safely when using those devices.

See Risk by John Adams.

I don't rely on ABS to stop me quicker - I
use it to even out the fact that the car in front probably has it and
will stop quicker than I can if I don't have it...

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances. It allows
you to steer while braking.

So it's not quite as clear cut that all the extra safety stuff makes
people drive less carefully :-)

It is, though. The taxi driver ABS trial was a near-perfect
double-blind study and it showed that those driving ABS equipped cars
accelerated harder, braked harder, drove faster and followed closer.

Grant Mason June 21st 04 09:42 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances.

Yes it does.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca...99-01-1287.pdf

"For most stopping maneuvers, made on most test surfaces, ABS-assisted panic
stops were found to be shorter than those made with best effort or full
pedal applications with the ABS disabled"

Richard J. June 21st 04 09:43 AM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I don't rely on ABS to stop me quicker - I
use it to even out the fact that the car in front probably has it
and will stop quicker than I can if I don't have it...

If you are relying on ABS to stop you, you are driving too close to the
vehicle in front.

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances. It
allows you to steer while braking.

Er, have you driven on snow with and without ABS? It certainly does
affect stopping distance on ice or snow.
--
Richard J.

Richard J. June 21st 04 09:43 AM

wrote (more or less):

Paul Dicken wrote:
Mention of Mayer Hillman reminded me of a view he expressed in a
meeting I attended. He suggested all car bumpers should be made of
glass and drivers seated on them. His view was that standards of
driving will go up immediately.

... because people driving in a vulnerable vehicle would drive more
safely?

There is a big difference between 'more safely' and 'absolutely
safely'.

People drive less safely with seatbelts than they do without
seatbelts == People drive more safely without seatbelts than they
do with seatbelts. people never have accidents when driving
without a seatbelt.

I assume that means "not that"; please write in English. Are you
suggesting that we should abandon seat belts in order that we should
drive more safely?

That idea didn't seem to work before seat belts were invented,
when occupants used to die by being ejected through the windscreen.
Indeed it still happens. We've all read stories of late-night
crashes where a carful of young people were killed or injured
after they were thrown from their car, presumably because they
were too drunk or high to remember to put on their seat belts.

You seem to be mixing up 'drive more safely' with 'never have
accidents at all', and conflating severity of accident with
risk-taking while driving.

Well, severity of accident is part of the safety equation. My point was
that before seat belts were introduced, there were very many disastrous
accidents because many people *didn't* drive safely enough to avoid
being thrown through the windscreen. Overall, driving with belts is
safer than it used to be, i.e. it kills fewer people.

--
Richard J.

John Laird June 21st 04 09:53 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

wrote in message :

So it's not quite as clear cut that all the extra safety stuff makes
people drive less carefully :-)

It is, though. The taxi driver ABS trial was a near-perfect
double-blind study and it showed that those driving ABS equipped cars
accelerated harder, braked harder, drove faster and followed closer.

What particular form of psychic capability was reckoned to account for this,
then ? As soon as any driver realised his vehicle had ABS, the trial failed
the double-blind test, which demands that those taking part and the
observers are both ignorant of the conditions.

(I don't have any problem with trials that show that drivers fully aware of
such features may "risk compensate" for them. But claiming to have
double-blind trial results smacks of very dodgy science.)

--
He said: Smile, things could be worse! I did! They were!

Mail john rather than nospam...

Just zis Guy, you know? June 21st 04 10:01 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:53:47 +0100, John Laird
wrote in message
:

It is, though. The taxi driver ABS trial was a near-perfect
double-blind study and it showed that those driving ABS equipped cars
accelerated harder, braked harder, drove faster and followed closer.

What particular form of psychic capability was reckoned to account for this,
then ? As soon as any driver realised his vehicle had ABS, the trial failed
the double-blind test, which demands that those taking part and the
observers are both ignorant of the conditions.

The condition being tested was "driver knowingly driving ABS equipped
car". The drivers did not know which cars were fitted with measuring
devices, and the observers did not know which measuring devices
werefitted to cars with ABS.

Just zis Guy, you know? June 21st 04 10:05 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:42:13 +0100, "Grant Mason"
wrote in message :

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances.

Yes it does.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca...99-01-1287.pdf
"For most stopping maneuvers, made on most test surfaces, ABS-assisted panic
stops were found to be shorter than those made with best effort or full
pedal applications with the ABS disabled"

Because people don't know how to brake. But the statement was overly
simplistic, of course.

ABS does not increase the power of the brakes, and does not increase
the coefficient of friction. All it does is make it less likely that
the driver will lock the wheels.

Which, to a first approximation, is the same thing as "doesn't stop
you quicker" - letting people believe that ABS stops you quicker is
Not Smart in my view because in the end it doesn't affect the two main
factors in stopping you.

Actually the grip on my current car is so good that I haven't managed
to trigger the ABS yet, even when I've tried.

Graeme June 21st 04 10:06 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Richard J." wrote in news:b5yBc.1632
:

Overall, driving with belts is
safer than it used to be, i.e. it kills fewer people.

That's not what the research that the government did showed. Then again,
they don't tend to shout about that research too much for obvious reasons.

Graeme

Annabel Smyth June 21st 04 10:22 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 at 23:15:30, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On the other hand, they drive less carefully when protected by
airbags, abs and seatbelts.

When I tried, abortively, to learn to drive many years ago now, my
father commented that one should always remember that *every* other car
on the road was driven by a murderer. A lesson which I passed on to my
daughter when she learnt to drive.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Just zis Guy, you know? June 21st 04 10:26 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:06:34 GMT, Graeme
wrote in message
:

That's not what the research that the government did showed. Then again,
they don't tend to shout about that research too much for obvious reasons.

Quite. You'll find the Isles Report in a locked filing cabinet in a
disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the
leopard" - you'll need a ladder and a flashlight thobut ;-)

John Laird June 21st 04 10:46 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

wrote in message
:

It is, though. The taxi driver ABS trial was a near-perfect
double-blind study and it showed that those driving ABS equipped cars
accelerated harder, braked harder, drove faster and followed closer.

What particular form of psychic capability was reckoned to account for this,
then ? As soon as any driver realised his vehicle had ABS, the trial failed
the double-blind test, which demands that those taking part and the
observers are both ignorant of the conditions.

The condition being tested was "driver knowingly driving ABS equipped
car". The drivers did not know which cars were fitted with measuring
devices, and the observers did not know which measuring devices
werefitted to cars with ABS.

That makes more sense, thanks. Of course, testing taxi drivers is highly
dubious in itself ;-)

--
Just a fake guitar player in the Monkees of life.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Graeme June 21st 04 11:49 AM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
:

Quite. You'll find the Isles Report in a locked filing cabinet in a
disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the
leopard" - you'll need a ladder and a flashlight thobut ;-)

For some reason the first thought that popped into my head after reading
that was "Hmm... must do my tax return." Now if anyone can explain the
thought process behind that I would be very grateful.

Graeme

David Hansen June 21st 04 12:58 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:43:35 GMT someone who may be "Richard J."
wrote this:-

My point was
that before seat belts were introduced, there were very many disastrous
accidents because many people *didn't* drive safely enough to avoid
being thrown through the windscreen. Overall, driving with belts is
safer than it used to be, i.e. it kills fewer people.

In theory you are correct.

However, practice is rather different to theory. Of course the
people not being killed as much are those inside cars, while those
being killed more are outside cars. If one has a road "safety"
policy that is only concerned with the former then one can present
this as a "success". See the Isles Report and the Durbin/Harvey
Report.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Graeme June 21st 04 01:27 PM

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
:

You'll find the Isles Report in a locked filing cabinet in a
disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the
leopard" - you'll need a ladder and a flashlight thobut ;-)

And on a related subject
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/index_new.shtml

Bloody excellent! Now if only I can sort out timed recordings so I don't
have to get up at 2am!
:-)
:-0

And I can imagine Guy's reaction :{)