Old June 22nd 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground Strike

I'm trying to find out which services (if any) will be running during the
strike.

Is this a blanket strike, covering every UK rail service in existence,
including London Underground, or are there some exceptions (like
Thameslink)? Have been trying to search for info, but I'm getting things
like "there was a high voter turnout". Who cares?? I just want to find out
what's running and what isn't. Can anyone help?

Alan

Old June 22nd 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:13:10 +0100, "Alan Ingham"
wrote:

I'm trying to find out which services (if any) will be running during the
strike.

Is this a blanket strike, covering every UK rail service in existence,
including London Underground, or are there some exceptions (like
Thameslink)? Have been trying to search for info, but I'm getting things
like "there was a high voter turnout". Who cares?? I just want to find out
what's running and what isn't. Can anyone help?

There is no detailed information yet. From the press reports it seems
there are three disputes in one.

Network rail - signallers and other staff who are in dispute over pay
and pensions. As the signallers cannot be replaced by stand in staff it
is very unlikely anything will run on the main line in the uk. Therefore
there will be huge problems for people travelling in from the
surrounding counties and obviously within London. Note also that if only
this action goes ahead then the Tube will still be affected - Wimbledon
branch, Richmond branch and Bakerloo line north of Queens Park where
most of the trains are maintained so services could be severely reduced.

LU - dispute over pay / working week. Previous RMT only strikes have
not closed the whole network but the service has been distinctly patchy.
One key element will be the extent to which stations are closed and also
if ASLEF drivers cross picket lines. The Circle, District, Met, H&C are
usually the worst lines with the Central, Bakerloo, Piccadilly and
Northern not far behind. The Vic and Jubilee have managed to squeeze
some sort of service out but it has been very, very limited.

Metronet companies - dispute over pay / working hours. When a strike has
previously been threatened on Metronet steps were taken to provide
alternative cover to allow trains to run. This is standard practice. I
would expect there to be further negotiations to try to get this action
called off.

My own view is that I doubt all 3 strikes will go ahead. The Infracos
are not keen on industrial action so I would expect to see progress on
the Metronet strike. I expect Ken will be having "meaningful"
discussions with the RMT over the LU dispute so I actually doubt that
will go ahead but we'll wait and see.

I expect the Network Rail strike will happen because the pension issue
is so fundamental to both sides. This will cause its own chaos and the
Tube system will not be immune from its effects.

Once the situation becomes clearer I would expect more sensible
information to be made available to people - but don't be surprised if
it is all very last minute given recent experience with threatened
strikes.
--
Paul C

Old June 22nd 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A A A A is offline

"Alan Ingham" wrote in message
. ..

I'm trying to find out which services (if any) will be running during the
strike.

Is this a blanket strike, covering every UK rail service in existence,
including London Underground, or are there some exceptions (like
Thameslink)? Have been trying to search for info, but I'm getting things
like "there was a high voter turnout". Who cares?? I just want to find out
what's running and what isn't. Can anyone help?

Alan

It looks like it will be total shut down, just not worth the hassle of
attempting to get around London. There may be a few services running but it
will be very unpredictable and no-one will know what's happening. One tube
strike day (only the tube, not rail as well) it took me almost 3 hours to
get from Battersea to Russell Square, buses running past bus stops without
stopping because they were stuffed full and absolutely gridlocked roads.
Just not worth it, take a day off or phone into work around 10.30-11.00 and
say you've been trying to get to work for hours and haven't made much
progress so there's no point in trying any further.

After my almost 3 hours of HELL I got to work at lunchtime to find that 13
out of 16 staff hadn't turned up, they'd all phoned in to say it was
impossible. I'll never do it again, I had to leave at 4.00 that day and I
didn't get home until 7.25!!

Complete joke, don't stress yourself Alan!

:-o

Andy