London Banter

-   -   Tube Strike Info on LUL Website (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1900-tube-strike-info-lul-website.html)

Spyke June 29th 04 07:27 PM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

At the moment (Tuesday 20:30ish) the Tube website is reporting 'Good
Service' on all lines except the Northern, when supposedly the strike
should've started 2 hours ago.
Is this really the case or just LUL being slow to communicate
information?
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Richard J. June 29th 04 07:42 PM

Spyke wrote:
At the moment (Tuesday 20:30ish) the Tube website is reporting 'Good
Service' on all lines except the Northern, when supposedly the
strike should've started 2 hours ago.
Is this really the case or just LUL being slow to communicate
information?

I assume it's because the site staff are on strike. The LU press centre
have promised an update to the media at 21:00 this evening, so perhaps
we'll get something posted then. The RMT site is, as usual, 4 days
behind the times.

Anyone seen an LU train in the last hour?

--
Richard J.

Colin June 29th 04 07:46 PM

"Spyke" wrote in message
At the moment (Tuesday 20:30ish) the Tube website is reporting 'Good
Service' on all lines except the Northern, when supposedly the strike
should've started 2 hours ago.
Is this really the case or just LUL being slow to communicate
information?
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express

do
not necessarily reflect those of the educational institution from which I

post.

The strike won't really bite until tomorrow. Only staff booking on after
6.30pm won't turn up - AFAIK nobody is walking out at 6.30pm despite the
press reporting, and those already working at 6.30pm will complete their
shift (they just won't work tomorrow afternoon / evening).

I thought that LUL were scare mongering a bit by telling people they had to
have their journeys complete by 6.30pm.

Grendel June 29th 04 08:15 PM

In article , Richard J. wrote:

Anyone seen an LU train in the last hour?

I did my usual journey from Leicester Square to Hammersmith at 5:30 this
evening - no problems at all, if anything the train was a little less
crowded than usual, weirdly..

Tomorrow morning should be interesting, though.. I think I'm bussing it
to Hyde Park Corner and walking from there!

Spyke June 29th 04 08:31 PM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

In message , Richard J.
writes
Spyke wrote:
At the moment (Tuesday 20:30ish) the Tube website is reporting 'Good
Service' on all lines except the Northern, when supposedly the
strike should've started 2 hours ago.
Is this really the case or just LUL being slow to communicate
information?

I assume it's because the site staff are on strike. The LU press centre
have promised an update to the media at 21:00 this evening, so perhaps
we'll get something posted then. The RMT site is, as usual, 4 days
behind the times.

The site has now been updated to show 'limited service' on all lines, so
obviously they were just being a bit slow or the strike took time to
take effect.

Richard J. June 29th 04 08:59 PM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

Spyke wrote:
In message ,
Richard J. writes
Spyke wrote:
At the moment (Tuesday 20:30ish) the Tube website is reporting
'Good Service' on all lines except the Northern, when supposedly
the
strike should've started 2 hours ago.
Is this really the case or just LUL being slow to communicate
information?

I assume it's because the site staff are on strike. The LU press
centre have promised an update to the media at 21:00 this evening,
so perhaps we'll get something posted then. The RMT site is, as
usual, 4 days behind the times.

The site has now been updated to show 'limited service' on all
lines, so obviously they were just being a bit slow or the strike
took time to take effect.

It also says "Update at 21.00 hours - last trains will be leaving
central London shortly[,] after which there will be no further Tube
services tonight." This is on the LU home page. The LU and TfL "Live
Travel News" pages had no such info, but in the last few minutes have
started to put up "no service" messages for various lines.
--
Richard J.

dave F June 29th 04 09:34 PM

No service on the LU! ouch!!!!!!!!!!

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/nexus/

John Ray June 29th 04 11:41 PM

Colin wrote:

I thought that LUL were scare mongering a bit by telling people they had to
have their journeys complete by 6.30pm.

They were probably being cautious, because trains were in fact running
later than that. I got to Regents Park station at about 2015, where
there was a notice saying that the last southbound train would be at
2032 (I didn't notice the time of the last northbound). About a minute
after I got to the platform a train arrived, almost empty; there were
only 3 or 4 people in the leading car. The position wasn't much
different when I got out at Charing Cross.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Niklas Karlsson June 30th 04 07:57 AM

In article om, Grendel wrote:
In article , Richard J. wrote:

Anyone seen an LU train in the last hour?

I did my usual journey from Leicester Square to Hammersmith at 5:30 this
evening - no problems at all, if anything the train was a little less
crowded than usual, weirdly..

Those who could probably found non-LU routes to use. I know I did.

I don't commute into central London, but last night I wanted to meet up
with a friend who was staying at a hotel on Pepys St. Living and working
along the Waterloo-Reading line, I ended up going to London Bridge via
Waterloo East and walking across Tower Bridge...

Niklas
--
"I know that most airline computer systems are presumably kept running by flying
in consultants from the nursing homes around Armonk..."

Geoff Marshall June 30th 04 08:07 AM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

I did my usual journey last night home too!

Got to OXford Circus to go down to Waterloo at 8pm, and the Bakerloo was
running fine! A sign at OC said that "trains would be stopping at 8pm",
but I got on one at 8.02, and there were two more after that displayed on
Countdown !

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's only the
jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

"Grendel" wrote in message
ry.com...
In article , Richard J.

Richard J. June 30th 04 09:31 AM

Geoff Marshall wrote:
I did my usual journey last night home too!

Got to OXford Circus to go down to Waterloo at 8pm, and the
Bakerloo was running fine! A sign at OC said that "trains would
be stopping at 8pm", but I got on one at 8.02, and there were two
more after that displayed on Countdown !

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's
only the jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

Quite good considering there's a strike, but it's less than 20% of the
normal peak service. At 09:30, LU were reporting 95 trains in service,
compared with around 500 for a normal morning peak. In addition to the
Jubilee line closure, there are no Circle line trains, and some lines
have a token service, e.g. only Cockfosters-Arnos Grove on the
Piccadilly; no District trains west of Whitechapel except for a
Gunnersbury-Richmond shuttle.

N.B. These details are on LU's home page, http://tube.tfl.gov.uk , not
on the usual Live Travel News page.

--
Richard J.

Tom Anderson June 30th 04 11:34 AM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Richard J. wrote:

Geoff Marshall wrote:

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's
only the jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

Quite good considering there's a strike, but it's less than 20% of the
normal peak service.

Who's driving them?

Anyway, roll on fully automated trains!

tom

--
so if you hear a chaffinch out on the pull attempting a severely off-key version of "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys then you're not actually going mad.

Niklas Karlsson June 30th 04 11:38 AM

Geoff Marshall wrote:

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's
only the jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

Quite good considering there's a strike, but it's less than 20% of the
normal peak service.

Who's driving them?

Ken and his minions?

Anyway, roll on fully automated trains!

Hmmmmmm. Even the DLR would probably be in trouble if the
conductors/Train Managers/whatever they're called went on strike.

Niklas
--
"The trouble with international politics is that it's just like schoolyard
politics amongst a bunch of 8-year-olds. Except that the international

J Lynch June 30th 04 11:59 AM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's
only the jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

Quite good considering there's a strike, but it's less than 20% of the
normal peak service. At 09:30, LU were reporting 95 trains in service,
compared with around 500 for a normal morning peak. In addition to the
Jubilee line closure, there are no Circle line trains, and some lines
have a token service, e.g. only Cockfosters-Arnos Grove on the
Piccadilly; no District trains west of Whitechapel except for a
Gunnersbury-Richmond shuttle.

N.B. These details are on LU's home page, http://tube.tfl.gov.uk , not
on the usual Live Travel News page.

--
Richard J.

Looking at the real time disruption map (http://map.tfl.gov.uk/realtime.asp)
site at 1245 on Wednesday gives the impression that only the Circle Line is
affected. This is not quite true as noted above and as can also currently be
seen from the descriptions on
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/service_rt_all.shtml. To imply that the
Piccadilly is unaffected when it only operates between Cockfosters and Arnos
Grove, or that the Central Line is operating normally when there is no
service west of Mile End, or that the Jubilee is unaffected when there is no
service south / east of Neasden is more than a little misleading.

The Gunnersbury - Richmond service referred to on the District Line is
presumably actually the Silverlink North Woolwich service? This means that
the District effectively has no service west of Whitechapel yet the real
time map shows no problems. Is this a bit of spin at work or simply a lack
of time to produce an accurate map at a time of uncertainty as to exactly
what might be operating?

Jason June 30th 04 12:02 PM

Tube Strike Info on LUL Website

In article , Richard
J. wrote:

Anyone seen an LU train in the last hour?

I got a VERY empty Metropolitan line from Moorgate to Liverpool Street
at about 18:35 last night, so it hadn't started on the Met line then -
but given that the were running one of the bigger services this
morning, this makes sense.

Cheers,

Jason.

Richard J. June 30th 04 12:44 PM

J Lynch wrote:

The Gunnersbury - Richmond service referred to on the District Line
is presumably actually the Silverlink North Woolwich service?

LU say it's 2 trains at 20-minute intervals. I think it's likely that 2
District trains were stabled at Richmond overnight and are running a
shuttle service to and from Gunnersbury, under Network Rail signalling,
using ASLEF or rebel RMT drivers.
--
Richard J.

Colin PATTENDEN June 30th 04 05:12 PM

Geoff Marshall wrote:

There's quite a good service running this mornig as well .. it's
only the jubilee i think which doesn't have any service at all ...

Quite good considering there's a strike, but it's less than 20% of the
normal peak service.

Who's driving them?

aslef drivers.

As usual the media are reporting "thousands of train drivers, signal and
engineering staff are on strike" Maybe they should report the facts. Its
mainly the station, signal and engineering staff" RMT members only make up
less than a 3rd of train ops. You'll find that the amount of staffed
stations is what's limiting the service in such a way. If they could found
more of the managers, and other staff to open the stations you would find
they would be a higher percentage of trains running. Not a full service but
a better one. Instead you'll find alot of drivers sitting around willing to
work.