Old July 1st 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Monorail!

Hi all,

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 1st 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Hi all,

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

MonoMetro Limited is said to be owned by architect Gareth Pearce and
three other partners. Is this the same Gareth Pearce who features in
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,586889,00.html ? He
was variously described on that occasion as "virtually unemployed",
"inefficient", "arrogant and unreasonable". He now wants to demonstrate
his concept by linking Kensington High Street and Oxford Street by a
monorail *across Hyde Park*!
--
Richard J.

Old July 2nd 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

John Rowland wrote:
I'll believe that when I see it!

It has been said before;
a monorail is a poor, expensive solution for a transportation system.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see
Old July 2nd 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

I'll believe that when I see it!

It has been said before;
a monorail is a poor, expensive solution for a transportation system.

Hmm... I saw this a little while ago. Should I even bother putting it on
my site?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old July 2nd 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:57:59 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
Hi all,

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

Well indeed. What a complete waste of time and effort. No one would
sanction the construction of such a monstrosity across Hyde Park and he
may find it a tad difficult to provide any foundations in and around
Oxford Circus - there's a bit of big hole underground :-)

MonoMetro Limited is said to be owned by architect Gareth Pearce and
three other partners. Is this the same Gareth Pearce who features in
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,586889,00.html ? He
was variously described on that occasion as "virtually unemployed",
"inefficient", "arrogant and unreasonable". He now wants to demonstrate
his concept by linking Kensington High Street and Oxford Street by a
monorail *across Hyde Park*!

Hmm - an alternative view of how to win friends and influence people.
--
Paul C

Old July 2nd 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, John Rowland wrote:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

There's at least one picture of it in the architecture gallery at the RA
summer exhibition (which has some good stuff this year - worth a visit for
the architecture and the drawings by non-artists, even if the real art is
the usual twee toss).

tom

--
Gotta treat 'em mean to make 'em scream.

Old July 2nd 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

I'll believe that when I see it!

It has been said before;
a monorail is a poor, expensive solution for a transportation system.

monorail, n. A railway with more than two rails.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 2nd 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, John Rowland wrote:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

There's at least one picture of it in the architecture gallery at
the RA summer exhibition (which has some good stuff this year -
worth a visit for the architecture and the drawings by
non-artists, even if the real art is the usual twee toss).

Presumably it's one of the pictures that's already available on the web.
According to articles in The Wharf, the freesheet that circulates around
Canary Wharf, it "will achieve speeds of around 30 miles per hour in
town" (less than the tubes), and "would carry as many as 20,000
passengers an hour to and from Liverpool St [from Canary Wharf] in under
12 minutes". Note that Crossrail would carry up to 24,000 passsengers
an hour to Liverpool Street in 7 minutes (from Isle of Dogs, aka west
India Quay), would also relieve congestion on other routes, and would
not blight the street scene in the process.

Ken Livingstone provided the following response to a question from a GLA
member in January 2002, when Monometro was called Dragonfly MonoMetro:
"All monorail systems have common problems and failings which make them
difficult to justify. Monorails have operational drawbacks; are
incompatible with existing systems; have great difficulty in providing
safe evacuation routes and meeting the requirements of the Disability
Discrimination Act. All elevated monorails also have the disadvantage of
intrusive and unattractive structures. From the material shown to TfL
officers they have concluded that Dragonfly concept has not yet produced
any new ideas that overcome the basic drawbacks of monorails."

--
Richard J.

Old July 2nd 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Hi all,

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I'll believe that when I see it!

MonoMetro Limited is said to be owned by architect Gareth Pearce and
three other partners. Is this the same Gareth Pearce who features in
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,586889,00.html ? He
was variously described on that occasion as "virtually unemployed",
"inefficient", "arrogant and unreasonable". He now wants to demonstrate
his concept by linking Kensington High Street and Oxford Street by a
monorail *across Hyde Park*!

Are all monorail schemes run by loons?

The recent one round here was from Ambersham Group , who I hear have a
history of failed monorail ideas, running from Western international market
to the new brentford football ground. I couldn't come up with a more crazy
scheme if I tried.

Steve
Old July 3rd 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Peake" wrote in message
Are all monorail schemes run by loons?

The recent one round here was from Ambersham Group , who I hear have a
history of failed monorail ideas, running from Western international market
to the new brentford football ground. I couldn't come up with a more crazy
scheme if I tried.

I thought it was to run from Heathrow to Hammersmith, along the A4?

Robin