Old July 11th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Decks vs hinges

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:49:56 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 at 19:18:23, Marratxi
wrote:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 at 17:49:53, Tom Anderson
wrote:
Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?
Because wheelchair users can't climb stairs.
Annabel Smyth

Surely they could be accomodated on the lower deck ?

You would have thought..... but maybe it would be seen as being Unfair
to people with disabilities to have areas of the bus where they can't
go?

Funny that. Most times I get on a 29, 329 or 121 at Wood Green, the
lower deck is jammed with stupid ****s you can't get past to get up
the stairs to use the three-quarters empty top deck....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old July 11th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper wrote:

Funny that. Most times I get on a 29, 329 or 121 at Wood Green, the
lower deck is jammed with stupid ****s you can't get past to get up
the stairs to use the three-quarters empty top deck....

Which seems like an excellent argument for not bothering with double deckers
at all?

Old July 11th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alistair McIndoe" wrote in message

I think it depends which photo you look at. Are they all different

models?
The one at http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=3&off=0
seems to be a one-piece (possibly non-bendy) triple decker. The one at
http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=4&off=0 appears to

be
a normal coach/bus with a triple-decker trailer. Is being able to walk
between the halves what makes a bendy bus a bendy bus, rather than a bus

and
a trailer? And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

I think you'll find that the triple-decker arrangement is to allow sleeping
accomodation (horizontally) and there is actually only one deck for normal
seating. These are essentially long-distance tourer/camper coaches
Cheerz,
Baz

Old July 11th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:07:20 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I take your point. I understand that in some places, they have
double-decked trams

DD trams used to be standard in the British Isles, and they also
existed elsewhere but fell out of favour. They are now found in
Blackpool, Hong Kong, Alexandria and Birkenhead (which hardly counts).
None are articulated.

and trains, too. Seems like an easy and general way to
increase capacity (obviously not very practical for tube lines, though).

Not, a tube, but the Thameslink-like RER in Paris has double deck
trains.

Talgo are building a prototype double-deck articualted train, which
they claim will be a first. Double-deck trains are common, but at the
moment they all have single-deck gangways between carriages. The Talgo
train will be double-deck throughout its full length.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 11th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I take your point. I understand that in some places, they have
double-decked trams

DD trams used to be standard in the British Isles,

Some nice examples can be seen at London's Transport Museum in Covent
Garden.

and trains, too. Seems like an easy and general way to
increase capacity (obviously not very practical for tube lines, though).

Not, a tube, but the Thameslink-like RER in Paris has double deck
trains.

SNCB run double-deck commuter trains in the Greater Brussels area (and
maybe elsewhere, I don't know). I understand NS run DD trains in
Amsterdam too.

Niklas
--
"Since then, Kiev has survived Mongol invasions, devastating fires, communist
urban planning and the massive destruction of WWII."
Old July 11th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

http://tinyurl.com/24xj6
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see
Old July 11th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Jul 2004 12:14:26 GMT, Niklas Karlsson wrote:

SNCB run double-deck commuter trains in the Greater Brussels area (and
maybe elsewhere, I don't know). I understand NS run DD trains in
Amsterdam too.

Conventional double deck trains aren't unusual abroad. They are widely
used in FR, NL, DE, CH, AT, FI, PL, CZ, US, CA and no doubt many other
countries... even St Kitt's has some, on 2'6" gauge track!
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 11th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

Because they would go over the 3-axle weight limit for roads?

ISTR one bendi weighs the same as about 2.5 Routemasters.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

Old July 11th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:43:22 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

3 sets of doors on a double decker would leave very little space for
downstairs seating

Only because they're too short. Why not build them the length of the
longest (non-bendy) single-decker that will fit the routes they
operate?

There are some *huge* ones in Berlin.

Incidentally, in Brussels at the weekend I noticed that more or less
all the (single-decker) buses were low floor more or less throughout
with 3 sets of doors, one right at the back, and were mid-engined. I
wonder why that's never made it to the UK. Surely the engine could be
accommodated under/by the stairs in a decker, perhaps with the
(front?) wheels individually driven in some way?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain