London Banter

-   -   Paddington Bear at Paddington Station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1956-paddington-bear-paddington-station.html)

Bob Martin July 14th 04 12:26 AM

Paddington Bear at Paddington Station

IIRC, the Paddington Bear in the glass case at Paddington Station was
removed "for the duration of the renovations", but doesn't seem to have ever
reappeared?

dwb July 14th 04 07:59 AM

Bob Martin wrote:
IIRC, the Paddington Bear in the glass case at Paddington Station was
removed "for the duration of the renovations", but doesn't seem to
have ever reappeared?

Asylum process fell through and he was shipped back to Peru.

Al July 14th 04 08:03 AM

Bob Martin wrote:

IIRC, the Paddington Bear in the glass case at Paddington Station was
removed "for the duration of the renovations", but doesn't seem to have
ever reappeared?

He was on Al-Jazeera. Apparently, the RMT union kidnapped the bear
threatening to behead it unless Arthur Scargill could be given an honorary
GCSE. But then Bob Crow started an intimate relationship with our Peruvian
friend that will no doubt be made one day into a block-busting tear-jerker.

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!
--
Al

John Rowland July 14th 04 08:42 AM

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury? Where does he point now?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Al July 14th 04 09:02 AM

John Rowland wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury? Where does he point now?

As an aside, 'Eros' is actually the christian angel of charity rather than
the greek god.

He did use to face Shaftesbury Avenue, but now faces Lower Regent Street.
--
Al

John Rowland July 14th 04 10:30 AM

"Al" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury?

He did use to face Shaftesbury Avenue

Oh, I thought he pointed at Shaftesbury (the town in or near Dorset)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Martin Underwood July 14th 04 01:51 PM

"Al" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury? Where does he point now?

As an aside, 'Eros' is actually the christian angel of charity rather than
the greek god.

He did use to face Shaftesbury Avenue, but now faces Lower Regent Street.

Also, the arrow that he carries points downwards, as if to bury the shaft
(shafts-bury, get it?) - maybe it wasn't such an appalling pun when the Eros
statue was originally designed!

Mike Hughes July 14th 04 07:24 PM

Paddington Bear at Paddington Station

In message , Al
writes
John Rowland wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury? Where does he point now?

As an aside, 'Eros' is actually the christian angel of charity rather than
the greek god.

He did use to face Shaftesbury Avenue, but now faces Lower Regent Street.

Just to add to your (correct) observations.

The statue was sculpted by Alfred Gilbert and is the first public statue
made from Aluminium.

To re-inforce the point (pun intended) there is *no* arrow in the bow to
signify 'the shaft is buried'

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

jimmy boy July 14th 04 07:38 PM

Paddington Bear at Paddington Station

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Al
writes
John Rowland wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

And they put Eros back facing the wrong way too. *******s!

Didn't he used to point at Shaftesbury? Where does he point now?

As an aside, 'Eros' is actually the christian angel of charity rather

than
the greek god.

He did use to face Shaftesbury Avenue, but now faces Lower Regent Street.

Just to add to your (correct) observations.

The statue was sculpted by Alfred Gilbert and is the first public statue
made from Aluminium.

To re-inforce the point (pun intended) there is *no* arrow in the bow to
signify 'the shaft is buried'

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Just a thought if EROS is facing the wrong way does that mean that you have
to propell slowly??? ;-)

Jim

Raj Rijhwani July 14th 04 10:39 PM

Paddington Bear at Paddington Station

On Wednesday, in article

"Bob Martin" wrote:

IIRC, the Paddington Bear in the glass case at Paddington Station was
removed "for the duration of the renovations", but doesn't seem to have ever
reappeared?

Last time I was there (in March) the bronze statue was there. But I've
never seen one in a glass case.
--
Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"